Safe Storage - Man arrested for not having gun locked up

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Safe Storage - Man arrested for not having gun locked up

Post by Bruenor »

I HATE safe storage laws, heard too many horror stories from our neighbors up north. Yes you should safely store your firearms, especially when there are kids in the home, but this is going a bit far imho.
https://www.lacityattorney.org/single-p ... 0-Year-Old" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Angelo Rocca, 43, was charged with one count of not properly storing a gun. The maximum penalty on the charge is six months in jail and a $1,000 fine. Arraignment is scheduled for October 24, 2017 in Department 48.

In July, 2017, a ten-year-old child in the home allegedly showed a friend the shotgun located in a closet. The friend later made a report to school officials after allegedly overhearing remarks about his friend using the gun. School police went to the defendant’s home in Sunland and recovered a loaded, unsecured and fully accessible 12-gauge shotgun in the closet.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Safe Storage - Man arrested for not having gun locked up

Post by WestonDon »

There is so much wrong with this I just don't know where to start. School police? In my house?

The biggest fail here is failure to properly educate the kid about keeping the "family secret" secret.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
tech141

Post by tech141 »

Definitely sounds like the child was NOT educated about firearms, and sees them as toys. My youngest daughter is 8 years old, and she has been taught that a firearm is NOT a toy and has seen what they can do. She doesn't fear them, she respects them for the tools they are. She also knows that my firearms are NOT to be discussed with ANYONE, no exceptions.
There have been a few times that she wanted to handle my EDC, and she asked me to do so. She waited until I unloaded and made it 'safe'. She will be getting her first .22 this Christmas.

As far as the 'school police', they have no authority off school grounds, and would be told to {inappropriate language} into the wind if they ever knocked on my door.
Heavy Metal Cowboy

Life is too short to get old so quick.

The Problem is not the problem. The Problem is your attitude about the problem.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

"School Police"....

Hereabouts we have "School Resource Officers", which are regular Police Officers working within the school system. Having them turn up at your house might be a valid situation.

(No idea how it would turn out legally, but the visitors could be on duty as local LEO's. Not something I'd like to be on the receiving end of. :( )

Some years ago, I noticed a black Oldsmobile in the drive. An older gentleman got out of the car and came to my door. FBI.... (Investigation of an insurance fraud being perpetrated by the mud monster's pediatrician.) I'd never met the guy before, but recognized his name. He actually wanted to talk to my wife, who was out terrorizing a grocery store. (If she misses a week, they call and offer to send a limo. :D )

More recently, we inherited my mom's car when she passed in 2012. Sherri drove it for a while. A Township PD car spotted her and decided to look a bit more closely. Running the plate, it came back to my late mom. The Officer got even more interested when he noticed that the Registered Owner was 93 and no longer had a valid license. He stopped her in our driveway, at which point she ran inside and got me. We all got a good laugh. Sherri doesn't look 93 (she was about 62 then), but she isn't all that tall v.s. somebody quite a bit older. Easy to mistake her after dark while sitting in a large car.

The mud monster knew I had guns in the house. And to stay away from them. She thought they were stored in a different location, too. When she got big enough, she got in some range time, too. (She's got a 9mm for around her apartment. Can't get her to get a CHL, though.) I'm not entirely sure where some of them are :D.... (Well, almost.)

The key here is Safe Storage. But that requires education and (I hate to use the words) common sense on the part of the gun owners. We need to work on the latter.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

When I go to a sports event at my granddaughter's schools, some have "Security" personnel which are unarmed. But "Resource Officers" are on duty police officers so if they show up at your door step it's official business.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

qmti wrote:When I go to a sports event at my granddaughter's schools, some have "Security" personnel which are unarmed. But "Resource Officers" are on duty police officers so if they show up at your door step it's official business.
If that official business don't include a search warrant they ain't gettin' past the threshold. Wonder what the PC would be to justify a search warrant?
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member