Indy cop shot by person trapped in upside down car

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Indy cop shot by person trapped in upside down car

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/crim ... 525852001/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The suspect accused of fatally shooting Southport Police Lt. Aaron Allan fired more than a dozen shots, and the officer sustained 14 gunshot wounds, according to a probable cause affidavit released Monday.

Jason Brown, 28, Indianapolis, was fastened by seat belt in the driver's seat and upside down in an overturned 2004 BMW 325 after a car accident when he started shooting, the Marion Superior Court document said.

Allan was struck in his body, both arms, right leg and upper back as he tried to crawl away. He died less than an hour later at Eskenazi Hospital.
Allan and Homecroft Police Maj. C.T. Bowman were coming to the aid of Brown and his passenger after the Thursday afternoon accident on the 6600 block of South Madison Avenue in Homecroft.

"The guy was hysterical," Bowman told investigators, according to the court document. "Lt. Allan climbed into the car thinking that it was a personal injury accident, not thinking the guy is going to start shooting."

Bowman said he heard 12 to 15 gunshots.

The passenger, a 20-year-old man, told investigators that Brown had picked him up at the Country Club Apartments and stopped at a gas station. Brown suddenly started driving fast on Madison Avenue and darting around other vehicles before losing control, jumping a concrete median, caroming across oncoming traffic lanes, striking a fence and flipping the car, the document said. The passenger said he did not know why Brown started driving so fast.

After the shooting, officers found a 9-mm handgun inside the car. The slide was locked back and held an empty 20-round magazine.

High-capacity magazines are legal in Indiana and 41 other states. The passenger told police Brown had a handgun permit.

Investigators also found a 1-quart baggie with 13 smaller baggies filled with suspected marijuana, the document said.
Regarding the "handgun permit", the article didn't say if that was true or not, and what kind of permit it was, if any.
Brian D.

Re: Indy cop shot by person trapped in upside down car

Post by Brian D. »

I think (been a while since looking it up) Indiana has two levels of handgun "permits". One is more or less only good for transport to and from ranges, it doesn't serve as a carry license. The other is a carry license, and it's even available in a lifetime version.

Relatively few Indiana residents buy the "range/transport only" thing, because it's only a small savings over a carry license.

As to the story, I bet we're a good long way from having all the pertinent facts. What the car's passenger states isn't passing the ol' sniff test for me.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Face

Post by Face »

What constitutes a a high-capacity magazine in IN?

http://smartgunlaws.org/gun-laws/policy ... nes/#state" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That site shows ... none - no idea if true or not.

I was there a few years ago and reading the IN rules before hand saw nothing.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:I think (been a while since looking it up) Indiana has two levels of handgun "permits". One is more or less only good for transport to and from ranges, it doesn't serve as a carry license. The other is a carry license, and it's even available in a lifetime version.

Relatively few Indiana residents buy the "range/transport only" thing, because it's only a small savings over a carry license.

As to the story, I bet we're a good long way from having all the pertinent facts. What the car's passenger states isn't passing the ol' sniff test for me.
It doesn't for me either. It's possible though that the passenger was told that by the driver. It's really sad that the cop thought he was rescuing someone, and that someone shot him. :(