NJ 'gun buyback' nets 4775 firearms

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

NJ 'gun buyback' nets 4775 firearms

Post by Bruenor »

I have a hard time believing those numbers for a 2 day event. I've never heard of one of these 'buybacks' coming anywhere near those quantities.

https://www.facebook.com/NJAttorneyGene ... 1967433456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NJ Attorney General Porrino announced a today at a press conference in Newark that 4,775 guns were collected
http://www.nj.gov/guns/faq.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$100 for a rifle or shotgun, $120 for a handgun or revolver, and $200 for an assault weapon.
How much funding would that take..

1973 handguns at $120.00 = $236,760.00
2167 Rifles and Shotguns @ $100.00 = $216,700.00
129 'assault rifles' @ $200.00 = $25,800.00

Total $479,260.00

What a waste. Also my math says that comes to 4269 firearms, not 4775... what happened to the other 506 firearms. that would be at least another $50k
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
JediSkipdogg

Re: NJ 'gun buyback' nets 4775 firearms

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Supposedly your funding isn't far off. Looking at other news articles they are showing around that amount and all paid for by forfeitures.
Overall, the State expended $481,620 in forfeiture monies on the buybacks.
I couldn't find anything though that would make the number of firearms traded in equal. So, they are doing some odd math on that.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

It's obvious from one of the photos that at least a few of the guns are inoperable. I wonder how many of them are stolen?
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

I do not like to make generalizations. But... :P Have not heard of anything good that comes out of a few of our 50 states. Illinios is #1, but New Jersey is a close second. I would love to have trace data on those buy-back fire arms.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

I like where one of the rifles was "designed" to pierce body armor! Shows his gun knowledge.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Cruiser wrote:I like where one of the rifles was "designed" to pierce body armor! Shows his gun knowledge.
Think what that rifle could do if it were loaded with ammunition.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

schmieg wrote:
Cruiser wrote:I like where one of the rifles was "designed" to pierce body armor! Shows his gun knowledge.
Think what that rifle could do if it were loaded with ammunition.
Must have a bayonet on it, like the Chinese SKS, and spike bayonet I Own. Imported as is without bayonet 922r does not apply. Apparently if I attach the bayonet to my Chinese SKS, suddenly 922r kicks in and the firearm becomes super deadlier (and can probably pierce body armor), unless I change out a bunch of original parts for US made parts to get the foreign part count down, then it can become 922r compliant and safe again .. what an idiotic law.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Supposedly your funding isn't far off. Looking at other news articles they are showing around that amount and all paid for by forfeitures.
Overall, the State expended $481,620 in forfeiture monies on the buybacks.
I couldn't find anything though that would make the number of firearms traded in equal. So, they are doing some odd math on that.

From their facebook post, the numbers are skewed by:
Thanks for reaching out! The remaining 506 weapons were pellet guns, BB guns, military grade weapons, etc. that were collected on site.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Thanks for reaching out! The remaining 506 weapons were pellet guns, BB guns, military grade weapons, etc. that were collected on site.
OK I'll give em the Pellet guns and BB guns, but what does military grade weapons mean ??
Μολὼν λαβέ

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Bruenor wrote:
OK I'll give em the Pellet guns and BB guns, but what does military grade weapons mean ??
Probably anything more than a pellet or bb gun.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

One of the A2 patterned rifles has the safety in the third position. Could be a number of reasons for that but I'd be curious if it really has a FA or 3RB trigger group. Could just be a jacked up build too.
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe