Cop asked to take gun out of Dr's office

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Cop asked to take gun out of Dr's office

Post by bignflnut »

Chief Philip Dupuis told The Courier he was wearing his badge on his belt in plain view next to his handgun, as well as his Conroe PD identification on a lanyard around his neck when he entered the doctor's office in the 3900 block of Pinecroft Drive around 4 p.m. and started to check in. A receptionist took his driver's license and insurance card before questioning him about the gun on his hip.

Dupuis said she asked him to take his gun out to his car. The 35-year law enforcement veteran, who never has had an accidental discharge, refused to disarm himself, reiterating that he is a police officer.

That's when he was asked to leave, Dupuis said.

"It's just bad," Dupuis said. "My badge is clearly displayed. I have my lanyard on with 'police' on my ID card hanging around my neck. I had handcuffs. The lobby was full of people, and they asked me to leave because of who I am."
No, you were asked to leave because of the inanimate object you brought with you. You're not a special race of person who has an immutable characteristic that defines you. You can be removed from your profession, and remain who you are. Granted, citizens should be allowed to keep and bear arms because the law applies equally in a doctors office, as it does in a park, or a stadium, or a grocery store, or a school, or a workplace, etc...but none of this has anything to do with WHO you are, rather, what government and laws govern the land.
"I didn't think twice about it because I can and do carry everywhere," Dupuis said. "I carry to protect myself and I carry to protect my family and the public."
Louis Armstrong plays in my head. Many of us would say the same about protecting self and loved ones. Welcome to the Pro-RKBA, Pro-liberty side of the argument. Amen and Amen.
"These people have the right to do what they did and refuse my service," he said. "Legally, they can ask me to leave because I'm not there on official business."

These people? Are they different from you in some way? Your service? How were you serving them? Patronage, yes. Service, no.
But for Dupuis, the incident hit a little too close to home. He has two children who want to be police officers when they grow up.

"After a day like today, I want to come home and try and talk them out of it," Dupuis said. "I shouldn't have to talk my children out of being in a profession that I have loved for so long and has provided for me and my family a good life. When I see something like this, I don't want my kids going through this."
Oh, you poor, precious soul! The hardship is too much to (keep and) bear!
Try having people knock down your door with guns drawn, destroying your home, perhaps shooting your dog, and then saying that they had the wrong address?

Were officers so short sighted to think that if the society at large was allowed to whip up this fervor about guns and gun violence, that they wouldn't eventually become targets of the fervor? Did they really think that they'd be held aside as a special people who should have guns? When all people see is the inanimate object they fear, they don't care who wields it. How could this trend go any other way?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Cop asked to take gun out of Dr's office

Post by WY_Not »

Meh. My read on this is if the LEO is there on official business, ie called out or responding to a report, then he carries.

If he is there as normal person, ie there to see the doctor about a medical issue, then too bad take the firearm to the car just like the rest of us have to do. If this is the case then not much sympathy.

Poor little fellow... They didn't ask him to leave because of "who I am", they asked him to leave because he couldn't follow the rules and thought he was above them.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
hall1343

Post by hall1343 »

While responding to the request to take the firearm out of the office I sure hope he included "Can I also have the paperwork to transfer all of my medical records to a new physician?"
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

hall1343 wrote:While responding to the request to take the firearm out of the office I sure hope he included "Can I also have the paperwork to transfer all of my medical records to a new physician?"
He will be:
Dupuis initially took to Facebook to express his displeasure, stating, "I will be looking for a new ENT, just asked to leave ... because I am wearing my gun, badge, and ID. I have never been so embarrassed ... in my 35 years of law enforcement. ..."
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

What's all the fuss about? Why doesn't he just leave it out in his car? That's what the police chief of Dayton Ohio does with his service weapon. Oh wait,... :roll:
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

So he's embarrassed because they treated him like they would treat any other patient? :roll: Perhaps instead of feeling "embarrassed" he should consider why he thinks he should be treated any differently than anyone else.

Let the government employees, politicians, and bureaucrats live by the same rules they try to impose on everyone else.
Dupuis initially took to Facebook to express his displeasure, stating, "I will be looking for a new ENT, just asked to leave ... because I am wearing my gun, badge, and ID. I have never been so embarrassed ... in my 35 years of law enforcement. ..."
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.