Officer down civilian down .I have a problem..

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Officer down civilian down .I have a problem..

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I know this has been discussed many times here and on social media...

Some one explain to me why it is a heroic thing to help a officer that is about to be killed by someone and not very smart to help a civilian that is about to be killed by someone ?

I was brought up that all life is equal and deserve equal protection..sure we have the standard avoidance senerio and it's meaning....be a good witness while someone gets killed...none of our business, it will cost you a lot of money..

I see no difference.....someone about to be killed should expect help no matter who it is...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Officer down civilian down .I have a problem..

Post by Javelin Man »

We're supposed to understand the officer is the good guy in the situation and help him. With civilians, you may come into the situation halfway through and find the victim is finally fighting back enough to save his own life which might result in the BG losing his. You may not know enough of the situation to know who is who.

That's about the only reason I can see.

But you make a good point about saving the good guy no matter what. You just need to know who he/she is.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

So if it's the BG about to be killed, let's say in a street fight with no weapons, it's okay to not help in some way ?
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Some one explain to me why it is a heroic thing to help a officer that is about to be killed by someone
Umm...that's a subjective thing. One person might think it heroic...another might think it idiotic. Just sayin 8)
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

glocksmith wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:Some one explain to me why it is a heroic thing to help a officer that is about to be killed by someone
Umm...that's a subjective thing. One person might think it heroic...another might think it idiotic. Just sayin 8)

True...any moral person would call it a brave thing to do...I can't answer for anyone else....

My Son is a Leo so I am trying to understand someone not helping in any case with someone about to get killed....
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
glocksmith wrote:

True...any moral person would call it a brave thing to do...I can't answer for anyone else....
Morals are subjective too. :mrgreen:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

You can never know the full context of a situation unless you're involved from inception. With a uniformed official, you have more context than without.

No thanks.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Are we talking about using deadly force to "help" another? Since we are discussing this on a firearms forum I believe so. Since most of us would be armed any altercation we are involved in is an armed altercation. There is at least the potential for deadly force. Regardless of the moral issues, Ohio law really discourages citizens from helping one another in this context. Maybe that causes more harm than good, maybe not. I think our laws regarding defense of others could be improved.

"No good deed shall go unpunished"....(unknown)
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

WestonDon wrote:Are we talking about using deadly force to "help" another? Since we are discussing this on a firearms forum I believe so. Since most of us would be armed any altercation we are involved in is an armed altercation. There is at least the potential for deadly force. Regardless of the moral issues, Ohio law really discourages citizens from helping one another in this context. Maybe that causes more harm than good, maybe not. I think our laws regarding defense of others could be improved.

"No good deed shall go unpunished"....(unknown)
Unfortunately it's that damn liability thing that raises it's ugly head when it comes to protecting another citizen. It's little more clear when a LEO is under attack and you help out.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

You step into the shoes of the person you are helping. If he started the altercation, you lose.

It becomes less clear if the person you are helping started the altercation, but the victim then takes it to a higher level.

Unless you know for sure what is going on, the best thing to do is to be a good witness and call 911.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

carmen fovozzo wrote:So if it's the BG about to be killed, let's say in a street fight with no weapons, it's okay to not help in some way ?
If the BG is about to be killed, don't interfere! Karma will take care of the situation.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailyn ... -1.2585266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of many examples of why not to get involved. Sorry, but mine and me are the only ones I'm sticking my neck out for no matter the situation. A uniform could hedge the bet a bit, but I don't get paid to fight crime and the city isn't going to pay for any damages/lost wages/death that I go through to take care of my family.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I''v asked this question before. How would you be if someone was attacking your wife or kids ans no one helped ? Just stood by...we see this all the time..
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

jeep45238 wrote:One of many examples of why not to get involved. Sorry, but mine and me are the only ones I'm sticking my neck out for no matter the situation. A uniform could hedge the bet a bit, but I don't get paid to fight crime and the city isn't going to pay for any damages/lost wages/death that I go through to take care of my family.
Ditto to what jeep said. This ain't the Greatest Generation any more...where you are a hero if you sacrifice yourself for country or others. Self preservation is the Highest Law...which is to say I only care about me and mine.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

glocksmith wrote:
jeep45238 wrote:One of many examples of why not to get involved. Sorry, but mine and me are the only ones I'm sticking my neck out for no matter the situation. A uniform could hedge the bet a bit, but I don't get paid to fight crime and the city isn't going to pay for any damages/lost wages/death that I go through to take care of my family.
Ditto to what jeep said. This ain't the Greatest Generation any more...where you are a hero if you sacrifice yourself for country or others. Self preservation is the Highest Law...which is to say I only care about me and mine.

I I I....generation....right there is the problem..sure we take care of our family...so if it isn't you're family who cares .