Jefferson Co. judge shoots back at attacker

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Jefferson Co. judge shoots back at attacker

Post by dl1911 »

M-Quigley wrote:
"Whoever thought this could happen here?" Abdalla said.
This statement is why carrying all the time is so important. The town where the nurse, the STNA, and the police chief were killed probably thought the same thing. So many people who have a CHL don't carry, and say "Oh, I only carry when I think I need to." Although there are places, times, or job circumstances when your likelihood of violent crime is increased, (like being a judge) it doesn't always merely happen in "bad" towns or neighborhoods, or at night, or to judges either.
If I think I may need a gun somewhere, that's somewhere I don't want to go! I also carry all the time as well. If you are in a SD shooting and get the anti or just jerk prosecutor I understand it can help make their bogus case harder. "

P:If you felt it was so dangerous to go there that you needed a gun, why go there?
CHL:Well, I always carry where it's allowed following the laws and posted signs.
P:Everywhere? Even when sitting at home.
CHL:Yup.
P:While cutting the lawn, shoveling snow, etc.
CHL:Yup.
P:While...
CHL:Yup

Helps prevent them from trying to say you were looking for trouble. They still may try that, but it won't be because you chose to carry a gun to a specific place because you thought that place was dangerous.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
docachna

Post by docachna »

As predicted................Daddy done it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 585584001/
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

but why... This seems to make the connection between the shooter and this specific judge.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... oting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's now been revealed that Richmond filed a wrongful death lawsuit in Bruzzese's court back in April.

In the lawsuit, Richmond alleges that the Jefferson Metropolitan Housing Authority (JMHA) was responsible for the death of his mother, Mae E. Richmond and death of his 2-year-old great-nephew as a result from a house fire in 2015.

Richmond's lawsuit alleges the home had exposed electrical wires and had missing and inoperable smoke alarms.

A hearing is scheduled for August 28th in which the judge was to consider the JMHA's motion to dismiss all punitive damages and another claim that critical evidence was lost when the house was torn down immediately after the fire.

Authorities said on Tuesday that surveillance footage captured the shooting scene where Richmond had fired at least five times at Bruzzese who was armed and fired back. At least one of his bullets hit Richmond, according to officials.
Angry because he thought he was going to miss out on his expected payday ??
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:As noted in another thread, judges are exempt. No need to interpret the law in their favor or ignore it.
2923.123 Illegal conveyance of deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance into courthouse - illegal possession or control in courthouse.
(A) No person shall knowingly convey or attempt to convey a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance into a courthouse or into another building or structure in which a courtroom is located.
(B) No person shall knowingly possess or have under the person's control a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance in a courthouse or in another building or structure in which a courtroom is located.
(C) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(1) Except as provided in division (E) of this section, a judge of a court of record of this state or a magistrate;
Okay, so the judicial branch asked for and got this from the legislative branch, then it was signed off by the executive branch. Still a case of holier than thou in my view.
Agreed.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

djthomas wrote: That's an interesting historical perspective, because normally the "camel's nose under the tent" analogy is used to describe the progressive erosion of something. Judges have been allowed to carry deadly weapons in courthouses long before concealed carry was legal in Ohio, so no exception has been added for judges. It has pretty much always been there; if anything the camel's nose is private citizens' carry rights being continually expanded.

And there's the problem. The "pro-RKBA" people start from the presupposition that they are second class citizens and that people on government payrolls are their superiors.
djthomas wrote: There's also the constitutional issue of separation of powers. If a judge believes that carrying a firearm within his courthouse is a necessary and proper exercise of his court's inherent authority to operate itself, how is the the Legislature's prerogative to interfere?
You're misconstruing what I'm advocating, perhaps unintentionally. I don't have a problem with officers of the court being able to conceal weapons in government buildings. Yea, even the vaunted Notary Public. I would support that heartily. I simply don't agree that the common citizen should have to disarm at the door, unless and until there is a due process proceeding (that they are directly involved in) being conducted . There's no need to write an exception into the law, no matter how long it has been there, other than to create separate classes of citizens.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
docachna

Post by docachna »

Interesting article (May 2017) from the National Center For State Courts. The law is all over the place as to judges carrying into the courthouse.

https://law.duke.edu/sites/default/file ... 7-guns.pdf
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

docachna wrote:Interesting article (May 2017) from the National Center For State Courts. The law is all over the place as to judges carrying into the courthouse.

https://law.duke.edu/sites/default/file ... 7-guns.pdf
I wasn't able to click on the link. I was however able to copy and paste it in a new window to get there.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Yes, thanks. :)