Dewine partners w/NRA to bring School shield training to OH

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Dewine partners w/NRA to bring School shield training to OH

Post by Bruenor »

This came across my inbox today.. (emphasis mine)
Attorney General DeWine, National Rifle Association Partner Bring National School Shield Security Assessor Training to Southern Ohio
(COLUMBUS, Ohio)—Today, Attorney General Mike DeWine announced a partnership with the NRA to bring their National School Shield Security Assessor Training program to schools in Ohio. The first training was held on October 24th and 25th in Wellston, Ohio. School personnel, school resource officers, and law enforcement officers representing more than 20 Ohio school districts committed to attend.

The National School Shield’s Security Assessor Training brings in national experts on security to train school officials and law enforcement about security assessment techniques, what to look for with existing building security, and what improvements could be made to buildings. Course participants receive certification to bring what they've learned back to their own school districts. Schools will also be eligible to apply for grant funding to make building safety improvements through the NRA’s foundation.

“I’m proud to partner with the NRA to bring their National School Shield training to Ohio,” said Attorney General DeWine. “Keeping our children safe at school is a top priority at every school, and the expertise and resources that they provided through this program will help further this important work.”

The National School Shield program began as an initiative focused on improving school security in an effort to help prevent national tragedies at educational institutions in America. National School Shield is funded by the NRA Foundation, so there is no cost to the school district or the law enforcement members that attend.

Based on feedback from this training, the Attorney General’s office is working to bring this training to other areas of Ohio in the future.

Attorney General DeWine has made protecting Ohio’s children and school safety a priority as attorney general. DeWine raised awareness of Ohio’s school safety plan laws after tragedies in Chardon and Connecticut. In 2012, he formed Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine’s School Safety Task Force to make recommendations on best practice for school safety planning and preparation. In 2013, DeWine, through the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy, offered active shooter training for the first time to educators in Ohio, tailoring courses often offered to law enforcement for educators and school staff.

Ohioans can read more about Attorney General DeWine’s school safety efforts at http://www.OhioAttorneyGeneral.gov/SchoolSafety" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Hmm I thought some other groups started training teachers with the FASTER program in 2012. I don't recall any state push that far back other than shelter in place..
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Dewine partners w/NRA to bring School shield training to

Post by qmti »

WOW, am I off base here. Did DeWine just upstage BFA FASTER program with his own take on school personnel training. Why would he embrace a program that competes with Ohio based program. I bet the folks at BFA are wondering that too. So much for BFA compromising with sub bill142 to appease the Ohio law enforcement. Could I be interpreting this wrong?
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ That's the subtext I'm reading, too...... :?: :!:

And in just skimming the AG's website, is it just me, or do I not see anything about armed school staff as first responders? Is this a way to completely bypass the optics of this issue?
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

TSiWRX wrote:^ That's the subtext I'm reading, too...... :?: :!:

And in just skimming the AG's website, is it just me, or do I not see anything about armed school staff as first responders? Is this a way to completely bypass the optics of this issue?
I posted a link to the article over on BFA, so far some reads but no comment!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

I don't think it's as much optics as it is completeness and defense in depth. The law requires, and the NRA program supports the development of comprehensive safety plans. It starts with the facility and doing risk assessments and hardening targets; stuff FASTER doesn't even touch. I'm a gun guy as much as the next but I've never been a fan of FASTER because it has a singular focus: getting guns into the schools and patting themselves on the back.

The best response is one you don't need to undertake because your other lines of defense stopped something before it could escalate. As the plan comes together armed staff members may or may not ultimately be part but they should never be the whole plan. FASTER focuses on staff engaging the gunman once he's in the building. The NRA program starts with keeping the bad guy out in the first place.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

djthomas wrote:I don't think it's as much optics as it is completeness and defense in depth. The law requires, and the NRA program supports the development of comprehensive safety plans. It starts with the facility and doing risk assessments and hardening targets; stuff FASTER doesn't even touch. I'm a gun guy as much as the next but I've never been a fan of FASTER because it has a singular focus: getting guns into the schools and patting themselves on the back.

The best response is one you don't need to undertake because your other lines of defense stopped something before it could escalate. As the plan comes together armed staff members may or may not ultimately be part but they should never be the whole plan. FASTER focuses on staff engaging the gunman once he's in the building. The NRA program starts with keeping the bad guy out in the first place.
Well, I think dj makes a good summary on this issue.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Ah! Thanks for bringing some clarity to the issue, djthomas. Those are points well-taken, indeed.

I've been - ad still am - a fan of FASTER. But I'm also very much someone who does not look favorably upon the "gun-centric" kneejerk response. Your post brings up considerations that I had not thought about, before. Thank you for broadening my thinking.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Don’t get me wrong. FASTER is good for what it covers. What I dislike is that it is sold as a solution. It’s a component.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Was hoping someone around here might have first hand experience on the NRA program mentioned to shed a bit more light on it, since the article only briefly touches on the comprehensive security plan without really telling what they are doing.. or is that confidential ?.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

The process is not confidential, I've seen materials before (in paper form). The emergency plans themselves are.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

djthomas wrote:Don’t get me wrong. FASTER is good for what it covers. What I dislike is that it is sold as a solution. It’s a component.
That was understood. My apologies if my previous post did not make that clear.

I agree, it should be a component - but it isn't a solution.