Another Mistrial In Tensing Case

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JediSkipdogg

Re: Another Mistrial In Tensing Case

Post by JediSkipdogg »

M-Quigley wrote:
Mustang380gal wrote: No, it does not.

Whose stuff is going to be broken? Did the people whose stores are going to be looted and burned have anything to do with the case? Who is going to be hurt or killed? Did they have anything to do with it? Should they suffer loss because of this? Of course not!!

Reginald Denny had nothing to do with the idiot on PCP in LA, but his life was forever ruined.

In this case, violence would be utterly and completely wrong.
While I agree with your analogy about rioting, there are other kinds of violence that could occur, like the sniper in Dallas Texas for example. :(

I've got a question for the legal minds. What does it take for a defense attorney to get a decision to dismiss charges based on the 2 mistrials?

http://www.wlwt.com/article/ray-tensing ... s/10232136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would say a iudge to see that there is nothing new that can be added that would sway the jury. Ryan Wider is a good example in reverse. He kept asking for an appeal on stuff they weren't allowed to admit in to court. The just finally said stop trying, you had your day and lost, move along.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

M-Quigley wrote:
Mustang380gal wrote: No, it does not.

Whose stuff is going to be broken? Did the people whose stores are going to be looted and burned have anything to do with the case? Who is going to be hurt or killed? Did they have anything to do with it? Should they suffer loss because of this? Of course not!!

Reginald Denny had nothing to do with the idiot on PCP in LA, but his life was forever ruined.

In this case, violence would be utterly and completely wrong.
While I agree with your analogy about rioting, there are other kinds of violence that could occur, like the sniper in Dallas Texas for example. :(

I've got a question for the legal minds. What does it take for a defense attorney to get a decision to dismiss charges based on the 2 mistrials?

http://www.wlwt.com/article/ray-tensing ... s/10232136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This conversation is getting really close to advocating illegal acts. It needs to take a more wholesome turn.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

This story just came out. At first I thought it was a joke....

http://www.wcpo.com/news/state/state-ke ... hate-crime
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Mustang380gal wrote: This conversation is getting really close to advocating illegal acts. It needs to take a more wholesome turn.
Don't misunderstand me, I wasn't advocating anything. I agree with you on what you said about rioting. I was just pointing out that even if rioting doesn't occur (and I sure hope it doesn't) that doesn't mean that there aren't other potential negative things that could happen. It's a shame that there are nutcases out there, but unfortunately they are.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

In theory, when people feel as though the scales of justice are biased against them, they are tempted to behave in ways that are not constructive or helpful to society. This is simply human nature. Why keep playing the game by the rules if the rules are stacked against you?

I'm certainly not advocating looting and rioting, certainly not against retailers who have little to no input in the process that people are protesting. It isn't even just/justified if they chose targets that were more directly influencing the perceived injustice. It's just more understandable, more direct.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

So prosecutor Deters says he won't announce yea or nay on a third trial until "the week of July 10". I'm thinking he'll do the presser in a Hawaiian shirt from Greater Cincinnati Airport on Friday the 14th, minutes before stepping on a jet headed out on a vacation.

I guess things have been tough for him lately, and he has been a very pro-carry advocate, but he brought this mess down on himself with pandering and hyperbole.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I could never understand why people debate endlessly over this topic. I once attended a lecture by a well-known FBI profiler. He said something I'll never forget - "It doesn't matter what you believe. What matters is what THEY believe." Looking at it that way, it doesn't matter one bit whether or not BLM, or any potential rioters have a legitimate complaint...whether or not they are "right" or wrong"...or whether or not they are in touch with reality. The reality is, they're here and we've got to deal with them. It is a collective problem - my problem, your problem, and yes even the problem of those at-risk store owners everybody keeps bringing up. The Black Community in general and the BLM in particular sincerely believe the criminal justice system is not serving them, and they believe Tensing murdered Dubose. At some point closure will be needed. Deters and Co. can keep buying time and putting it off, but at some point the delays will, if they haven't already, become counterproductive. We're at what? Two years now?
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

bignflnut wrote:In theory, when people feel as though the scales of justice are biased against them, they are tempted to behave in ways that are not constructive or helpful to society. This is simply human nature. Why keep playing the game by the rules if the rules are stacked against you?
I don't doubt the truth of that statement at all. Part of the problem, as I see it, is that certain segments of society have been taught over multiple generations that the scales of justice are biased against them. In addition there an entire industry devoted to fostering that belief.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

M-Quigley wrote:I've got a question for the legal minds. What does it take for a defense attorney to get a decision to dismiss charges based on the 2 mistrials?

A judge who's not afraid of being blamed for riots. Good luck with that.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Werz wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:I've got a question for the legal minds. What does it take for a defense attorney to get a decision to dismiss charges based on the 2 mistrials?

And all this over one lousy cop. Not even a real cop mind you...but a campus cop...and a pretty second-rate one at that :roll:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Anybody listen to 700 WLW today, Bill Cunningham interviewing Prosecutor Joe Deters? And then later, when the angry sister of Sam Debose called in?

We got a bunch more to talk about in this thread now, don't we? Since the grand jury only agreed to indict Tensing on murder and voluntary manslaughter, and not the less serious charges, it got me wondering about their racial/gender make-up. I don't think that info is ever disclosed, typically.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Deters lost my respect with the Pacman Jones fiasco and him saying he was waiting to see what the NFL did to punish Jones. That's a cock of horse crap. If it would have been an average Joe, they'd have been charged and prosecuted no matter what their employer did to discipline them.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Werz wrote:

How many times can they try a person? I mean after a while it becomes a dead horse doesn't it?
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Bama.45 wrote:
Werz wrote:

How many times can they try a person? I mean after a while it becomes a dead horse doesn't it?
It's only against the law to beat live horses.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

I guess my main question is, how does keeping on trying a person back to back stay inside the constitutional confines of a speedy trial? I mean it's like Deters is going to keep on until he gets a jury that convicts Tensing. While I agree Tensing should pay for his actions, I don't agree with murder.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07