San Antonio Ditches Shotspotter

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

San Antonio Ditches Shotspotter

Post by Bruenor »

Too much money for too few results. Who would have guessed ?? (just about anyone with half a brain)
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/ ... 817475.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The city spent about $546,000 total on the ShotSpotter program, which includes $378,000 on the system itself and a new mobile app for officers, and another $168,000 on overtime to ensure a patrol officer responded to every ShotSpotter alert that went off between the hours of 5 p.m. and 3 a.m.
The payoff? San Antonio police have made four arrests and confiscated seven weapons in cases that could be attributed specifically to the ShotSpotter alert system.

About 80 percent of the times when ShotSpotter was activated, police could find no evidence of a shooting at the scene
http://www.expressnews.com/news/local/a ... 824797.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That’s $136,500 per arrest.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: San Antonio Ditches Shotspotter

Post by techmike »

I am surprised they quit using it. Results usually do not matter with these people.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

This is because of the easy access to suppressors and silencers that have been deregulated by government officials so even felons and criminals can use them without shotspotter being able to pinpoint the shot.

-so says the anti's.... :roll: Despite the truth that nothing has been deregulated.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yep. Usually if they aren't getting the results they want it just means they haven't spent enough.
techmike wrote:I am surprised they quit using it. Results usually do not matter with these people.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

techmike wrote:I am surprised they quit using it. Results usually do not matter with these people.
It would be interesting to see just how many calls they responded to from alerts. If "a patrol officer responded to every ShotSpotter alert that went off between the hours of 5 p.m. and 3 a.m." it seems like officers and supervisors might eventually start griping about wasted responses and out-of-service officers during those responses.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Cincinnati just signed up for this program. Don't know if they threw any money into it yet, though. And Cincy's mayor John Cranley just joined Mayors Against Illegal Guns. I thought that outfit was waning, but honestly haven't checked lately.

Glad I live outside that city, but some of the neighboring governments play " monkey see, monkey do" using Cincy as a shining example.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

sodbuster95 wrote:
It would be interesting to see just how many calls they responded to from alerts. If "a patrol officer responded to every ShotSpotter alert that went off between the hours of 5 p.m. and 3 a.m." it seems like officers and supervisors might eventually start griping about wasted responses and out-of-service officers during those responses.
I also found it interesting in the second article where they talked about calls from citizens where shotspotter didn't trip and the police respond to the citizens calls to mop up the aftermath of a shooting.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson