Another Mistrial In Tensing Case

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JediSkipdogg

Re: Another Mistrial In Tensing Case

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Bama.45 wrote:Deters lost my respect with the Pacman Jones fiasco and him saying he was waiting to see what the NFL did to punish Jones. That's a cock of horse crap. If it would have been an average Joe, they'd have been charged and prosecuted no matter what their employer did to discipline them.
That's quite normal in court cases. One I am most familiar with is police officers and LEADS violations. They generally won't go forward on a charge for misuse of LEADS if the agency terminates the officer in some fashion (firing or resignation.) This way the end game is the same (officer can't use LEADS anymore) and it saves the taxpayers money from a trial.
Bama.45 wrote:I guess my main question is, how does keeping on trying a person back to back stay inside the constitutional confines of a speedy trial? I mean it's like Deters is going to keep on until he gets a jury that convicts Tensing. While I agree Tensing should pay for his actions, I don't agree with murder.
Do people really think speedy trial exists? That is essentially one of the first things everyone waves. You ask for one continuance, even if it's discovery for the evidence to be used against you, and you waive your right to a speedy trial. Once waived, then it can go on forever.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Still, if Joe Smoe assualted a police officer, and spat on a nurse in jail. It wouldn't matter if Home Depot fired him. He'd be charged and prosecuted for the crimes. Especially if there was a pattern of violent behavior like Jones has...Deters let Jones off because of who he is and who he plays for period.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Bama.45 wrote:Deters let Jones off because of who he is and who he plays for period.
Welcome to Queen City politics :roll:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

schmieg wrote: It's only against the law to beat live horses.

And speaking of riots...
The video below shows throngs of anti-Trump, pro-immigration protestors bused into a protest on Eastern Avenue. Footage depicts protestors stepping off of unmarked buses and entering the site of the protest.

In the next video, after all the protestors are brought in, a female keynote speaker rails against President Trump, calling him “a monster.” While much of what she said about disappearing jobs and crumbling infrastructure as the result of globalization rings true, she fails to place the blame where it rightfully belongs: at the feet of the globalist svengalis.

SNIP

In the second half of the video, Casa De Maryland Inc., an entity funded directly by George Soros, then leads a march down the streets of Baltimore, actively disrespecting traffic ordinances and shutting down streets. For the record, there were no traffic marshals in this march,...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

"Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters won't announce this week if he'll seek a third trial against Ray Tensing. He may announce his decision next week, spokeswoman Julie Wilson said Wednesday. Two juries have deadlocked over the past eight months, resulting in two mistrials. Deters has until July 24 to decide. That's when Judge Leslie Ghiz scheduled the next hearing. Tensing's defense team filed a motion last month to acquit him of all charges."

Boy am I surprised (cough) :roll: Talk about "fanning the flames".

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/ham ... ti-officer
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Ray Tensing walks, at least on any state charges. Now the union can fight to get his job back and get him a monetary settlement for the time he was off. Or if they refuse to hire him back, some additional settlement I guess.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ray ... rd-n784111" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.wcpo.com/news/news-photo-gal ... g-decision" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a feeling that despite the hot weather, there won't be riots, just peaceful protest. (and no, I'm not prepared to back that up with a visit to over the Rhine either :roll: )
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

It's been 46 years since my high school government class, can the Ohio AG charge him and move the trial elsewhere??
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

dustymedic wrote:It's been 46 years since my high school government class, can the Ohio AG charge him and move the trial elsewhere??
Someone can tell me I'm wrong, but I don't think he can. I think the Ohio AG can only give legal advice to law enforcement and prosecutors. In terms of court cases, they can start civil cases but not criminal cases, and those are only ones against the state of Ohio.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

docachna wrote:
bignflnut wrote: Lets not assume that the juries are A) patriotic B) Intelligent C) Honest D) Immune from coersion
This is the part where you need a moral, educated culture to uphold your Republic.
I've watched videos of mock juries deliberating in mock trials, where they had been told that the parties had agreed to resolve their case with this jury, so they THOUGHT they were actually deciding the case, where actually, it was just a dry run to examine how juries actually do deliberate (these were civil cases, of course).

It made my blood run cold, listening to some of what I heard. You would be amazed at how some people approach it. And if that's how they're deciding whether to award money, what about deciding whether to take away somebody's liberty ????
I was on a (real) jury for a murder trial 40 years ago. You are right, it is scary. One of the first comments when we went into the jury room was "Let's get this over with, I want to watch the Red's game this afternoon".
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

OhioPaints wrote:I was on a (real) jury for a murder trial 40 years ago. You are right, it is scary. One of the first comments when we went into the jury room was "Let's get this over with, I want to watch the Red's game this afternoon".
LOL that would necessarily have been a long time ago...like 1975...because the Reds suck +++ these days and it's hard to believe anyone likes them that much (which would be scary).
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

M-Quigley wrote:Ray Tensing walks, at least on any state charges. Now the union can fight to get his job back and get him a monetary settlement for the time he was off. Or if they refuse to hire him back, some additional settlement I guess.
Well he just got his backpay and legal fees $344,000.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... paign=1490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As part of the settlement, the union said, Tensing has resigned and will not pursue any other claims against the university.
The University of Cincinnati agreed to pay more than $244,000 in back pay and benefits and $100,000 in legal fees, the two sides said.

'I realize this agreement will be difficult for our community,' university President Neville Pinto said.

'I am nevertheless hopeful that we can focus on supporting each other as members of the same Bearcat family - even, perhaps especially, if we don't agree.'

The university earlier reached a $5.3 million settlement with DuBose's family, including free undergraduate tuition for his 13 children.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

100 grand in legal fees? How is that possible? Did the FOP cover most of it or did his lawyer work pro bono?

Also, is Sheriff Richard K. Jones going to keep his promise to consider hiring him?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

M-Quigley wrote:100 grand in legal fees? How is that possible? Did the FOP cover most of it or did his lawyer work pro bono?

Also, is Sheriff Richard K. Jones going to keep his promise to consider hiring him?
He had tons of fundraisers so I'm sure that covered most of it.

Not sure on the Jones part, but I doubt he wants to work in law enforcement again. Most that end up in a case this large just want out and to hide.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

M-Quigley wrote:100 grand in legal fees? How is that possible? Did the FOP cover most of it or did his lawyer work pro bono?

Two trials, and it's not like the attorneys were working for free in the times leading up to them. This all dragged out 18 months or more, I lost track of how long.

And, Sheriff Jones says what he means, often to the chagrin of party leaders who have thought about drafting him to run for higher level offices. If Tending applied there, he'd be given fair, honest consideration.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.