Why RKBA is necessary

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Why RKBA is necessary

Post by bignflnut »

Remember that old idea that a government can become tyrannical, and instead of securing/safeguarding the Rights of citizens, it becomes abusive to those Rights? Remember when the Bill of Rights that restricted the powers of the federal government? Enter the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (RKBA). A freedom-loving, jealous of their liberty, armed populace, the theory went, would never allow their Rights to be undermined by the local governments.

This isn't a federal event, but a Georgia event.

Here's the Georgia Constitution:
Paragraph VIII. Arms, right to keep and bear.
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed ,but the General Assembly shall
have power to prescribe the manner in which arms may be borne

Paragraph XIII. Searches, seizures, and warrants.
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects
against unreasonable searches and seizures shall not be violated; and no warrant shall issue except upon probable cause supported by oath or affirmation particularly describing the place or places to be searched and the persons or things to be seized.
So...2A and 4A
General warrants=illegal use of government power. RKBA= check on general warrants...BUT...we all know that schools are CPZs...enter this story:
Students at Worth County High School in Sylvester, Georgia, have filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against their country sheriff after he ordered what the complaint describes as a schoolwide drug sweep involving pat-down searches of hundreds of teenagers.

On April 14, Sheriff Jeff Hobby and dozens of deputies came to Worth County High School searching for students in possession of illicit substances. According to the students' legal complaint, they proceeded to go to every classroom and physically search nearly every student present for drugs. The deputies, the lawsuit alleges, used "pat down" searches, with some deputies touching female students' breasts and male students' genitalia.
When costumed officials, even the "countRy sheriff" can pat down hundreds of teenagers, and the response is a federal lawsuit, as opposed to a large and resounding "AW H*** NAH", backed up by a physical barrier...

Oprah-fication complete.

Q.How was school today, teenager?
A. Aw, got felt up by the sheriff's deputy, so did everyone else in my class, the class graduating before me and the class graduating after me...no big deal...
Maybe next year they'll do full cavity searches on all of us, ya think?

Swing and a miss on RKBA and illegal search and seizure.
Anyone seen Lee Greenwood?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Why RKBA is necessary

Post by WY_Not »

Good for them. Here's hoping they win and win big. Unless you have a valid warrant, you don't touch my child. I don't care if school officials are present or not.

WTH? School wasn't allowed to join them on the suit? Why wasn't the school named in the suit WITH the LEOs? They allowed them on to school property. They allowed them to proceed with their obscene abuse of power.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

the sheriff's office told school officials they suspected 13 students of possessing drugs in setting up the search.
Why search EVERYONE if only 13 are suspected ?
the school district did not authorize the pat-downs of the students, adding that school officials lacked the legal authority to challenge the sheriff's actions. "Sheriffs in Georgia have pretty broad authority," Coleman said. "That authority doesn't end at the schoolhouse door."
So the school doesn't have the right to even question the sheriff's actions ? wow.. I might have accidentally initiated the automated calling system and had the parents descend on the school en masse if I were there.
Hobby's search included an information blackout while it was going on. The students were required to surrender their cellphones
Parents were not warned of the search, which lasted four hours, nor were they allowed to contact their children while it was going on.
The parents and students involved with the lawsuit vow to press their case until Hobby is removed from office. "We really want Sheriff Hobby gone,"
Best of luck to them. Hope they succeed.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
someguy

Post by someguy »

Sheriff should be strip searched on live tv. Just because he was also in proximity to the 13 original suspects
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

9 times

A hundred

= 900

That's how many students were "searched" (you say "pat-down", I say "grope", I suppose the difference is if your an aging comedian or a badge wearing official) by 40 people claiming legal justification over a multi-hour ordeal...Trying to find drugs on a dozen people and you "search" more than 50 times that many people?

The details sound like a crime...but this is simply a civil suit.

Perhaps the attempted civil wrist slap will land, but shouldn't there be criminal repercussions?

Free? Brave? Hero? Drug War? Rights? Do these words have meaning any longer?

Is someone going to blame the 900 minors for their plight? (I'm sure they all had it coming, or recently smoked pot.) Sounds like you've got 900 highly compliant minors who are willing to be touched involuntarily. #Education
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798