difference between assault rifle and assault weapon

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

difference between assault rifle and assault weapon

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/national/assau ... 2rLn3bOGK/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why a member of the MSM considers this news I don't know, but at least they admit they know the difference. I doubt it's going to stop them from using the term any time it fits an agenda. :(
What is an "assault weapon?"

Technically, there is no such thing. What’s called an assault weapon (or sometimes an assault rifle) in reports on gun violence is a semi-automatic rifle that looks similar to the assault rifles used by the military.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: difference between assault rifle and assault weapon

Post by JimE »

IIRC, "assault rifle" refers to rifle sized intermediate caliber firearm capable of semi-auto and automatic fire. The German Stg-43 & 44 would have been the grandpa's followed by the AK47 and others.
"Assault Weapon" is a term , I believe started by the media,politicians and anti-gun tyrants (Josh Sugerman of VPC comes to mind) to confuse the non-shooting folks.
It is generally used to cover all types of firearms. Pistol caliber firearms like the old Mac 11's and Uzi carbines were favorite targets, along with just about any hi-cap semi auto pistol.
I once had a geriatric school teacher spouting off about someone shooting a "Uzi" at a local range.....it was me, running bowling pins with a Browning Hi-Power.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Yeah, but don't forget that some gun makers, distributors, and even stores used the term to sell products when legislation was pending.

"Get these assault weapons from us NOW before they are BANNED FOREVER!!".
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

Brian D. wrote:Yeah, but don't forget that some gun makers, distributors, and even stores used the term to sell products when legislation was pending.

"Get these assault weapons from us NOW before they are BANNED FOREVER!!".
And it bit us all in the butt.

I believe Webster's dictionary had the correct definition, but Sugerman (and others) used the marketing hype to help spread mis-information and fear.
Sugerman also refers to bolt action varmint rifles as "intermediate sniper rifles", in an attempt to restrict hunting rifles.
Now Ar's & AK's are called "Modern Sporting Rifles" and things like the Sig MPX & CZ Scorpion are "Personal Defense Weapons". Some LE agencies are now calling their
M4's a "PDW".
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

The difference between an "assault" rifle and an "assault weapon" is the difference between a zebra in a zoo and a sideshow "unicorn".

One is real. The other is made up by grifters.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.