Czech republic moves toward constitutional right to bear arm

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Czech republic moves toward constitutional right to bear arm

Post by Bruenor »

Nice to see there another country out there that gets it..
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/06 ... bear-arms/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The legislation was passed with 139 deputies agreeing to the amendment to the constitution with only nine deputies voting against. The amendment will now be considered by the Czech Senate where it will require a supermajority of three-fifths of the members in order to pass into law, Die Presse reports.

Similar to the U.S. second amendment to the Constitution, which gives Americans the right to keep and bear arms, the Czech legislation reads: “Citizens of the Czech Republic have the right to acquire, retain and bear arms and ammunition.”

The amendment also notes that the right is there to ensure the safety of the country, similar to the provision of a “well-regulated militia” in the American amendment.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Czech republic moves toward constitutional right to bear

Post by WY_Not »

Interesting article only complaint would be the "...Similar to the U.S. second amendment to the Constitution, which gives Americans the right to keep and bear arms, the Czech legislation reads: “Citizens of the Czech Republic have the right to acquire, retain and bear arms and ammunition.” line. Specifically the "...gives Americans..." part. The 2nd is not a grantor of anything; it is an acknowledgement and reminder of existing rights.

Here's wishing them the best of luck.
Bruenor wrote:Nice to see there another country out there that gets it..
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/06 ... bear-arms/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The legislation was passed with 139 deputies agreeing to the amendment to the constitution with only nine deputies voting against. The amendment will now be considered by the Czech Senate where it will require a supermajority of three-fifths of the members in order to pass into law, Die Presse reports.

Similar to the U.S. second amendment to the Constitution, which gives Americans the right to keep and bear arms, the Czech legislation reads: “Citizens of the Czech Republic have the right to acquire, retain and bear arms and ammunition.”

The amendment also notes that the right is there to ensure the safety of the country, similar to the provision of a “well-regulated militia” in the American amendment.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Well, they are on the right track here but I think they could use a little help from some crusty old RKBA advocates here in the good ol' US of A.

One thing they did right is to specify the right applied to citizens. But then those citizens still have to obtain a weapons permit. Therein lies the seeds of their own destruction. It looks like the Czech proposal contains some of the same flaws we have in our own 2A, which is why the 2A is constantly being challenged and litigated.

Of course my comments are all based on information in the posted article which may or may not be accurate.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

The permit may be a device to restrict immigrants and refugees (ie the jihadis and criminals among them). Notice that the article also touched on the EU immigration issues in addition to firearms restrictions.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

catfish86 wrote:The permit may be a device to restrict immigrants and refugees (ie the jihadis and criminals among them). Notice that the article also touched on the EU immigration issues in addition to firearms restrictions.
And the UN's Arms Trade Treaty that the EU signed onto, which is one of the reasons for the push for the amendment to their constitution, so they can't be forced to disarm. Interesting the several countries over there that are pushing back.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

The Czechs and Poles already have abundant first hand experience in what happens when you rely upon the western Europeans for your safety.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

deanimator wrote:The Czechs and Poles already have abundant first hand experience in what happens when you rely upon the western Europeans for your safety.
Can't say I blame them. As the headquarters of the so-called globalists, the EU is dangerous, and a threat to world peace. I used to think that Valdimir Putin and the Russian leadership were little more than tough-talking belligerents. Now I understand their positioning and I can even sympathize with them.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

glocksmith wrote:
deanimator wrote:The Czechs and Poles already have abundant first hand experience in what happens when you rely upon the western Europeans for your safety.
Can't say I blame them. As the headquarters of the so-called globalists, the EU is dangerous, and a threat to world peace. I used to think that Valdimir Putin and the Russian leadership were little more than tough-talking belligerents. Now I understand their positioning and I can even sympathize with them.
Especially with regard to immigration, the former Warsaw Pact members of the EU are in the same position as some suddenly reluctant members of Jim Jones' "People's Temple".

They don't want to drink the Kool-Aid...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

This thread was started 4 years ago.
Update 7/21/21

The right to bear arms in self-defense is embedded in the Czech constitution
The Senate, the upper house of Czech parliament, has approved the right to use arms to defend oneself and others.

Prague, July 21 (CTK) - The Senate, the upper house of Czech parliament, has approved the right to use arms to defend oneself and others under legal conditions to be embedded in the constitution as a reaction to the EU's pro-regulatory stance on firearms acquisition and possession.

This right was included in the Senate-proposed amendment to the Charter of Fundamental Rights and Freedoms, which is part of the constitution. Senators, therefore, passed the amendment as expected.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Is there any count of countries that have a right to bear and keep arms?
I am answering my own question: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_ ... _bear_arms

There were three with a Constitutional right. Now four. The others are Mexico and Guatemala but they are subject to regulations which render it an absurdity. That is a lesson we should be aware of when the left spouts about "reasonable regulation".

I saw a Colin Noir commentary where he made the point that, Yes, the arms of the day were muskets but that was what the military was also armed with. To truly follow that analogy we should continue to have the arms our military does. I want my M60.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

catfish86 wrote:Is there any count of countries that have a right to bear and keep arms?
I am answering my own question: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_ ... _bear_arms

There were three with a Constitutional right. Now four. The others are Mexico and Guatemala but they are subject to regulations which render it an absurdity. That is a lesson we should be aware of when the left spouts about "reasonable regulation".

I saw a Colin Noir commentary where he made the point that, Yes, the arms of the day were muskets but that was what the military was also armed with. To truly follow that analogy we should continue to have the arms our military does. I want my M60.
Can you afford the ammunition for an M60.

I used to say I'd like to be able to buy and keep a pet elephant. I didn't want a pet elephant I just wanted the money it and it's feed would cost.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
High Power

Post by High Power »

The Czechs probably remember the takeover of the Sudetenland, followed by the rest of their country in WWII. There are, no doubt, a lot of people still alive who can remember the Prague Spring of 1968.

Similar to our country, their "second amendment" was not drafted for hunting. They remember the brutal realities of the past like our forefathers remembered the terrors of British oppression.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein