Ohio deputy mistakenly shoots news media photographer

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Ohio deputy mistakenly shoots news media photographer

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/local/report-m ... rhbT7zpJI/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Clark County sheriff’s deputy was involved in an officer-involved shooting Monday night, and the New Carlisle News is reporting its staff photographer was shot when a deputy mistook his camera for a weapon.

Clark County deputies were dispatched to the 400 block of North Main Street in New Carlisle around 9:50 p.m. The officer-involved shooting happened shortly after.

The New Carlisle News is reporting that Andy Grimm, a photographer for the News, was working on taking lightning pictures when a deputy performed a traffic stop nearby. Grimm was holding his camera and tripod and the deputy is believed to have mistaken them for a weapon, the News is reporting.
Grimm was shot in the side and is undergoing surgery at Miami Valley Hospital, according to the News.

The New Carlisle News had posted a paragraph of information to its Facebook page earlier in the evening where they stated Grimm had been pulled over on a traffic stop when the shooting occurred, but said later he was not involved in the stop.
It's not been reported yet details like what the camera looked like, whether there was a flash activated, or other details. Ohio BCI is investigating.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Ohio deputy mistakenly shoots news media photographer

Post by qmti »

Well, that will make national news.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

qmti wrote:Well, that will make national news.
oops, sorry, just saw the article on Fox.com news site.
Face

Post by Face »

As one who has done the exact same thing as well as having a relative that is a free lance photographer that has been published extensively - this is worrisome.

It is just a blatant disregard of rule 4.

II use and carry a big black tripod that cost more than many of my guns, a few cameras that cost more than all of my guns. Maybe I need a pink tripod :)

Don't know New Carlisle, but with a population of 5,000, I'd bet it they either under pay its PD, they are part time or even unpaid.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Face wrote:As one who has done the exact same thing as well as having a relative that is a free lance photographer that has been published extensively - this is worrisome.

II use and carry a big black tripod that cost more than many of my guns, a few cameras that cost more than all of my guns. Maybe I need a pink tripod :)

Don't know New Carlisle, but with a population of 5,000, I'd bet it they either under pay its PD, they are part time or even unpaid.
New Carlisle is patrolled by the Clark County Sheriffs Department under contract. It doesn't have a police force. What is troublesome is, by news reports, no warnings by the deputy were given before he open fire. And they both knew each other.
Face

Post by Face »

Thanks - I'd only seen one report and did not indicate SO but local PD...

A lot of the smaller news links have been over whelmed.

qmti wrote:
Face wrote:As one who has done the exact same thing as well as having a relative that is a free lance photographer that has been published extensively - this is worrisome.

New Carlisle is patrolled by the Clark County Sheriffs Department under contract. It doesn't have a police force. What is troublesome is, by news reports, no warnings by the deputy were given before he open fire. And they both knew each other.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

qmti wrote: New Carlisle is patrolled by the Clark County Sheriffs Department under contract. It doesn't have a police force. What is troublesome is, by news reports, no warnings by the deputy were given before he open fire. And they both knew each other.
I read in a different news link after I posted the OP link that the two are supposedly friends, and that the photographer does not want the deputy to lose his job over this. The OP link has now been updated.
The New Carlisle News is reporting that its staff photographer Andy Grimm was shot when a deputy mistook his camera for a weapon. His father, Dale Grimm, is the publisher of the newspaper.

"I talked with Andy a little while ago," the New Carlisle News posted on its site. "He said he is very sore but otherwise is doing fine. He said they expect to be releasing him sometime tomorrow. On behalf of our entire family, we thank you for all of the kind messages."

Dale Grimm declined to comment.

The post also asks people not to "mean mouth" the deputy who shot Andy Grimm.
"Andy said he doesn't want (him) to lose his job over this," the post says.

Clark County Sheriff Deb Burchett also took to Facebook in the aftermath of the shooting.

“As sheriff of this county, I would truly appreciate if the community would just send prayers for Andy Grimm and my deputy,” she says on Facebook.

State Rep. Kyle Koehler, R-Springfield, reiterated Grimm’s wishes in a Facebook post of his own.

“Let’s support Andy with our prayers and by doing what he asks by not tearing down law enforcement,” Koehler's post says
One part of the story is contradictory.
Man wounded in New Carlisle officer-involved shooting out of hospital.
Yet the body of the story says tomorrow. Regardless, it's good either way, as opposed to what it could have been.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

M-Quigley wrote:It's not been reported yet details like what the camera looked like, whether there was a flash activated, or other details. Ohio BCI is investigating.
Get this man a flash suppressor!

Clearly, the camera using public's reaction is the problem.

On a dark and stormy night...he shot me and I advocated that he should keep his job, so that I wouldn't feel guilty for him being fired...if it happens to some other innocent sap, I won't feel guilty...I'm a metro-humanoid who doesn't want to press charges....please, sir, can I have another.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

that the two are supposedly friends
With friends like that... well who needs friends like that?! :shock:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Michael

Post by Michael »

Prediction: he will be "retrained" and put back on duty.

Question: if I (as a CHL holder) negligently shoot someone because I thought their camera was a gun, what would happen to me?
The rifle is God's gift to the rifleman. - Fred
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Michael wrote:Prediction: he will be "retrained" and put back on duty.

Question: if I (as a CHL holder) negligently shoot someone because I thought their camera was a gun, what would happen to me?
I see your misconception. You think you and he are EQUAL under the law...

Johannes Mehserl was allowed to flee the jurisdiction after fatally shooting the handcuffed, face down Oscar Grant in the back. Do you think you'd be allowed to do the same?

Tony Abbate was allowed to hide out for days in "rehab" after trying to stomp a barmaid to death. Do you think you'd be allowed to do the same?

Superior social classes have superior rights.

Inferior social classes have inferior (or no) rights.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
High Power

Post by High Power »

deanimator wrote:
Michael wrote:Prediction: he will be "retrained" and put back on duty.

I see your misconception. You think you and he are EQUAL under the law...

Johannes Mehserl was allowed to flee the jurisdiction after fatally shooting the handcuffed, face down Oscar Grant in the back. Do you think you'd be allowed to do the same?

Tony Abbate was allowed to hide out for days in "rehab" after trying to stomp a barmaid to death. Do you think you'd be allowed to do the same?

Superior social classes have superior rights.

Inferior social classes have inferior (or no) rights.
You forgot that the "S" in Somali Cop stands for superhuman and we have no right to question his actions - even his hard-of-hearing partner and dead white woman's loved ones.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Javelin Man wrote:
that the two are supposedly friends
With friends like that... well who needs friends like that?! :shock:
I agree. I talked with a friend of mine (who is a cop) today, and one of his remarks about this was, "D---, that's a really good friend!" :)
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

I know Andy Grimm I have shot with him a few times (here "shot" means taking photographs).

He is an excellent photographer and well known in the community. He is a news photographer and publisher, he works closely with all county emergency services including Sheriff's deputies and EMS in that regard. I'd venture to say that he knows most everyone on the sheriff's department. At least those on the road and in public relations.

He has been released from the hospital and is doing well. One round grazed his left shoulder the other was a through and through just below his left rib cage. No major organs were damaged. He is very lucky that it wasn't any worse than it was.

I don't know the extent of his relationship with Deputy Shaw but based on Andy's interviews about this incident they are on a first name basis and I can confirm that they are or were friends on Facebook for whatever that's worth.

It is routine for him to photograph accident scenes, house fires, a few vehicle stops, and even a incident where a man was barricaded in his home. Basically anything newsworthy.

That being said I don't like that no warning was heard by Andy. There may have been a warning but Andy didn't hear it or disregarded it for whatever reason. He clearly states in an on camera interview that he heard no warning.

So what if he was in a parking lot across the street from a traffic stop. Even if it was a firearm of some sort, is he not allowed to remove a firearm from his vehicle to take it inside or for any other lawful activity. He wasn't threatening the officer. Heck he hadn't even spoken to the officer that evening at this point. He made no threatening gestures or movements.

He simply exited his Jeep Cherokee which was parked intentionally in full view of the deputy in a parking lot. Presumably unzipped the soft cover of the Jeep and began to remove his camera that was attached to a tripod. Even if it was a rifle or handgun there was no other evidence that he had any ill intent.
Last edited by ohiophotog on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

qmti wrote:Well, that will make national news.
It's been picked up nationally and internationally. Andy said that this story was trending #6 on Facebook earlier.

Hell I had a producer from a Canadian News Network contact me this morning trying to get ahold of Andy.
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.