another successful DGU

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

another successful DGU

Post by M-Quigley »

http://myfox8.com/2017/09/13/winston-sa ... r-in-head/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although this story is a month old at this time, it's illustrative of at least a couple of points regarding defense at home, one good thing, and one thing that could've been done differently. Not criticizing, outcome still good (relatively speaking)
Police say around 2:30 p.m. Saturday, 79-year-old James Thomas Noah and 77-year-old Barbara Ella Melton were inside their apartment on Old Vineyard Road in Winston-Salem. They add that there was a knock at the door and when Melton answered it, two men shoved her and forced their way inside.
If they were strangers and she had a way to talk to them without opening the door, that would've been the best option. It doesn't mean they wouldn't have just broken in, but it would've made it harder for them, slowed them down possibly. Or they might've tried to victimize someone else.
Police say the two men began assaulting Noah with a blunt object once they were inside. But, Noah was able to draw his handgun which he was carrying in his waistband, and fired one round, hitting one of his assailants in the head.
He was able to get to a gun, even at home, without having to go to a bedroom. Even if you don't want to carry one at home, there are ways to make it available quickly if needed. Even a small gun in the hand or within reach might beat the 1911 or glock 17 or 44 revolver in the bedroom.
“To hear that he was getting banged on with a drill to the side of his head, able to kick him off and do what he had to do, he was trained properly. He was trained,” Hollis said. “That goes to show you, don’t judge a book by its cover.”
These guys might've known beforehand an elderly couple lived there and thought they had easy pickings. Surprise! :)
Police say Forsyth County District Attorney Jim O’Neill has determined that no criminal charges will be sought against Noah. Neighbors say he is recovering, but has some bruising on his face.
Of course there won't be charges. This DGU would even be legal in most liberal anti gun states, if the gun was legally owned. It's too bad about the bruising, but it could've been much worse.
“He didn’t really want to do what he had to do,” Hollis said. “But, you’re getting beat on in your house, and your wife is there, what you gonna do?”
SMMAssociates

Re: another successful DGU

Post by SMMAssociates »

myfox8 wrote:"He didn’t really want to do what he had to do,” Hollis said. “But, you’re getting beat on in your house, and your wife is there, what you gonna do?”
In many of our more liberal states, "Die Quickly without hurting the criminals" is the other option.... Or the ONLY option :twisted:

The wife thinks I'm nuts to carry 24/7 (more or less - the shower's a little iffy, but there is a gun in the bathroom if I'm in there :mrgreen: .)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

If we ever meet and I ask to see your gun, please let me know before hand if it is the one you keep in the bathroom.. :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

SMMAssociates wrote: The wife thinks I'm nuts to carry 24/7 (more or less - the shower's a little iffy, but there is a gun in the bathroom if I'm in there :mrgreen: .)

Regards,
It's an older case, and I don't have the link right now, (if I find it I'll post it) but I recall reading about a case where a home owner was in the bathroom when the home was broken into. Although the home owner might've had a problem getting to a bedroom for a gun, the home owner had the gun with them, (either on them or in the bathroom somewhere) and dealt with the situation. :)
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

carmen fovozzo wrote:If we ever meet and I ask to see your gun, please let me know before hand if it is the one you keep in the bathroom.. :)
"This Is My Rifle. This Is My Gun"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kU0XCVey_U
:wink:
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.