gun use during the Charlottesville Va protest

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

gun use during the Charlottesville Va protest

Postby M-Quigley » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:36 pm

With all the coverage of the death involving the car, I didn't know until recently there was a gun use at the protest. It was a warning shot directed at a counter protester with some kind of blowtorch item, not a torch with upward flame but one that shot flame out to one side. (like a mini flamethrower) Although the news link is critical of the police response, that is NOT why I'm posting the news link. The video shows the incident and is educational if someone is in a similar situation. Even if you avoid political protests, it doesn't mean that if you live or work in a city that you won't be caught up in one. I haven't seen any reporting that the person with the torch has been charged with anything, despite it being a deadly weapon. Also unknown is if the shooter had not fired the warning shot whether he would've still been charged or not. Notice I said "would've", not "should've" because many times that is two different things.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/25/us/c ... ml?mcubz=0

If the video link doesn't work, here is another link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ro7U_Yoc4

The guy who fired the shot was allegedly charged, but not the guy with the torch.
M-Quigley

Re: gun use during the Charlottesville Va protest

Postby TJW815 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:06 pm

First, in my opinion, most all who attended this "event" need to grow up.

Couple things;
1.) Who carries a torch like that? I mean, were they just prepared to start the fires we see in these "peaceful protests"?
2.) Did his gun jamb or was he carryng without one in the pipe?
3.) Both the flamer and the shooter, in my non-professional opinion, need to be arrested, charged, and convicted.

Last and certainly not least, DO NOT FIRE WARNING SHOTS! If you have time to give a warning with a firearm, you weren't in imminent danger. Especially since he walked away then turned to walk back.
TJW815

Postby marca » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:11 pm

I had heard about this, but the video makes it look pretty clear that the fire was mostly for show and not a real threat. Fire that thing in my face and I would shoot in a heartbeat.
marca

Postby M-Quigley » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:13 pm

Additional info on the incident and the shooters charges:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/27/us/man-ar ... index.html

The Virginia State Police confirmed Saturday that their officers were nearby, but said they were unaware of the incident.
"From where they were standing, none was witness to the incident," Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller told CNN in an email. "Nor did they hear the single shot being fired because it was muffled by the loud volume of the crowd yelling and chanting, drums and music."
"Had any one of our troopers witnessed that incident, they would have immediately acted just as they did for the other four arrests made during the weekend," she added.

Preston is charged with discharging a firearm within 1,000 feet of a school, a felony that carries up to 10 years in prison.
M-Quigley

Return to In The News