caller reporting rape shot by police while on phone w/them

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Re: caller reporting rape shot by police while on phone w/th

Post by Bruenor »

Well I guess you can argue pretty much anything you want. Doesn't mean anyone is going to buy it.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Bruenor wrote:Well I guess you can argue pretty much anything you want. Doesn't mean anyone is going to buy it.
Any word on the union's attitude?

If anybody's going to at least pretend to believe him, it's them.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
High Power

Post by High Power »

deanimator wrote:
Bruenor wrote:Well I guess you can argue pretty much anything you want. Doesn't mean anyone is going to buy it.
Any word on the union's attitude?

If anybody's going to at least pretend to believe him, it's them.
In this article, it appears that the Union is trying to circle the wagons. The union told its officers not to testify. So the DA had to subpoena them. Imagine that!

http://www.startribune.com/tension-rise ... 475458363/

In this article this statement says it all:
Asked why it took eight months to bring charges, Freeman blamed the blue wall of silence.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/of ... er-n831206

From the next article:
The Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis has learned of the charges filed against Officer Noor in the shooting death of Justine Damond. The Federation isn’t privy to the details of the criminal case and cannot comment on specifics of the case. We recognize the tragic shooting of Justine Damond has greatly impacted, not only her family and friends, our membership, but also our community. We respect the criminal justice process and wait for the case to proceed before making further comment.
I really don't believe that the union isn't privy to the details of the case. They know damn well what happened but are going to circle the wagons to protect a killer.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/03/2 ... ice-union/
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

This excerpt from the Star Tribune article speaks volumes:

"Lt. Bob Kroll, president of the Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis, said that Freeman was subpoenaing dozens of officers who were only tangentially involved in the case and threatening to hold them in contempt of court if they failed to cooperate. The move was in “extremely poor taste” and “ill-conceived,” and could potentially affect officers’ relationship with the County Attorney’s Office, Kroll said.

“They need to figure out whose side they’re on — law enforcement should work collectively with city and county attorneys to prosecute criminals,” Kroll said."

and I am thinking the County Attorney is trying to prosecute a man who shot an innocent person yet the guy speaking is telling his union buddies to not do that. I guess if you wear a badge in that town following the laws and respecting rights are beneath you.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
High Power

Post by High Power »

catfish86 wrote:This excerpt from the Star Tribune article speaks volumes:

"Lt. Bob Kroll, president of the Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis, said that Freeman was subpoenaing dozens of officers who were only tangentially involved in the case and threatening to hold them in contempt of court if they failed to cooperate. The move was in “extremely poor taste” and “ill-conceived,” and could potentially affect officers’ relationship with the County Attorney’s Office, Kroll said.

“They need to figure out whose side they’re on — law enforcement should work collectively with city and county attorneys to prosecute criminals,” Kroll said."

and I am thinking the County Attorney is trying to prosecute a man who shot an innocent person yet the guy speaking is telling his union buddies to not do that. I guess if you wear a badge in that town following the laws and respecting rights are beneath you.
You got that right!

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

catfish86 wrote:This excerpt from the Star Tribune article speaks volumes:

That's unpossible!

Police and supporters regularly tell me that there's no reason not to talk to cops unless I have something to hide!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Update:

https://www.whio.com/news/national/pros ... 9mYn2JrGM/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Among the many interesting things in the article about the case, the bottom line supposedly boils down to this?
Bradford Colbert, a law professor at Mitchell Hamline School of Law in St. Paul, said that under law, Noor had a right to use deadly force to protect himself or others. For prosecutors, Colbert said, the preferred narrative would be that Damond was shot after merely appearing at the window. For the defense, it would be better if Damond slapped the car, creating the loud, startling noise.
High Power

Post by High Power »

From that same article:
Other witnesses said the squad car was partially dusted for fingerprints — but not entirely — then sent to be washed just hours after the shooting.
Tampering with evidence? You betcha! Or else why did Harrity mention the [alleged] slap on the car by Justine? If he knew that the car had been washed before he mentioned the [alleged] slap then there would be no way of verifying it. Afterall, a police officer would never lie or cover up for another officer.

Then there is this pesky little issue about the on-again and off-again body-cams. The only reason they would be turning the body cameras of would be to hide any misconduct. This sounds like SOP across the country.

Read this article and watch the video of how the LEOs are told to turn their body-cams off.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/sho ... -shooting/
drc

Post by drc »

he was found guilty

https://www.foxnews.com/us/former-minne ... alling-911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

drc wrote:he was found guilty

https://www.foxnews.com/us/former-minne ... alling-911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm sure Black Lies Matter doesn't know whether to crap or go blind.

For them the victim pyramid just turned into a Moebius loop.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

deanimator wrote:
drc wrote:he was found guilty

I'm sure Black Lies Matter doesn't know whether to crap or go blind.

For them the victim pyramid just turned into a Moebius loop.
IDK if these comments are specifically from BLM members or not, but in the MSM there's this: :roll:

https://www.whio.com/news/national/for- ... mjxbrXZQP/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's rare for police officers to be convicted after asserting they fired in a life-or-death situation, but some Minnesota community members said they saw it coming for Noor because he is Somali American.

"Officer Noor was going to jail no matter what because he's a black man who shot a white woman in the state of Minnesota," said John Thompson, an activist and friend of Philando Castile, a black man who was killed in 2016 by a Latino suburban police officer who was acquitted.

Alana Ramadan, an African American and Muslim who held a sign calling for the resignation of Hennepin County's head prosecutor, said the African American people she's spoken with knew Noor would be convicted.
The jury included 10 men and two women. Six of the jurors, including the two women, are people of color.
High Power

Post by High Power »

M-Quigley wrote:
The jury included 10 men and two women. Six of the jurors, including the two women, are people of color.
That still won't stop some segments of society from saying that he wasn't tried by a Jury of his peers because they weren't Muslim.

12.5 years is the presumptive sentence for 3rd degree murder. IMHO, it's not enough for him. He should have been charged with 1st degree murder. If it was anyone else besides a Somali Muslim police officer, they would have been charged with 1st degree murder.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Branca's take:

here.

They tried him on 2nd degree murder; it didn't work. So that is why he got charged with 3rd degree murder with 2nd degree manslaughter.

I think the jury got this one right because I cannot fathom how she could have been taken as an imminent threat.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cosmos »

The victim's family received a payout from the city: https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapolis- ... tally-shot

Note they negotiated $2 million of the $20 million payout to a "local foundation's fund aimed at addressing gun violence."
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Cosmos wrote:The victim's family received a payout from the city: https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapolis- ... tally-shot

Note they negotiated $2 million of the $20 million payout to a "local foundation's fund aimed at addressing gun violence."
$18,000,000 will buy a lot of cigarettes, and you can get anything done in prison for enough cigarettes...