man charged with firing gun in city limits, a year later

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

man charged with firing gun in city limits, a year later

Post by Bruenor »

Do you normally use a gun safe, or some other solid object, as your safe direction at home when handling firearms ?

http://www.cleveland.com/hillcrest/inde ... n_a_y.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAYFIELD VILLAGE, Ohio
Criminal damage, SOM Center Road:

A man said Nov. 23 he and his mother were cooking and found a bullet in a cabinet they rarely access. He said they found wood splinters in the cabinet and then noticed the bullet and a hole. They subsequently noticed a hole in the siding of their condominium and then one in the neighbor's home as well. Officers spoke to the neighbor, who said he accidentally fired a gun while holstering it about a year ago. Officers removed several firearms from his home to be inventoried. The man, 66, was charged with criminal damage and discharging a firearm in city limits.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Brian D.

Re: man charged with firing gun in city limits, a year later

Post by Brian D. »

Yes, the safest possible direction. Every time.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

If I ever need to unload my carry at home, I always make sure the muzzle is aimed at my vest. 2 level 4 plates had better stop any negligent discharge.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Bianchi? wrote:If I ever need to unload my carry at home, I always make sure the muzzle is aimed at my vest. 2 level 4 plates had better stop any negligent discharge.
Hopefully, not while you're wearing it. :wink:
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Bruenor wrote:Do you normally use a gun safe, or some other solid object, as your safe direction at home when handling firearms ?

http://www.cleveland.com/hillcrest/inde ... n_a_y.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAYFIELD VILLAGE, Ohio
Criminal damage, SOM Center Road:

A man said Nov. 23 he and his mother were cooking and found a bullet in a cabinet they rarely access. He said they found wood splinters in the cabinet and then noticed the bullet and a hole. They subsequently noticed a hole in the siding of their condominium and then one in the neighbor's home as well. Officers spoke to the neighbor, who said he accidentally fired a gun while holstering it about a year ago. Officers removed several firearms from his home to be inventoried. The man, 66, was charged with criminal damage and discharging a firearm in city limits.
Are those's felony or misdemeanors if mis is the statue of limitation 6 months. :?: Maybe have a new piece of siding installed. :roll:
Black Rifles Matter
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I'm not sure when the clock starts running on the six month statute of limitations, Steve. If it's when the crime is first noticed and reported, the shooter would still be criminally liable here, right?

I really don't like the idea of ALL the guns being seized.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Brian D. wrote:I'm not sure when the clock starts running on the six month statute of limitations, Steve. If it's when the crime is first noticed and reported, the shooter would still be criminally liable here, right?

MM is 6 months. All other misdemeanors are 2 years. And the clock starts the day the offense occured, not once it is discovered.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2901.13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Brian D. wrote:I'm not sure when the clock starts running on the six month statute of limitations, Steve. If it's when the crime is first noticed and reported, the shooter would still be criminally liable here, right?

MM is 6 months. All other misdemeanors are 2 years. And the clock starts the day the offense occured, not once it is discovered.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2901.13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Would the arrest have to state when this happened. :?: Right to remain silent
Black Rifles Matter
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

steves 50de wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:

Would the arrest have to state when this happened. :?: Right to remain silent
The complaint or affidavit would need to have a date. If the time frame is outside of the statute of limitations this may be the only good time to speak, othe rise the right to remain silent should stand because they can use the discovery date as the date it occured.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.