Manslaughter charge for shooting burglar

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Manslaughter charge for shooting burglar

Post by Bruenor »

I guess it's nice that you want to help save your neighbors property, but you don't live in Texas...
http://www.thestate.com/news/local/crim ... 29393.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A South Carolina man is facing voluntary manslaughter charges after he was accused in the shooting death of a man suspected of being involved in a burglary.

Jason Dewayne Stephenson, of Greenville County, also was charged with possession of a weapon during a violent crime.
Bradley was running from the home, when he was shot in the back by Stephenson, the release stated. Bradley died at the scene. Stephenson was identified by the agency in the news release as a “bystander and neighbor who heard the commotion.”
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
M-Quigley

Re: Manslaughter charge for shooting burglar

Post by M-Quigley »

Bruenor wrote:I guess it's nice that you want to help save your neighbors property, but you don't live in Texas...
A relative of mine told me once that the tourism ad is true sometimes. "Texas is like a whole other country"

Although there are people in Texas who have escaped criminal charges over shooting simply over property, some of those people were left bankrupt from the civil suit.

As far as the guy who was charged, I can't imagine intentionally shooting someone in the back who is running away from a typical burglary, whether it was legal or not, whether I would get sued or not, whether it was my neighbors "stuff" or even my own, unless there were unusual circumstances involved that aren't mentioned in the news story. How is that self defense or defense of others?
Bruenor

Re: Manslaughter charge for shooting burglar

Post by Bruenor »

I often wonder if the people that are involved in this kind of event learned firearms use from TV and movies.. I've never heard an actual firearms instructor, self defense trainer or attorney suggest shooting at someone that is running away, for obvious and legal reasons.

I do see people in movies shoot at people, and vehicles that are fleeing all the time.

If not from TV and movies I am curious where people get the idea that this is OK..
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson