NRA weighs in on the Flag/Anthem

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

NRA weighs in on the Flag/Anthem

Post by bignflnut »

That didn't take long, did it?

The NRA has released a one minute video featuring former Navy Seal Dom Roso (who I have no doubt is a patriotic and sincere dude).

The video starts with "the land of the free and the home of the brave", explains the sacrifice of soldiers over the years and finishes with the NRA being "freedom's safest place" (*cough*).

This is obviously in response to the recent wave of professional athletes who refuse to stand at attention during the national anthem, a song that ranges from 90 seconds to 3 minutes, or so.

A) Throw a dart at the Bill of Rights and many of us could show you how the freedoms guranteed in that Amendment have been undermined. We're far from living as a free people. Read the rutherford.org and see how far we've come. (Yes, we still retain some freedoms, but why do we need the NRA, the ACLU, or all of these other groups if we're brimming with freedom?)

B) Outrage over people standing, sitting, kneeling or warming up during these few minutes prior to a game is not worth the time and energy being put into it. This is clearly a divide and conquer tactic started under the prior administration that is now in full bloom, where some think they're sticking it to POTUS for engaging, and others think they're doing it for the concept of justice.
Nobody tunes in to see athletes weep over the flag/anthem. Who cares what these athletes have to "say"? Enjoy the games.

B1) There are those among us who sow discord regarding identity politics and insist that if all do not behave in a certain fashion, they're on the "wrong side of history". Those who sow discord among the people, not towards liberty and freedom, but towards totalitarian group think, are the domestic enemy. This time it's found root in the NFL, but the enemy is adept at planting this seed in full view of the media.

C) The NRA, who accept and wish to strengthen NICS, who endorsed McCain, who have time and again keep gun owners on their own metaphorical plantation, under the thumb of the government, is wildly duplicitous when they call themselves "freedom's safest place". Perhaps they mean Freedom's safe space. Perhaps they mean that they've got all the munitions necessary for defense. See their recent support for Swamp Monster Luther Strange, if you're not aware of their treachery in Ohio regarding HB 142.

This is the NRA "standing" for freedom to gain fundraising muscle or get on the side of the military families and wrap themselves in the flag, while they twist their knives in the backs of gun owners at the Statehouse and halls of Congress. It has worked for a very long time; who can blame them for trying it again?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: NRA weighs in on the Flag/Anthem

Post by bignflnut »

Take the conversation from this angle:

I'm for Liberty.
The Liberty to stand or kneel or do stretches during the national anthem. Yes, even though there's a law regarding it.
(a)Designation.—
The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.
Is anyone genuinely advocating criminal proceedings regarding those who don't follow either the spirit or the letter of this law? Cuz, that sounds rather totalitarian. In the way that "YOU. WILL. BAKE. THAT. CAKE." sounds totalitarian.

So, I'm for Liberty. Freedom of man over Government.

By the same token, I'm for employers being able to fire those who don't comport themselves in a way that reflects positively on the company/organization (particularly when wearing the company swag). So, if NFL/NBA/NHL/NASCAR owners want to mandate that players behave a certain way during this song, they have that Liberty.

In a way, Liberty is self-governing. And in this way, we can keep government intrusion out of the whole matter. Employees have Rights, and so do Employers. Nobody has to be a totalitarian threatening fines/jail time for bad behavior, and we can all form companies/organizations as we see fit (to gain market share/profits).

Isn't that what we all want?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

bignflnut wrote:Who cares what these athletes have to "say"?
I certainly agree with this. I've never cared about "celebrity" opinions before, and I don't care now.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

bignflnut wrote: Yes, even though there's a law regarding it.
Well, except the flag code is a set of advisory rules, not law, and the law containing a penalty has been ruled unconstitutional, as I understand it. Besides, the flag code says one *should* stand and face the flag, not "must" or "shall". Pretty weak sauce for something you describe as totalitarian. Seems like plenty of liberty left in that ol' gal...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

JustaShooter wrote:
bignflnut wrote: Yes, even though there's a law regarding it.
Well, except the flag code is a set of advisory rules, not law, and the law containing a penalty has been ruled unconstitutional, as I understand it. Besides, the flag code says one *should* stand and face the flag, not "must" or "shall". Pretty weak sauce for something you describe as totalitarian. Seems like plenty of liberty left in that ol' gal...
I read somewhere yesterday that the NFL owners handbook requires players to stand with helmet held by left hand, right hand over heart, in silence. I'll try to find it.

So by allowing it to get to this point, they have violated NFL's rules. But it seems as if the top brass in the NFL want to be seen as PC and oh-so-tolerant. Well, that may cost them a bundle of money, and trash their reputation.

Wonder what that will do to Canton's NFL Village?

Edit: Found it.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!