Ohio deputy mistakenly shoots news media photographer

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tru-Heathen

Re: Ohio deputy mistakenly shoots news media photographer

Post by Tru-Heathen »

M-Quigley wrote:Good news update: Photographer back on the job. :)

http://www.whio.com/news/local/new-carl ... IhW9lkfVL/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andy Grimm, the New Carlisle News photographer shot on the job by a deputy last month, was spotted working today at an accident scene.

News Center 7 photographer Jim Noelker this evening caught up with Grimm today when they both responded to a crash in New Carlisle.
Hopefully he's wearing a bright neon vest with the words PRESS or NEWS PHOTOGRAPHER emblazoned on it. :roll:
He might be better served by one of kevlar.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I saw a video on the TV news of an interview with the photographer. Did he have some kind of change of heart about his great friend, the deputy? (or is channel 7 editing something out to make it appear that way?) When the story initially happened, the photographer was blaming himself, if I recall correctly at one point said something that sounded like "It's my fault" .
He wasn't aware that the deputy was armed again and working outdoor assignments until he accidentally seen him at an outdoor event. Now he's expressing concern about the deputy getting his gun back and going back to duty before the investigation is complete. Granted, it is desk duty for now, but the deputy can also work events armed, like football games, etc.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

M-Quigley wrote:I saw a video on the TV news of an interview with the photographer. Did he have some kind of change of heart about his great friend, the deputy? (or is channel 7 editing something out to make it appear that way?) When the story initially happened, the photographer was blaming himself, if I recall correctly at one point said something that sounded like "It's my fault" .
He wasn't aware that the deputy was armed again and working outdoor assignments until he accidentally seen him at an outdoor event. Now he's expressing concern about the deputy getting his gun back and going back to duty before the investigation is complete. Granted, it is desk duty for now, but the deputy can also work events armed, like football games, etc.
That's what I was thinking too. Even in the original story he was quoted by his employer as saying.
"I talked with Andy a little while ago," the New Carlisle News posted on its site. "He said he is very sore but otherwise is doing fine. He said they expect to be releasing him sometime tomorrow. On behalf of our entire family, we thank you for all of the kind messages."

"Andy said he doesn't want (him) to lose his job over this," the post says.
Maybe his position on the subject evolved.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
2/327

Post by 2/327 »

A) photographer has been told several times by the new sheriff to “not roll up on traffic stops”
B) does just exactly that, in an unmarked car (his POV)
C) during twilight, across on the other side of the highway, gets his camera/tripod assembly out, doesn’t use tripod, instead places it on his hip to steady it (I assume)
D) now be the deputy in the cruiser, look across the highway, see a man in a plane vehicle (no NEWS stickers), holding a long dark slender object from the hip, how many seconds should he have waited to find out weather he was going to get attacked or not???

Jake (dep shaw) is an excellent officer, does a {inappropriate language} ton off duty, is basically just an all around awesome individual. I do not know the photographer but after what has transpired he has lost what little respect I would have had for him. He will get a settlement from the sheriffs office no matter what. I would just say he’s lucky to be alive and to not do what 99% of people know not to do again
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

2/327 wrote:A) photographer has been told several times by the new sheriff to “not roll up on traffic stops”
C) during twilight, across on the other side of the highway, gets his camera/tripod assembly out, doesn’t use tripod, instead places it on his hip to steady it (I assume)
D) now be the deputy in the cruiser, look across the highway, see a man in a plane vehicle (no NEWS stickers), holding a long dark slender object from the hip, how many seconds should he have waited to find out weather he was going to get attacked or not???

Jake (dep shaw) is an excellent officer, does a {inappropriate language} ton off duty, is basically just an all around awesome individual. I do not know the photographer but after what has transpired he has lost what little respect I would have had for him. He will get a settlement from the sheriffs office no matter what. I would just say he’s lucky to be alive and to not do what 99% of people know not to do again
Sorry for the delay in asking this, just now noticed this posting. Regarding the bolded, the photographer was told this BEFORE the shooting?

UPDATE TO NEWS STORY: Photographer is suing, claims that his employer (business owned by his wife) suffered economic loss

http://www.whio.com/news/crime--law/new ... qnLa2AaUN/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The news photographer shot by a Clark County deputy in New Carlisle in September has filed a federal lawsuit against the deputy, Clark County and the city of New Carlisle.

Andy Grimm filed the lawsuit Thursday seeking damages and the suit calls the shooting “excessive use of force and violation of Mr. Grimm’s constitutional and common law rights.”
The lawsuit also alleges Grimm’s wife, Melanie Grimm and KBA News LLC, which publishes the New Carlisle News, have suffered due to the shooting.

“Plantiff KBA News, LLC asserts loss of business profits as local law enforcement agencies have retaliated against the business in response to the events of Sept. 4,” the lawsuit says.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

It was just a matter of time before he filed a lawsuit. I'm surprised it took him this long. And I think he's got a pretty good case. A good hunter always identifies what he's shooting at before he opens fire.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

And all of that is completely irrelevant. As long as the photographer is not interfering with the actions of the LEO then the LEO can go pound sand. In Ohio, a person (reporter or not) has every right to record, photograph, and observe LEO activity. One does not need to get permission. There is NO requirement that a vehicle be marked before it is allowed to stop and record. There is NO requirement to do so only during daylight hours. There is NO requirement to use a tripod.

As for how "awesome" the LEO is... who cares? For all intents and purposes he attempted to murder someone.
2/327 wrote:A) photographer has been told several times by the new sheriff to “not roll up on traffic stops”

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I need to correct something I posted, but too late to use the edit function. The underlined is incorrect, probably read the news story too quickly. The wife does not own the publication. If the publication really suffered economic loss, shouldn't they be filing a separate suit?

M-Quigley wrote:
UPDATE TO NEWS STORY: Photographer is suing, claims that his employer (business owned by his wife) suffered economic loss

http://www.whio.com/news/crime--law/new ... qnLa2AaUN/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The news photographer shot by a Clark County deputy in New Carlisle in September has filed a federal lawsuit against the deputy, Clark County and the city of New Carlisle.

Andy Grimm filed the lawsuit Thursday seeking damages and the suit calls the shooting “excessive use of force and violation of Mr. Grimm’s constitutional and common law rights.”
The lawsuit also alleges Grimm’s wife, Melanie Grimm and KBA News LLC, which publishes the New Carlisle News, have suffered due to the shooting.

“Plantiff KBA News, LLC asserts loss of business profits as local law enforcement agencies have retaliated against the business in response to the events of Sept. 4,” the lawsuit says.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

UPDATE TO LAWSUIT: Photographer claiming shooting wasn't accidental, new info

https://www.whio.com/news/crime--law/jo ... Cbjv2SnPL/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think regarding the "accidental" comment it's a matter of sematics. Of course the deputy intentially shot, but that's not the same thing as saying he knew what he was shooting at.

The photographer also claims that he didn't get a warning? If the deputy genuinely believed that someone had a rifle on a tripod pointed at him and getting ready to shoot him, the deputy is going to issue a verbal warning?

Of course whether or not the deputy should've reasonably believed that he was in danger under the circumstances or not (and his training or possible lack thereof?) is a different matter than whether or not a warning should've been issued.

Some of the other allegations regarding other deputies and the Sheriff, if true, are pretty disturbing.
In the statement of facts, Clark County Sheriff Deb Burchett admits Deputy Jacob Shaw was not certified to carry a gun when he shot Grimm.
It was nighttime when Grimm pulled up to a traffic stop on the night of Sept. 4, 2017. As he approached the scene, carrying a camera and tripod, Shaw shot him from inside his cruiser. He never warned him and was never told to drop what he was carrying before the shooting, Grimm said.

“The shooting wasn’t an accident. He didn’t accidentally pull his gun out. He didn’t accidentally pull the trigger. He purposefully did this stuff. He didn’t accidentally shoot me,” Grimm said.

The lawsuit focused on parts of a deposition from Burchett. In it, she admitted there was no paperwork to show Shaw was certified to carry a weapon in 2017, which he was required to renew annually.

“I ended up getting shot by a guy who was illegally carrying a firearm,” Grimm said
“He definitely did not give me a warning,” he said.

The lawsuit also contends that Shaw did not have the state-required 13 weeks of field training. At the time of the shooting, he was one week shy of that amount and should not have been on the road unsupervised.

Since the lawsuit was filed, there were text messages sent by Burchett that were unflattering to Grimm, and according to a statement of facts, the sheriff “had a personal vendetta to discredit Andy.”

Grimm said prior to the shooting not one deputy complained of unsafe behavior on his part. Since then, Grimm said deputies fabricated and exaggerated stories about him unsafely approaching law enforcement officers at scenes.

News Center 7’s James Buechele tried to reach the Clark County Sheriff’s Office and Burchett. Once they respond, we will update this report.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

It was New Carlisle. It is about as sleepy as you can get. If the deputy thought that the reporter was someone with a rifle on a tripod then he's an idiot.

From the sounds of it both he and his department failed to follow the rules. He needs to find a new line of work.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Another update: Sheriff' Chief is saying deputy was certified to carry a gun at work

https://www.whio.com/news/local/update- ... LJpsjKs0K/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An amended lawsuit filed by news photographer Andy Grimm, who was shot by Clark County Sheriff’s Deputy Jacob Shaw last September, claims the deputy was not certified to carry his firearm the night of the shooting and that the sheriff cursed the photographer in text messages.

Thursday afternoon, the sheriff’s office maintained that Shaw was fully certified to carry while on duty Sept. 4 when he wounded the New Carlisle News photojournalist.

Documents provided by the sheriff’s office support that Shaw did requalify in January 2016 and again in October 2017 for his Glock .22 handgun — meeting standards set by the Ohio Revised Code and the sheriff’s office, according to Sheriff’s Chief Deputy Jeff Meyer.
Shaw was cleared by both the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation of any criminal wrongdoing and by a Clark County Sheriff’s Office internal investigation that found he followed the rules. Shaw was removed from road patrol during the investigations but has been reassigned to road patrol and is undergoing 10-week training.

Grimm, his wife Melanie and KBA News LLC (owner of the New Carlisle News) are suing Shaw, the county, the city of New Carlisle and Sheriff Deb Burchett in federal court.

Grimm said in an interview that Burchett said during a deposition that Shaw wasn’t properly trained.

“In this deposition, she admits that Deputy Shaw was not certified to carry his firearm,” Grimm said. “And that he should not have been on duty let alone carrying a firearm on Sept. 4. And she also admits that he should have still been in training on that date.”

The sheriff’s office flatly denies the claim.

“Jake Shaw was fully qualified to carry a firearm for all of 2017 in accordance with both Ohio law and Sheriff’s Office policy,” Chief Deputy Meyer said in a statement.
Even if the above statement is true, it doesn't answer whether or not he should've been alone on that date. Perhaps that question will also be addressed at a later date.
Also Thursday, Andy Grimm’s father, Dale, issued a statement in reaction to the one Meyer released.

“To correct an inaccuracy in your statement, the grand jury did not clear him [Shaw] of wrongdoing. They determined that there was not enough evidence to indict him based on the evidence presented.”

Grimm also said in his statement that “we stand behind all claims that we have made to be truthful and accurate.”
docachna

Post by docachna »

M-Quigley wrote:I need to correct something I posted, but too late to use the edit function. The underlined is incorrect, probably read the news story too quickly. The wife does not own the publication. If the publication really suffered economic loss, shouldn't they be filing a separate suit?

Multiple plaintiffs in a civil suit are common, even multiple unrelated plaintiffs. Here, they are joined at the hip, so perfectly appropriate to file one suit and sort it all out once instead of twice (judicial efficiency, for a change).

As to the merits, I think the better argument is on the side of the photographer. He was most certainly being a PITA to the SO by rolling up on their stops (particularly after dark), but last time I checked, that's no violation of state or Federal law. Deputy got WAY too anxious to pop one off, IMHO.

One thing I don't remember seeing - did the deputy have any prior experiences with either this guy or similar photographers ? If yes, I think that makes it even worse for him, as it should have at least occurred to him that it MIGHT be a news stringer.

Not sure how much sympathy a jury out there will have for the photographer, but you never know which twelve "rocks in a box" are going to be the ones that will decide your case. Predict a confidential settlement will occur.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

M-Quigley wrote:Another update: Sheriff' Chief is saying deputy was certified to carry a gun at work

https://www.whio.com/news/local/update- ... LJpsjKs0K/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An amended lawsuit filed by news photographer Andy Grimm, who was shot by Clark County Sheriff’s Deputy Jacob Shaw last September, claims the deputy was not certified to carry his firearm the night of the shooting and that the sheriff cursed the photographer in text messages.

Thursday afternoon, the sheriff’s office maintained that Shaw was fully certified to carry while on duty Sept. 4 when he wounded the New Carlisle News photojournalist.

Documents provided by the sheriff’s office support that Shaw did requalify in January 2016 and again in October 2017 for his Glock .22 handgun — meeting standards set by the Ohio Revised Code and the sheriff’s office, according to Sheriff’s Chief Deputy Jeff Meyer.
Shaw was cleared by both the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation of any criminal wrongdoing and by a Clark County Sheriff’s Office internal investigation that found he followed the rules. Shaw was removed from road patrol during the investigations but has been reassigned to road patrol and is undergoing 10-week training.

Grimm, his wife Melanie and KBA News LLC (owner of the New Carlisle News) are suing Shaw, the county, the city of New Carlisle and Sheriff Deb Burchett in federal court.

Grimm said in an interview that Burchett said during a deposition that Shaw wasn’t properly trained.

“In this deposition, she admits that Deputy Shaw was not certified to carry his firearm,” Grimm said. “And that he should not have been on duty let alone carrying a firearm on Sept. 4. And she also admits that he should have still been in training on that date.”

The sheriff’s office flatly denies the claim.

“Jake Shaw was fully qualified to carry a firearm for all of 2017 in accordance with both Ohio law and Sheriff’s Office policy,” Chief Deputy Meyer said in a statement.
Even if the above statement is true, it doesn't answer whether or not he should've been alone on that date. Perhaps that question will also be addressed at a later date.
Also Thursday, Andy Grimm’s father, Dale, issued a statement in reaction to the one Meyer released.

“To correct an inaccuracy in your statement, the grand jury did not clear him [Shaw] of wrongdoing. They determined that there was not enough evidence to indict him based on the evidence presented.”

Grimm also said in his statement that “we stand behind all claims that we have made to be truthful and accurate.”
I wasn't aware that Glock made a .22 handgun.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

BEAR! wrote:
The Glock 22 is a .40.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

schmieg wrote:
BEAR! wrote:
The Glock 22 is a .40.
The Glock 40 is a .22. :lol: :P

I traded a lawn tractor for a Glock 22 a few years ago, first Glock I ever shot and/or owned. I can see why people love them/hate them.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George