Bill written to license jouranalists in Indiana

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Bill written to license jouranalists in Indiana

Post by catfish86 »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... urnalists/

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/pol ... 757157001/

Interesting read this morning. Always an offhand comment, somebody actually wrote the bill. It is mostly tongue in cheek but it serves to highlight the absurdity of gun control in light of the 2nd Amendment. One of the journalists opined that there are already restrictions on the First Amendment such as libel/slander, copyright, etc. And there are controls on guns...murder, damaging property with guns, etc. Then gun control seeks to ban/restrict/license the actual exercise of the right just like this bill does and it sounds absurd.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
M-Quigley

Re: Bill written to license jouranalists in Indiana

Post by M-Quigley »

I've seen something similar years ago. At the time someone said to me that there was no comparison between a journalist and a gun owner, because a news reporters "words don't kill somebody." :roll: While the words themselves don't kill, a false or misleading story can definitely contribute to violence or other illegal acts. The Comet pizza story is one example that comes to mind, (only because it's fairly recent) but I'm sure that there are many other and better examples.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

The phrase "the pen is mightier than the sword" comes to mind. Journalist love to quote that phrase...
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Evidently the point of the proposed "legislation" and the hypocrisy of Burt's own words are lost on Burt?
Burt Neuborne wrote:“It’s an absolute nonstarter,” said Burt Neuborne, a New York University law professor and a civil liberties expert. “The whole reason for the free press clause was to abolish licensing rules for the press.”
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

^ Yes, That right there.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

WY_Not wrote:Evidently the point of the proposed "legislation" and the hypocrisy of Burt's own words are lost on Burt?
Burt Neuborne wrote:“It’s an absolute nonstarter,” said Burt Neuborne, a New York University law professor and a civil liberties expert. “The whole reason for the free press clause was to abolish licensing rules for the press.”
Why yes, yes it was --- just like they did again in the 2A. Smart guys they were.