Florida gov signs new self defense legislation

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Florida gov signs new self defense legislation

Post by M-Quigley »

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/337215 ... l-into-law" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just as twenty years ago, the Ohio legislature could take some lessons from Florida.
docachna

Re: Florida gov signs new self defense legislation

Post by docachna »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's been found unconstitutional:

http://thefederalistpapers.org/us/break ... ampaign=LC
Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Milton Hirsch ruled that lawmakers overstepped their authority in creating the law this year that forces prosecutors to disprove a defendant’s self-defense claim at a pre-trial hearing.

The judge ruled that under Florida’s constitution, that change should have been crafted by the Florida Supreme Court, not the Legislature.

Huh ???!?!?!?!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

since when does the judicial branch in any government have the authority to write laws?... That's like letting a bank robber design a banks security system.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Bama.45 wrote:since when does the judicial branch in any government have the authority to write laws?... That's like letting a bank robber design a banks security system.
They kinda do with case law all the time. Case law is really no different than legislatively voted on law. It simply gives a more thorough interpretation of the law, even if many would interpret the law differently.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Anybody know how many states ALREADY have this on the books?
Isn't it in the ORC?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

AlanM wrote:Anybody know how many states ALREADY have this on the books?
Isn't it in the ORC?
I'm not sure which part of the ORC you mean, but this is from the news link:
It will be an interesting case to watch. Other states have the same types of laws in place and they are working just fine. It may be the makeup of the constitution since they are different from state to state.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

AlanM wrote:Anybody know how many states ALREADY have this on the books?
Keep in mind, this is only about their most recent change to SYG, not SYG in general in FL law.

[quote="AlanM"Isn't it in the ORC?[/quote]
No, Ohio does not have SYG, nor does it have the provision that this judge ruled unconstitutional.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

docachna wrote:Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's been found unconstitutional:

http://thefederalistpapers.org/us/break ... ampaign=LC
Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Milton Hirsch ruled that lawmakers overstepped their authority in creating the law this year that forces prosecutors to disprove a defendant’s self-defense claim at a pre-trial hearing.

The judge ruled that under Florida’s constitution, that change should have been crafted by the Florida Supreme Court, not the Legislature.

Huh ???!?!?!?!
My non lawyer mind thinks maybe it is the pre-trial hearing part that is problematic.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:since when does the judicial branch in any government have the authority to write laws?... That's like letting a bank robber design a banks security system.
They kinda do with case law all the time. Case law is really no different than legislatively voted on law. It simply gives a more thorough interpretation of the law, even if many would interpret the law differently.

Right, but interpretation is different than making the law. I know there are some judges that grasp at straws to back their interpretation. But I have always looked at case law as how a law has been interpreted in the past in similar cases. Not judges writing law from the bench.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Without having read the case, I would assume that the judge is objecting to the placing the burden of proof on the prosecutor as opposed to the Defendant. Unless Florida's constitution has some really strange wording, methinks he is grasping at straws. If his decision is upheld, it might be curable by changing the wording of the statute to eliminate reference to burden of proof and referring to a presumption of self defense, again, assuming that is the way the statute was worded.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Bama.45 wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:

Right, but interpretation is different than making the law. I know there are some judges that grasp at straws to back their interpretation. But I have always looked at case law as how a law has been interpreted in the past in similar cases. Not judges writing law from the bench.
How is it not law? Sure, it's more likely to be brought up in court, but police (and therefore the public) are expected to know and follow it as well. There are many laws on the books that the courts have ruled as unconstitutional yet are still on the books. If police enforce them, it's a pretty easy loss for them.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.