Metro Parks Ranger Out of Line

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Metro Parks Ranger Out of Line

Post by scottb »

Apparently one of the bad apples....
A Summit Metro Parks ranger is on paid leave, accused of following a pair of senior citizens back to their home, and roughly arresting them, after they honked their horn at him.
http://fox8.com/2017/09/28/summit-metro ... rn-at-him/
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Metro Parks Ranger Out of Line

Post by qmti »

scottb wrote:Apparently one of the bad apples....
A Summit Metro Parks ranger is on paid leave, accused of following a pair of senior citizens back to their home, and roughly arresting them, after they honked their horn at him.
http://fox8.com/2017/09/28/summit-metro ... rn-at-him/
Unbelievable. What would have happened if the senior would have been armed? Unjustified shooting or death? Makes you think back to the nurse and the unjustified roughing up of her.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I wonder how much of this was recorded?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

I just do not understand the thinking that takes a person to the level of throwing a senior citizen (or anyone for that matter) to the ground to gain immediate compliance. Now if that person came out of the car looking ready for a fight, then I get it. Most LEO's would start with, at most, a very frank discussion. SMH
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

At what point are you allowed to defend yourself? He's out of his jurisdiction, he's obviously in a road rage mode, does this qualify enough to consider him just a bad guy that you can fight back and not be arrested for obstruction of justice and resisting arrest? Also, is resisting an unlawful arrest ever warranted in any instance?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

Javelin Man wrote:At what point are you allowed to defend yourself? He's out of his jurisdiction, he's obviously in a road rage mode, does this qualify enough to consider him just a bad guy that you can fight back and not be arrested for obstruction of justice and resisting arrest? Also, is resisting an unlawful arrest ever warranted in any instance?
Good questions. I think that Mr. Wilson could make a fair argument that he was in fear of (at a minimum) serious bodily injury given his condition after heart surgery.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Javelin Man wrote:At what point are you allowed to defend yourself? He's out of his jurisdiction, he's obviously in a road rage mode, does this qualify enough to consider him just a bad guy that you can fight back and not be arrested for obstruction of justice and resisting arrest? Also, is resisting an unlawful arrest ever warranted in any instance?
The park says their rangers are "commissioned peace officers". Are there situations where you can legally shoot a peace officer? Probably. It better be really, really (reeeeallly) obvious he was the unlawful aggressor though, or you can expect life-altering consequences for yourself.

I'm not saying no, just pointing out it's a thorny issue.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
The park says their rangers are "commissioned peace officers". Are there situations where you can legally shoot a peace officer? Probably. It better be really, really (reeeeallly) obvious he was the unlawful aggressor though, or you can expect life-altering consequences for yourself.

I'm not saying no, just pointing out it's a thorny issue.
What about getting into a wrestling match and pinning him down until a level-headed peace (is there such a thing?) officer responds to my 911 call? This old man still remembers his college wrestling days.

Or, like the man in the article who had recent open-heart surgery, if you inform the officer you could be fatally injured if attacked or pinned to the ground, could your spouse come to your rescue?

In this case, it looked like it was very obvious the ranger was an unlawful aggressor in the eyes of the court and superiors. How do you handle it along the side of the road?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Javelin Man wrote:In this case, it looked like it was very obvious the ranger was an unlawful aggressor in the eyes of the court and superiors.
You think? Because it was the elderly couple who was arrested and charged with resisting arrest, obstruction of official business, aggravated menacing and failure to comply. Looks to me like when the Akron Police officer arrived on-scene he/she took their cue from the park ranger.
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

Summit Metro Parks has placed a park ranger on paid administrative leave following an incident yesterday involving a senior couple in their vehicle. We have also requested that all charges brought against the couple after the incident be dropped immediately.
Looks like they (Metro Parks) believe that he screwed up.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Sure - after the fact. My point is that if you shoot the ranger the "at the side of the road" reception you're going to get is not going to be a good one, unless it's painfully obvious he was in the wrong (which it wasn't here, as the Akron officer backed him up).
Also, the ranger wasn't harmed during this incident. Even if he was completely unauthorized, if a peace officer is attacked don't expect his higher-ups to quickly say "he was in the wrong".

But hey, if you want to entertain fantasies about shooting a peace officer who you believe is using inappropriate force against you, well it's your life.
ashtabula

Post by ashtabula »

It looks to me like everything they were charged with happened in their yard. I don't see the initial infraction that caused the ranger to leave the park and follow them to their house.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

This unfortunate couple was hosed as soon as they pulled into their driveway. Nothing either of them could do to change that, armed or not. The best that can be done at this point is to metaphorically put this park ranger's head on a spike for all to see.

Call me paranoid but I tend to be aware of someone following me, especially if I just had some kind of interaction with them (horn honking).
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:You think? Because it was the elderly couple who was arrested and charged with resisting arrest, obstruction of official business, aggravated menacing and failure to comply.
That's SOP.

Usually when cops commit a violent crime against a citizen, it's the victim who's initially charged.
Last edited by deanimator on Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

WestonDon wrote:This unfortunate couple was hosed as soon as they pulled into their driveway. Nothing either of them could do to change that, armed or not. The best that can be done at this point is to metaphorically put this park ranger's head on a spike for all to see.
Yeah, but then they're "cop haters", "it's a hard job!", yada yada yada.

The enablers will make it the victims' fault no matter the actual facts.

If they sue, it'll be the "ghetto lottery", whether they're Amish or Eskimos.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.