CHL arrested for shooting assailant

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

CHL arrested for shooting assailant

Post by rickt »

I guess the assault didn't rise to the threat of death or grave bodily harm level.
A Garfield Heights woman claimed she acted in self-defense when she shot another woman in the neck, records show.

Arielle T. Mitchell, 24, is charged with felonious assault in the Friday shooting on East 85th Street near Garfield Boulevard, according to court records.
http://www.cleveland.com/garfield-heigh ... laims.html
Brian D.

Re: CHL arrested for shooting assailant

Post by Brian D. »

We shall see.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:We shall see.
Agreed - just because someone is charged doesn't mean they are guilty. She may well have been justified, but the prosecutor may have decided to press charges for any one of several reasons - political, personal, or there may have been real questions about the justification for using deadly force in self defense.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

CHarges and then not charged...Which isit ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Shooter charged.
Attacker not charged.
carmen fovozzo wrote:CHarges and then not charged...Which isit ?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

from the news link:
Officers found a loaded handgun outside the home and took Mitchell into custody. Investigators later learned Mitchell has a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon.
It implies she didn't notify right away under the alleged circumstances of defending herself against an attack. Shame, shame! :roll:
Michael

Post by Michael »

Yet an LEO can shoot someone for holding a camera that he thought was a gun... :roll:
The rifle is God's gift to the rifleman. - Fred
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

The news link said:
Mitchell waived her right to a preliminary hearing during her appearance Monday in Garfield Heights Municipal Court. The case was bound over to Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court.
but doesn't say if she had a lawyer when she waived her right. Can anybody explain why that is a good idea or not, in a case like this, if she's planning on fighting this? Most of the cases I saw back in the day of this were because the defendant was going to plead guilty.
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

Even though she was probably shook up after this, two things she should have done is keep control of the gun and call the police. Police finding it outside where I assume she dropped it after is not good and can make her look guilty. Also, she should have called the police immediately to tell them that she was attacked, was in fear of her life, and shot the attacker. One thing that has been impressed on me is that the first person to call is usually considered the victim.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

I think that because of the current atmosphere that police are always wrong or overreacting when they shoot an unarmed indidual, it is going to become the norm that if a CHL holder shoot anyone that is unarmed you will be charged. I hope I'm wrong but doubt it.
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

WeinerDog wrote:I think that because of the current atmosphere that police are always wrong or overreacting when they shoot an unarmed indidual, it is going to become the norm that if a CHL holder shoot anyone that is unarmed you will be charged. I hope I'm wrong but doubt it.
I don't believe that the current atmosphere that the MSM fake news tells you is the actual current atmosphere that the majority of Americans believe in.
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

M-Quigley wrote:from the news link:
Officers found a loaded handgun outside the home and took Mitchell into custody. Investigators later learned Mitchell has a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon.
It implies she didn't notify right away under the alleged circumstances of defending herself against an attack. Shame, shame! :roll:
The prior sentence in the story helps her a bit:
Officers arrived at the home and found Mitchell with her hands in the air. Mitchell said "I did it, I shot her" and added "I had to do it, she was attacking me" and "I feared for my life and the kids," the report says.
This implies that she dropped the gun upon the approach of the police.

Isn't that proper procedure? Making sure you don't have a gun in your hands when police arrive? If you don't have time to holster it, put it down.
MyWifeSaidYes
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

"notify' what?
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Suckerspawn wrote:
"notify' what?
Sigh. Let me correct the original reply, from,

Investigators later learned Mitchell has a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon.

to

Investigators later learned Mitchell has a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon.

The news story (rightly or wrongly) implies that she didn't promptly notify that she had a CHL
("later learned) The story however doesn't say she was charged with that however. I was being sarcastic.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
The prior sentence in the story helps her a bit:
Officers arrived at the home and found Mitchell with her hands in the air. Mitchell said "I did it, I shot her" and added "I had to do it, she was attacking me" and "I feared for my life and the kids," the report says.
This implies that she dropped the gun upon the approach of the police.

Isn't that proper procedure? Making sure you don't have a gun in your hands when police arrive? If you don't have time to holster it, put it down.
I wasn't referring to her notifying that she defended herself, I was referring to the part where they "later found" that she had a CHL, and that after a self defense situation she failed to promptly notify (CHL) . Sorry for the confusion.