life for shooting woman in Cuyahoga Valley National Park

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

life for shooting woman in Cuyahoga Valley National Park

Post by Bruenor »

I'm a bit confused on the sentencing here. Why does Discharging a firearm carry more punishment than Attempted Murder ? (yes I understand he's a convicted felon under a firearms disability, but... ) don't get me wrong I'm glad the guy gets a life sentence, but it seems to have been applied backwards. If he had used a knife to try and stab her to death would he have not been sentenced to life behind bars ?

http://www.news5cleveland.com/news/loca ... onal-park-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DeZay M. Ely, 28, was sentenced after he previously pleaded guilty to attempted murder, discharging a firearm during a crime and possessing ammunition while a felon.

Ely was sentenced to 20 years in prison on the attempted murder charge and given a consecutive life in prison sentence on the discharging a firearm charge, the attorney's office said.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: life for shooting woman in Cuyahoga Valley National Park

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

The discharging crime is actually about firing a gun in furtherance of a violent crime. I carries a minimum of 10 years, with no explicitly stated maximum. Apparently the supreme court has ruled that federal charges that do not specify a maximum sentence implicitly allow for the possibility of life sentences.