Brookpark - concealed weapons charge for open carry of knife

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Brookpark - concealed weapons charge for open carry of knife

Post by Bruenor »

Curious how large his fixed blade knife was.. didn't seem to matter it wasn't concealed and that he was doing nothing wrong.
http://www.cleveland.com/brook-park/ind ... _from.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carrying a concealed weapon, Snow Road: A Cleveland man, 45, was arrested at about 4:30 p.m. May 25 after police found him carrying a knife in a sheath outside Subway, 15007 Snow.

Police had been called to Solid Gold Lounge, which is next to Subway, about a woman sleeping in a pickup truck. As it turned out, the woman was tired but not too intoxicated. As officers left the bar property, they saw the man smoking near a side door to Subway. His knife was visible.
Looks like Brookpark has the 2.5" blade limit. I'm sure arbitrary length limit makes a knife much safer.
549.10 SWITCHBLADE KNIVES; BLADES EXCEEDING TWO AND ONE- HALF INCHES.
(a) No person shall have in his possession or under his control a knife having a blade two and one-half inches in length or longer. However, this section shall not apply to any person if it appears that he was at the time engaged in a lawful business calling, employment or occupation, or that the circumstances in which he was placed justified a prudent man in possessing such a weapon for the defense of his person, family or property.
(b) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Brookpark - concealed weapons charge for open carry of k

Post by bignflnut »

Defining concealed must be an interesting exercise...if there's just a sheath and a handle....is that concealed?
Does any of this apply to firearms? If only the grip is exposed, is it no longer open carry (I guess a magnet stuck to the belt buckle and the barrel?)
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

bignflnut wrote:Defining concealed must be an interesting exercise...if there's just a sheath and a handle....is that concealed?
No. At least, not according to an Ohio Supreme Court ruling where, when asked to define concealed, ruled that if it was discernible to normal observation that it was not concealed (I don't have the citation handy, so I may not have the wording exact.)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Wasn't it Cleveland a few years back that charged the guy for carrying a concealed weapon for having his gun in an openly worn flap holster?
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

schmieg wrote:Wasn't it Cleveland a few years back that charged the guy for carrying a concealed weapon for having his gun in an openly worn flap holster?
That was early on after CHLs were created in 2004, and maybe in a Cleveland suburb. Definitely Cuyahoga County.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:
schmieg wrote:Wasn't it Cleveland a few years back that charged the guy for carrying a concealed weapon for having his gun in an openly worn flap holster?
That was early on after CHLs were created in 2004, and maybe in a Cleveland suburb. Definitely Cuyahoga County.
And, as I recall, he didn't fight it, but took a deal reducing it.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Maybe there's more to this Brookpark story. It does point out the fact that we could use state preemption on local "weapons" laws, like we have with firearms. Maybe form a grassroots advocacy group, call it Ohio Knife Rights Association. Yep, OKRA. :lol:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Remember, this is being reported by the Cleveland news media, and in particular cleveland.com. Their police blotters are frequently inaccurate and often incomplete. BPPD may have reported that they charged the guy with "SWITCHBLADE KNIVES; BLADES EXCEEDING TWO AND ONE- HALF INCHES" and the millennial contractor ("special" in news parlance) working the police beat blog said to himself "oh, that's that concealed weapons thingy. I'll just shorten that up."

Another possibility is that he was charged with CCW because while his knife was initially visible he caused it to become concealed at some point during the encounter. Without seeing the actual report we just don't know for sure.
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

The way I read it, visible vs. concealed is not part of the ordinance. It is just possession.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.