Vandalia Ohio gun range being sued

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Vandalia Ohio gun range being sued

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/crime--law/van ... =cb_widget" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's been there a long time, owner says there's no way the bullets came from his range. Although I've been to the indoor range there, I've never used the outdoor range, can't say.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Vandalia Ohio gun range being sued

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:http://www.whio.com/news/crime--law/van ... =cb_widget

It's been there a long time, owner says there's no way the bullets came from his range. Although I've been to the indoor range there, I've never used the outdoor range, can't say.
I recall the case several years ago where the woman held up the rounds for pictures that were supposedly landing in her yard. The bullets were still in the casings.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

schmieg wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:http://www.whio.com/news/crime--law/van ... =cb_widget

I recall the case several years ago where the woman held up the rounds for pictures that were supposedly landing in her yard. The bullets were still in the casings.
That is Priceless to anyone that knows how ammunition works. :lol:
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

I've been there and the outside shooting range is about 100 yards and your shooting into a high railroad embankment as I remember. There are cement barriers lining the range and if you hit one of those the bullet could skip off over the embankment. My son shoots at the outside range but i haven't.
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

I shoot there regularly. I was just shooting last week and the gentleman shooting next to me is a RSO there some days. He was telling me that this person (before the news) has been trying to buy the range's land for years. They have the EPA involved and now this. Here's hoping they fight continue fighting back.

I find it extremely unlikely any bullets ended up on that man's property.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

ArmedAviator wrote:I shoot there regularly. I was just shooting last week and the gentleman shooting next to me is a RSO there some days. He was telling me that this person (before the news) has been trying to buy the range's land for years. They have the EPA involved and now this. Here's hoping they fight continue fighting back.

I find it extremely unlikely any bullets ended up on that man's property.
The article has been updated. It makes it pretty clear that it is in fact happening:
Vandalia police responded Sept. 7 to the Miami Valley Shooting Range after neighbor Jamie Spencer told officers bullets were being fired onto the property of a business on the 7300 block of Johnson Station.
The officer that responded to the neighboring business said he had to retreat behind his cruiser when a bullet came too close, and his supervisor said the pair “heard several rounds whiz by us while we were up there.”

“We both knew it was not safe where we were, so we went back down the hill,” wrote Sgt. Todd Flynn.

According to the police report, the permit issued to the shooting grounds restricts shooters to firing “in a direction from east to west perpendicular to and using as a backstop the 50 foot hill on the western edge of the property.” But the officer on scene saw “at least six people shooting in a southbound direction” and “another range facing northbound with people shooting northbound too.”

Tackett (the range owner) told police “I did not know they were shooting from these ranges back here,” and said he would cease fire until the range issues are resolved with the city, according to the report.
Highlighting and italics are mine.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

I looked at the range via Google Maps (3D view) and here's what I saw:

This image is looking West. You can see the traditional shooting lanes and berms in the right half of the image, but what's in the upper left? A closer look:

So back here is another range (photo is looking SW) with lanes facing North. Is that arc of pavement for trap/skeet? Here's a NE view:

So there are concrete barriers, barrels, and other stuff that suggests to me a move-and-shoot course. The bottom center also has a berm which implies shooting South.

If their permit is indeed restricted to "in a direction from east to west perpendicular to and using as a backstop the 50 foot hill on the western edge of the property", then they are in clear violation of their permit, obviously in construction (per the images), as well as in operation (by the witnesses in the article). I'd likely side with the other property owners based on the information I have.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

UPDATE LINK: Range owner still claiming bullets and slugs found are not from his range.

http://www.whio.com/news/local/miami-va ... lcku419VI/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One comment I found interesting was
“He has his own range up there, he shot up there forever,” Dana Tackett said of Spencer. “I can give you names of people who go there and shoot.
I have my own range on my property, so does my neighbor down the road. That doesn't mean I want unknown bullets landing on me or on my property however, nor does my neighbor want it either. At least when I or my neighbor shoot, we know that the rounds will land in a safe area. Are the slugs in the picture from the shooting range guns or the home owners guns? Or is it a combination? Don't know.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

He can make whatever claims he wants. The police report and statements of two police officers on the other person's property that they heard bullets passing overhead and had to leave due to safety concerns ... SMH. He should just settle.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

UPDATE: gun range loses permit. On the tv WHIO news, it said gun range would be closing, but there is an indoor and outdoor range. Not sure if both are involved in permit or not. The indoor range shouldn't be affected, as it has nothing to do with the allegations, IMO.

Strangely, the tv news said the range would be allowed to operate until the end of this week however only because a police training class was scheduled to be held there?

http://www.whio.com/news/local/shooting ... lcku419VI/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Well that sucks.

I was just there Saturday to test out my new Osprey 45. The 50/90 yard range was closed.

Suggestions for a new place?
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
jslice

Post by jslice »

According to local press and police...there is no question that bullets are leaving the range and that there is inadequate supervision...at least at times....and he is shooting other than toward a "50 foot hill" as required by his permit... I think we all can agree that IF that's true...he needs to shut it down and come up with a better plan,,,,,this video confirms his recklessness and lack of regard for the law and his permit ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWC4oh2Fe6w.....thers's" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; no "50 foot hill" here......and in some areas there's no back stop at all...."drive by shooting" ...are you friggin' kidding me??? that was one of the reasons cited by the Vandalia police for pulling the permit..OF COURSE that kind of crap is gonna get you closed down,........makes us all look like a bunch of crazy yahoos....
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Update: Range re applying for permits, the indoor range now, and the outdoor range later.

http://www.whio.com/news/local/miami-va ... h50Pzz4KI/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“There was no appeal filed, rather, the shooting grounds is preparing permit applications to address the chief’s concerns,” said Timothy Rudd, the range’s attorney.

The range will submit an application this week for the indoor range and a separate application regarding the outdoor range will follow, Rudd said.
I guess this sounds like a good idea under the circumstances. The indoor range had nothing to do with the allegations related to the outdoor range anyway.