caller reporting rape shot by police while on phone w/them

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

caller reporting rape shot by police while on phone w/them

Post by Bruenor »

There's no amount of spin....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -RAPE.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On Saturday night, Damond had called 911 to attend a noise and possible assault in the alley, and was reportedly speaking to the two officers through the drivers side window when the officer in the front passenger seat shot her through the drivers side door.
Mohammed Noor shot Justine Damond, 40, who was wearing pajamas, multiple times from the passenger seat of his squad car while she spoke to his colleague on the drivers side in a back alley.
Both officer's bodycams were off and the squad car camera not recording when Damond - who was in her pajamas - was killed at around 11.30pm on Saturday, just a month before she was due to marry.
They have admitted that no weapons were recovered from the scene and according to the Star Tribune witnesses to the shooting have described Damond approaching the police cruiser in the alley behind her house.
She was holding her cell phone and talking to an officer on the drivers side before she was shot.
The only concrete statement the BCA has made so far is to confirm that 'At one point an officer fired their weapon, fatally striking a woman'.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
deanimator

Re: caller reporting rape shot by police while on phone w/th

Post by deanimator »

Bruenor wrote:There's no amount of spin....
Come on, there's ALWAYS spin!

In this case, I'm sure there'll be more spin than a pulsar has...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

He shot through the car door 2 to 3 times and the bullets still had strength to kill. That teaches us how much cover a door gives. I also imagine you're not going to be ask the driver anything until his hearing comes back.

The shooter has had three complaints and a lawsuit filed on him in his two years on the force.

Another "Shoot first for officer safety" shooting. :roll:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

One report I read said he shot through the open driver's side window.
Which sort of means the driver is now deaf.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I've read a lot about this today. Right now I see no reasonable defense for the officer's actions. None, nada, zilch.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Face

Post by Face »

I saw a post elsewhere with the Minneapolis PD's equipment. Was curious what firearm they were issues. Turns out - NONE. They must use their own, purchased weapon, from a short list of allowed ones. Sig320, Glocks, S&W MP for newer officers, and ones hired before 2015 (or so) can continue to use from some other list that I did not see.

Is this common elsewhere? Wonder how training comes into play between different weapons? Of course, they must qualify with it, but we are all aware of what that can mean, good or bad.

Some are trying to play the "race card" - the officer was Somali but arrived in the US at a young age.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Brian D. wrote:I've read a lot about this today. Right now I see no reasonable defense for the officer's actions. None, nada, zilch.
I'm sure his imam could list a few.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Tru-Heathen wrote:
Brian D. wrote:I've read a lot about this today. Right now I see no reasonable defense for the officer's actions. None, nada, zilch.
I'm sure his imam could list a few.
We're likely to see the rare confluence of narratives: islamists and police unions on the same side...
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I'm with you and supposedly the PD is saying they don't see how it's good either, but aren't coming out with full details yet. Just interesting though that since she was white, no riots.
Face wrote:I saw a post elsewhere with the Minneapolis PD's equipment. Was curious what firearm they were issues. Turns out - NONE. They must use their own, purchased weapon, from a short list of allowed ones. Sig320, Glocks, S&W MP for newer officers, and ones hired before 2015 (or so) can continue to use from some other list that I did not see.

Is this common elsewhere? Wonder how training comes into play between different weapons? Of course, they must qualify with it, but we are all aware of what that can mean, good or bad.

Some are trying to play the "race card" - the officer was Somali but arrived in the US at a young age.

It's more common than you would think. A lot of smaller departments that can't afford everything do this. It could also be a case of they are given a weapons allowance annually and they select their own. I know of one department around Cincinnati that gives officers something like $500 every four years and says they can buy their own from an pretty large approved list. That way the officer is most comfortable shooting what he/she desires and also they can replace or maintain the weapon every four years. I personally prefer that method as it gives the officer the most flexibility and not everyone will shoot a Glock or M&P perfect.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

JediSkipdogg wrote:I'm with you and supposedly the PD is saying they don't see how it's good either, but aren't coming out with full details yet.
Has the union weighed in yet?

Given that the union in the Kinsey case has come out in full throated support of the cop who shot Charles Kinsey, I have no doubt that the union in this case will find SOME justification for this shooting, regardless of any objective facts.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I can see it now....itchy figure thought the phone was a gun..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

deanimator wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:I'm with you and supposedly the PD is saying they don't see how it's good either, but aren't coming out with full details yet.
Has the union weighed in yet?

Given that the union in the Kinsey case has come out in full throated support of the cop who shot Charles Kinsey, I have no doubt that the union in this case will find SOME justification for this shooting, regardless of any objective facts.
The police union and the Somali American Police Association, both of which he was a member of, have both declined to comment until the investigation is complete.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

JediSkipdogg wrote:The police union and the Somali American Police Association, both of which he was a member of, have both declined to comment until the investigation is complete.
How bad does it have to look in order for the union not to reflexively support the cop?
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
I'm with you and supposedly the PD is saying they don't see how it's good either, but aren't coming out with full details yet. Just interesting though that since she was white, no riots.
No riots, but there are people in Australia who are blaming this on lack of gun control laws. :roll:
This despite the fact that Australian cops carry guns. The theory is the Australian cops aren't so quick on the trigger from fear of getting shot by criminals as much as American cops. So basically it's the NRA or other law abiding gun owners fault, because if guns were outlawed, the American criminals would quit carrying them too, and everybody would be safer. :roll:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/au ... 565d8c6c07" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/minneapolis ... n-culture/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Brings a different spin to checking white privilege.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member