girl dies after reaching into grandmothers purse for candy

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: girl dies after reaching into grandmothers purse for can

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Cloudwraith wrote:I'm not placing blame anywhere, I wasn't there. What I AM saying, is, I doubt the Grandmother told the child to get into her purse knowing her firearm was in it.
If she were a responsible gun owner and knew her gun was in her purse, it shouldn't have been out of her control and accessible to the child in the first place. So we know either she was not a responsible owner and/or didn't know the gun was in the purse. No need to pile on about what the child should or shouldn't have been doing when you have no way to know that.

ETA: Grandma may be a generally responsible owner, but may have had a lapse of responsibility or simply didn't realize the gun was in the purse. That's also a possibility, but doesn't change that we have no way of knowing that the child did anything she wasn't normally allowed to do, so blaming the child (which is what you're doing when you say she didn't have Grandma's permission) is IMO misplaced and inappropriate.
curmudgeon3

Re: girl dies after reaching into grandmothers purse for can

Post by curmudgeon3 »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
curmudgeon3 wrote:In the article the police reported Nellie "pulled the trigger" but didn't say if she also disengaged the safety .... too bad.
What makes you think the gun had one?
Just thought the Police were negligent in not reporting one way or another, instead of just laying down the chalk outline. I wouldn't own a gun without a safety; handgun or rifle.
Heck they even have a safety on the bottle of Tylenol I bought recently.