Middletown churches how to better their buildings

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Middletown churches how to better their buildings

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/middletown-chu ... iMjY4xjSI/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MIDDLETOWN — Pastors said after meeting with representatives from the Middletown Division of Police they left better prepared in case an active shooter enters their church.

The meeting between the police and church leaders was arranged by Middletown Police Chief Rodney Muterspaw on the heels of the Texas church shooting on Nov. 5 that left 26 people dead and 20 injured, making it the deadliest mass shooting in the state’s history.

During the 90-minute seminar Friday in Council Chambers, Lt. David Birk, Detective Brandon Highley and Sgt. Sam Allen discussed ways for churches to better secure their buildings and protect their congregates.
Sounds good so far.
Grace Baptist Church in Middletown already has taken some steps, said Senior Pastor Max Fernandez. He said the church has hired an off-duty Middletown police officer to monitor the parking lot and inside the church building every Sunday morning. The officer also assists with traffic, he said.
Hopefully that's not the extent of their plan. Say for example an off duty officer would've been at the Texas church. It would've been better than what they had, (nothing) but he might've been the first one shot at.

Back in a previous century, I used to do church security. In one place I was outside the whole time, to protect the cars from being broke into. At another church I was with another guard, and we were also in the lot. At a certain time of day though, we had to go inside and stand in the back office, so anyone who really wanted to steal from cars could just wait us out I guess. We were mainly there to protect the massive amount of money the ushers brought in. (this was a big church with lots of parishioners) At least one or two of the ushers were allegedly off duty or retired cops, so they were packing too, even back then.
Years ago, during an active shooting, police didn’t enter the building until at least four officers were present. But now the first officer is instructed to find and apprehend the suspect.
“Waiting is costing lives,” Allen said.
The church leaders were told to:

Teach staff and members the proper way to apprehend a shooter and secure his weapon. Without training, employees may “freeze up” during an attack, Highley said.

Find ways to secure doors, whether that’s with bars, locks, belts or heavy furniture.
Although it's a good suggestion, I wouldn't count on securing a door as more than possibly a temporary delay. The nurse in Ohio that was killed by her ex was in a locked building, but the murderer allegedly just shot his way in.
Instruct those under attack to run to the nearest exit and not hide in a corner or under desks. “The threat has changed,” Birk said.

Create a “rally point” for congregates to meet after they escape an active shooter. They recommended neighboring churches sharing keys to their buildings, if possible.

Put letters or numbers on every exterior door to make it easier for law enforcement to understand the layout of the building.

Limit the number of entrances into a church so it’s easier to monitor who’s coming into the building.
Perhaps putting fire alarms on the doors not commonly used, so people can still get out if needed.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Middletown churches how to better their buildings

Post by qmti »

Two issues:
1. Is the church still prohibiting their parishioners from concealed carry?
2. Any door that is considered an egress must have emergency exit bars, no chains, no padlock, etc. This is state fire code requirement.
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

My family and I are looking for a church. We went to one that our extended family goes to. The Pastor spoke on church security and had a member of Frankfort SWAT give some details about how they will beef up the building. I learned this church has a SWAT member and 3 more officers who are reg attenders, they have a armed security team in place, will be installing more video cams, magnetic locks, silent alarm in the sound booth, and the pastor said he was going to take his CHL class so he can carry. Also the police are offering all the churches in the area free active shooting training classes.
Open Carry, shhh it's a dirty secret.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

The WSJ reports yesterday that This Sunday, Some Churchgoers May Choose to Pack Guns With Their Bibles and that "Congregations face question of security at services in wake of Texas shooting; ‘a responsibility to protect the flock’".ed[/b])
One week after a shooting at a Texas church left 26 dead and 20 more wounded, congregations gathering for worship around the country Sunday once again faced the question of security. Long the last frontier where many gun owners went unarmed, the faithful are now considering whether they should bring firearms to their houses of worship as well.
{snip}
“Why would we take a gun to church? Church and school—we feel like we ought to be safe,” she said on Saturday, nearly a week after the shooting. “But he’s not leaving home without it now.”
{snip}
“I’ve told everybody, I told my pastor: I’m not going to be a sitting duck or a fish in the barrel,” she said. “We know all about the whack-a-doodles and the copycats.”

Houses of worship are among the softest of soft targets, with inherent missions and traditions emphasizing peace and welcoming. Since 2012, there have been at least a dozen deadly shootings at houses of worship. Churches, synagogues, mosques and Sikh temples have struggled to balance their desire to provide an open sanctuary for the community with security. In recent years, many houses of worship have installed cameras and hired armed guards.
Obviously these quotes are from Texans who live under a different law than what Columbus inflicts upon us. I've written on what's a church vs a "place of worship" elsewhere on this forum and am working with my pastor to obtain permission to carry at our "place of worship" during those times.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

CHURCH WARNS WOULD-BE MASS SHOOTERS: ‘WE ARE NOT A GUN-FREE ZONE’
A Pentecostal church in Central New York state is issuing a stern warning to would-be mass murderers in the wake of the Texas massacre: not in our house.
The letter board outside the Lighthouse Church in Mexico, New York, now displays a message that reads, “We say it again – We are not a gun-free zone.”
Pastor Ronald Russell tells Spectrum News he’d rather his congregation have the ability to protect themselves should an event play out like the one at a Sutherland Springs, Texas, church where a gunman left 26 people dead and 20 injured.
“Times are changing,” Russell told Spectrum. “It’s not the congregation, per se, but the leadership. People say, ‘Well, pastor, you’re talking about killing some,’ and I say, ‘Well, if I don’t protect my people, I’m being complicit.’ A shooting here, that’s not going to happen.”
The church's website: http://www.lighthouserevival.com/
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.