AZ tells armed drivers how to avoid deadly police stops

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AlanM

AZ tells armed drivers how to avoid deadly police stops

Post by AlanM »

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
glocksmith

Re: AZ tells armed drivers how to avoid deadly police stops

Post by glocksmith »

While they are at it, they should tell police officers how to avoid deadly police stops...too. After all, it takes two to make a deadly encounter.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

The new edition of the driver’s manual, published about a month ago, advises drivers with guns to keep their hands on the steering wheel during traffic stops and tell officers right away that there’s a firearm in the car.

It also tells drivers not to reach for anything inside the vehicle without getting permission first. And officers can take possession of guns, for safety reasons, until the stop is completed. The firearms would be returned if no crime has been committed.
AKA "How to properly prostrate yourself before your master"

Illegal / lethal to scare a State official, don'tchaknow.
“It all comes down to safety,” said Quentin Mehr, a spokesman for the state police agency.
Who's safety, Quentin? The individual who can "legally" touch/use/KEEP/BEAR his weapon, or somebody else?

In a vehicle transporting 4 adult males, only one has a steering wheel to prostrate himself on. What would master have the other three adult males do to properly prostrate themselves? Are they not threats to the felt security of the pair of officers? Even though they're all wearing jerseys and hats of the local home team, would they be instantly accused to running drugs, public intoxication, or some other such crime?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

I've got an idea so crazy it might just work!

How about if the police stop creating "crises" that require "split second decisions", then shooting their way out of them.

If they did THAT, there's a good chance that Philando Castile wouldn't have been killed and Levar Jones wouldn't have been shot.

Just to clarify, don't tell somebody to do something then shoot them for doing it in a completely foreseeable way.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
High Power

Post by High Power »

deanimator wrote:I've got an idea so crazy it might just work!

How about if the police stop creating "crises" that require "split second decisions", then shooting their way out of them.

If they did THAT, there's a good chance that Philando Castile wouldn't have been killed and Levar Jones wouldn't have been shot.

Just to clarify, don't tell somebody to do something then shoot them for doing it in a completely foreseeable way.
Bingo! I couldn't have said it any better. Why don't they train the officers to act more responsibly? 99% of the gun owners aren't criminals. The LEOs need to realize that.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

High Power wrote: 99% of the gun owners aren't criminals. The LEOs need to realize that.
In support of this point...
A Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC) study shows that concealed carry permit holders are among the most law-abiding of law-abiding citizens in the country.

For example, for 2016 the study shows that just .0092% of Louisiana permit holders were charged with a felony in 2016. And in 2015 there “were 25,208 violent crimes in Louisiana, with 19 felony charges or convictions against permit holders.” Assuming the felonies were violent and the charges against permit holders stand, this still means permit holders only represent .08% of those who committed violent crimes.

Moreover, “the vast majority of … [cases involving concealed permit holders] are unlikely to involve firearms.”

According to CPRC, the percentage of Michigan concealed permit holders convicted of aggravated assault in 2015-2016 was .003%. The percentage of Michigan permit holders convicted of aggravated assaults in 2014-2015 was .002%
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
High Power

Post by High Power »

bignflnut wrote:
High Power wrote: 99% of the gun owners aren't criminals. The LEOs need to realize that.
In support of this point...
A Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC) study shows that concealed carry permit holders are among the most law-abiding of law-abiding citizens in the country.

For example, for 2016 the study shows that just .0092% of Louisiana permit holders were charged with a felony in 2016. And in 2015 there “were 25,208 violent crimes in Louisiana, with 19 felony charges or convictions against permit holders.” Assuming the felonies were violent and the charges against permit holders stand, this still means permit holders only represent .08% of those who committed violent crimes.

Moreover, “the vast majority of … [cases involving concealed permit holders] are unlikely to involve firearms.”

According to CPRC, the percentage of Michigan concealed permit holders convicted of aggravated assault in 2015-2016 was .003%. The percentage of Michigan permit holders convicted of aggravated assaults in 2014-2015 was .002%
Thank you!

When the LEOs start harassing gun owners and CHL holders (even shooting them) then I may not be inclined to help an officer in trouble if I see it. Why should I put myself in jeopardy when law abiding gun owners have been harassed and shot by those that are supposed to "protect and to serve?"

Think about this. An armed citizen could be a hero one day if he helps a LEO in a shoot-out. Then the next day gets harassed by some jerk on the force for open-carrying in a city park. Rational people would have to ask themselves if it's worth risking their lives for a police force that may be pitted against them?

If you don't think that's possible then ask yourselves about how many times in the past that you have gone out of your way to help a person or group of people then when you need help from them; they don't remember who you are.

I got hassled once by a LEO and I didn't do anything wrong. He was a complete jerk and threatened to arrest me. He finally backed off when I told him that I wasn't talking with him anymore and if he wasn't going to arrest me than I am free to go.

He was such an intimidating jerk that I don't think I would come to his aid if a BG was getting the best of him at a traffic stop. I would probably call 911 and video everything with my smart phone but why should I risk getting hurt over a jerk who didn't care about the truth or my rights?

If the state is going to "educate" gun owners about how to behave during a traffic stop they also need to "educate" the LEOs making the traffic stop and remind them that they aren't God. They can't shoot first and ask questions later.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

deanimator wrote:I've got an idea so crazy it might just work!

WOW. Well written.
I am becoming a "deanimator" fan!
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

High Power wrote: When the LEOs start harassing gun owners and CHL holders (even shooting them) then I may not be inclined to help an officer in trouble if I see it. Why should I put myself in jeopardy when law abiding gun owners have been harassed and shot by those that are supposed to "protect and to serve?"...

...but why should I risk getting hurt over a jerk who didn't care about the truth or my rights?
I would'nt help a Cop. NOT MY JOB MAN!!! (I know it's not his "job" to protect me as an individual) I think I would just video it, and be a good witness.

I believe I would have to fight a strong "impulse " to help...but really, why incure the "liability"? Officer Harless is too recent in my memory... :roll:
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.