Concealed carrier in Toledo sentenced to 6 yrs for manslaugh

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Concealed carrier in Toledo sentenced to 6 yrs for manslaugh

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.toledoblade.com/Courts/2017/ ... death.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Though a jury found him guilty of involuntary manslaughter, a Toledo man on Thursday maintained that he shot Willie “Chucky” Riley in self-defense.

“I did not want any trouble that night and I only fired because I was scared for my life and I couldn't leave,” Dai-Shawn Henson, 24, of the 1400 block of Milburn Avenue told Lucas County Common Pleas Judge Stacy Cook just before he was sentenced. “I cannot stress the fact that I never wanted to harm anyone, and my deepest sympathies go out to the family.”

Judge Cook sentenced Henson to six years in prison, which included the minimum term of three years for involuntary manslaughter and a mandatory three years for a firearm specification. He was convicted at trial Nov. 9 of the first-degree felony, which carried a maximum possible sentence of 11 years.

Judge Cook said she knew her sentence would not make either family happy — not Riley's family who wanted a longer prison term, not Henson's family who did not understand why he was convicted in the first place.

She said jurors told her after the verdict that they were conflicted over what happened in the split seconds between Riley, 32, threatening Henson, and Henson firing his weapon, which he had a permit to carry.

“I have never had a jury struggle with the emotion of this to the level that they did,” she said. “...They struggled very hard with whether or not this was a self-defense situation or whether it met the elements [of involuntary manslaughter.]”

Henson and his girlfriend were playing cards with a friend and Riley Feb. 14 when a very intoxicated Riley began making inappropriate comments. At one point, Henson and his girlfriend were trying to leave the Pinebrook Parkway apartment building when Riley swung a liquor bottle at Henson, prompting him to draw his gun.

Riley dropped the bottle and backed away, but when Riley's brother walked up and picked up the bottle, Riley spit at Henson, and Henson fired several shots. A bullet struck Riley in the back as he was fleeing down the stairs.

“The only reason my firearm was ever exposed was because I got struck with the bottle,” Henson told the court. “The only reason my firearm ever went off was because I was in fear for my life. I fired three shots, and I stopped as soon as I knew I could get out of that laundry room safe and unharmed. I never knew that someone would die as a result.”