Officer JBT arrests Nurse...

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Officer JBT arrests Nurse...

Post by dustymedic »

djthomas wrote:1. The nurse was released 30 minutes later without being charged.
So it's assault, kidnapping (Took her to another location against her will) and false imprisonment (locked her in the cruiser). I image business cards from lawyers are falling from from the sky like a Christmas snow.. :wink:
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

deanimator wrote:Is there ANY searchable record of that arrest which might in the future come to light in ANY employment screening, licensing (nursing, firearms, etc.), or other process? If so, and for as long as it exists, she's been tangibly and irreparably harmed by the false arrest.
If she'd violently resisted the false arrest for "only" 30 seconds, would you have the same reaction?
First, she didn't violently resist arrest so that's irrelevant. Second, as to what records exist, I doubt there are any because she was never booked in, but who knows. She has an attorney and I'm sure he will competently help her work through those matters. Matters which, by the way, are hers and her attorney's to handle, not uninvolved people outraged on her behalf.
deanimator wrote:There isn't the slightest reason why she should show the cop or the city ANY mercy at all.
Other than the fact that she is an adult and has the right to decide how things proceed from here, perhaps?
deanimator wrote:I wonder when the organized social media campaign against the victim kicks in...
Funny you should mention that. The current social media campaign seems to be pulling very strongly in her favor, complete with her employer, the city and police department backing her play. I will be very impressed (and concerned) if some entity is able to turn that 180 degrees against her.

Ironically this incident could benefit her career-wise. Not saying she wants to go elsewhere, but assuming she met the technical qualifications of a given position I'm quite sure there are hundreds of medical providers that would hire her in a heartbeat, no interview required, right @MustangGal380? Calm, collected, fully docked in to P&P and willing to defend her patient's rights under threat from a man with a gun, and it's all right there on video. THAT's exactly who I'd want working my ER. If she stays where she is tell me she won't receive favorable consideration when she goes for a promotion?
dustymedic wrote:So it's assault, kidnapping (Took her to another location against her will) and false imprisonment (locked her in the cruiser).
In this case, that may well be (I personally think it is). In fact, the PD has already announced that an independent investigation is underway with a prosecutor who is specifically looking at criminal charges. In past news stories she has said she's not sure if she wants to file charges or not, which is her right, and I'm sure the prosecutors will work with her during the process.

Having said that I want to caution that just because someone is restrained in a cruiser for some period of time and released without charges it does not automatically mean that there was no lawful reason for doing so.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

djthomas wrote:First, she didn't violently resist arrest so that's irrelevant. Second, as to what records exist, I doubt there are any because she was never booked in, but who knows. She has an attorney and I'm sure he will competently help her work through those matters. Matters which, by the way, are hers and her attorney's to handle, not uninvolved people outraged on her behalf.
I wasn't directly involved in the assault on Officer Darren Wilson or the murders of the cops in Dallas, yet I'm "outraged" by those crimes. Am I wrong for that?
djthomas wrote:
deanimator wrote:There isn't the slightest reason why she should show the cop or the city ANY mercy at all.
Other than the fact that she is an adult and has the right to decide how things proceed from here, perhaps?
She has a right to be a martyr to the cop's continued career. That doesn't make doing so a wise decision.
djthomas wrote:
deanimator wrote:I wonder when the organized social media campaign against the victim kicks in...
Funny you should mention that. The current social media campaign seems to be pulling very strongly in her favor, complete with her employer, the city and police department backing her play. I will be very impressed (and concerned) if some entity is able to turn that 180 degrees against her.
The barmaid stomped by the Chicago cop had overwhelming public support as well. That didn't deter in any way a very obviously coordinated campaign of libel against her.

Officer Darren Wilson was quite obviously in the right for shooting Michael Brown. Has that stopped the libel campaign against him?
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

djthomas wrote:Our policy is crystal clear that even with a warrant in hand we cannot compel any particular healthcare professional to carry it out, even if the wording of the warrant seems to say otherwise. Not touching that with a 10 foot pole.
In most hospital settings, you can find at least on doctor/nurse/phlebotomist who is willing to do a blood draw pursuant to valid search warrant. However, you will find very few who are willing to do a court-approved blood draw on a subject in a fit of rage.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Face

Post by Face »

Has no bearing - but I read she is a former Olympic contestant and I believe medal winner...
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Regardless of the outcome of the criminal investigation hopefully the hospital system will send the officer a letter advising that assaults against its staff cannot be tolerated, and therefore he is being personally trespassed. They can't stop him from entering on official business but nothing says they have to maintain a patient relationship with him (if one exists) or allow him to visit other patients. I don't know what the healthcare situation is in SLC but if I got bounced from the Cleveland Clinic it would be a major frigging hassle for my whole family.

And yes, the Clinic will trespass people who assault their staff. I've seen it before.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

djthomas wrote:Regardless of the outcome of the criminal investigation hopefully the hospital system will send the officer a letter advising that assaults against its staff cannot be tolerated, and therefore he is being personally trespassed.
Whereupon the hospital and its personnel will be labeled "cop haters".
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

My wife, who was a nurse, once told me years ago that LEO would like to give a warning to a nurse or doctor during a traffic violation stop than a ticket. For the simple fact that if the LEO would happen to get injured on the job and sent to the ER, he really wouldn't want the nurse/doctor treating him that he just gave a $100 traffic ticket to. I guess Detective Payne wasn't using his brain.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

deanimator wrote:
djthomas wrote:1. The nurse was released 30 minutes later without being charged.
Is there ANY searchable record of that arrest which might in the future come to light in ANY employment screening, licensing (nursing, firearms, etc.), or other process? If so, and for as long as it exists, she's been tangibly and irreparably harmed by the false arrest.

If she'd violently resisted the false arrest for "only" 30 seconds, would you have the same reaction?

If there's even the SLIGHTEST chance that an employer or other entity entitled to screen her background might come across this arrest information and could view it in a negative light, she has been harmed and deserves to be compensated.
Considering her name, the story and the video has been on the big 3 network evening TV news, plus fox and msnbc, plus all of my local news stations covered it (so I assume others across the country have also) and mentioned on the radio news, you'd have to be living under a rock not to have heard of this. She's gotten more news coverage in the last 24 hours than Trump has.

And speaking of "saying the right things", has the union weighed in yet?

I wonder when the organized social media campaign against the victim kicks in...
I just checked a few minutes ago, as of this time the few news sources that mention the FOP has said the FOP has no comment at this time.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

M-Quigley wrote:I just checked a few minutes ago, as of this time the few news sources that mention the FOP has said the FOP has no comment at this time.
Oh, they will. It just may not be under their name...
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

M-Quigley wrote:I just checked a few minutes ago, as of this time the few news sources that mention the FOP has said the FOP has no comment at this time.
And in related news, TBL continues to crumble as the patient's police chief calls the nurse heroic for standing firm in protecting the rights of others and expects a thorough investigation into the incident with appropriate action.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

djthomas wrote:
And in related news, TBL continues to crumble as the patient's police chief calls the nurse heroic for standing firm in protecting the rights of others and expects a thorough investigation into the incident with appropriate action.
How does the FOP deal with a situation where on the one hand, you have accused cops, and OTOH one of the potential victims of the alleged wrongdoing is also a cop? Which side do they take if any?
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

M-Quigley wrote:How does the FOP deal with a situation where on the one hand, you have accused cops, and OTOH one of the potential victims of the alleged wrongdoing is also a cop? Which side do they take if any?
They remain OFFICIALLY silent the way they did in Chicago when first it was revealed that at least one of the "SOS" home invasion gang victims was a cop, then the ringleader was caught trying to have some of his fellow cops murdered so that they couldn't talk to the Feds.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

djthomas wrote:
Also the mayor, and the prosecutor has called for an independent investigation and possible criminal charges.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
calvin56

Post by calvin56 »

I speculate that the original reason for the blood draw was the hope they could find intoxicants. They really needed to try to shift blame for the accident that was caused by their hot pursuit. I realise that an accident involving a CDL often involves drug tests but not when the trucker was so clearly the the victim.