Family of suspect shot blaming the victim for defending hers

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Family of suspect shot blaming the victim for defending hers

Post by M-Quigley »

The news story starts out by saying the suspect stole ten bras, which is irrelevant to the woman's self defense situation. They also show a nice family pic of the suspect, instead of one of his old mugshots. :roll:

http://www.wral.com/attorney-woman-who- ... /16980043/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A woman shot an intruder in her Knightdale office building last week did so in self-defense, her attorney said Thursday.

The claim comes as response to a statement from the alleged intruder's family, who are demanding she be charged for her actions.

Connie Wells shot Deondrea Branch at her CPA firm on Sept. 18 after he allegedly stole 10 bras from a nearby Walmart.

Police were called to the Walmart at 7106 Knightdale Blvd. for a reported larceny when Branch, 24, fled from the store on foot. Officers chased him into an office building at 7048 Knightdale Blvd.

Once there, Branch forced his way inside the two-story building, which houses multiple businesses, and encountered 54-year-old Wells, police said. Police are not releasing details about the encounter, but the incident left Branch with a single gunshot wound.

"While Connie Wells and her family understand the Branch family’s concern, the events of Sept. 18 are entirely a consequence of Deondrea Branch’s own actions," Damon Chetson, Wells' attorney, said in a statement. "North Carolina recognizes a right of self-defense, enshrined in part in common law that dates back hundreds of years and which allows a person to defend themselves from attack."

Police said Wells, who owns the business and has a concealed handgun permit, was working alone when the incident occurred. Branch has a criminal history, including an assault charge against a woman, and is also on probation for a drug charge, according to court records.

"Wells was in fear for her life as Branch broke into the office," said Chetson. "Branch repeatedly slammed against a 150-lb solid core door, bent the deadbolt securing it, and stormed into Ms. Wells’ office suite. He rushed at her and ignored her when she screamed at him to stop."

But Willie Mitchener, Branch's stepfather, said he believes something doesn't add up, and despite what he did, Branch should not be in this hospital.

"The more I learned about the whole situation, the madder I got," Mitchener said Wednesday.

He said he doesn't believes Branch was a threat to Wells.

"You're holding a firearm, so where is the danger at when, you know, you don't see a weapon on him, so you feel like you would have the upper hand anyway," Mitchener said. "But more or less, you didn't give him a chance to respond anyway. This is a scared kid looking to hide somewhere."​

Branch, the father of a 4-year-old and a 2-year-old, is still in the hospital and hoping to walk again, his stepfather said.
A scared kid at 24? A chance to respond? (as in respond by assaulting her?) I hope NC has a law that prevents the family from filing a lawsuit.
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Family of suspect shot blaming the victim for defending

Post by scottb »

But - she shot Santa Clause!

Edit to add: In all seriousness... The guy busts down a door and comes inside. I agree that she is correct to assume that he intends to do harm.
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Judging from their comments, his "family" raised him to get shot.

He may have learned something from this, but I wouldn't bet money on it. He was luckier than Arthur Buford, but dumb luck is a really lousy survival strategy.

Funny how NOT being a violent criminal never occurs as an option to the mutant family or "posse"...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

scottb wrote:But - she shot Santa Clause!

Edit to add: In all seriousness... The guy busts down a door and comes inside. I agree that she is correct to assume that he intends to do harm.
It was allegedly worse than the bolded. (although the bolded by itself should've been enough for her to be legally justified.)
He rushed at her and ignored her when she screamed at him to stop."
When the stepfather claims that,
you didn't give him a chance to respond
How does the stepfather know what chances he got to respond or not? He wasn't there. I'd say if he rushed at someone with a gun and ignores screams to stop, that's a response right there.

If she wouldn't have shot, he could've had the chance to take the gun away from her. Then the anti's would say, as I've heard some say in the past, "See, having a gun to defend yourself doesn't work. The criminal will just take it away from you." :roll:
dademoss

Post by dademoss »

They left out the part where"He was just turning his life around" :shock:
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cosmos »

dademoss wrote:They left out the part where"He was just turning his life around" :shock:
Don't forget to add he was just about to start classes at the local community college. :lol:
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I want to know why he stole 10 bras ? Maybe the victim and the suspect were friendly with each other and he was bringing her a gift of the bras... :wink: And he brought her the wrong size is why she shot him.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I want to know why he stole 10 bras ?<snip>
"Pimpin' ain't easy." :wink:
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.