Jailers have negligent discharge in a hospital

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Jailers have negligent discharge in a hospital

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.kxii.com/content/news/Fannin ... 54674.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Fannin County jailer was guarding a pregnant inmate at Wilson N. Jones who was in labor.

Just before 7 a.m., the sheriff said that guard switched shifts with another guard who was unarmed and that's when the shot was fired.

"The guard exchanged the weapon, took it out of the holster, and supposedly cleared the gun, pulled the clip out of it and handed it over and during that time it went off," Fannin County Sheriff Mark Johnson said.

The sheriff said the gun accidentally discharged. Where that bullet went is still unknown.

It happened on a floor packed with families, newborns, visitors and workers, but no one was hit.

"I'm sure everybody was kind of freaked out at the time, you don't really hear that happening too much, especially by an officer who is in control of the weapon," Preston Fusclier said.

Preston Fusclier has a family member at Wilson N. Jones right now. He said an accident like this is should never happen, especially in a hospital.

"I think what it comes down to is gun safety, I don't know if it maybe wasn't on safety when he handed his pistol over, but just thankfully nobody got hurt," Fusclier said.

The sheriff said he's now looking into how the shot was fired and the way the gun was exchanged. He wants to make sure this never happens again.

"Be sure everything was done properly if it truly was just an accident or if it was some type of careless mistake, I hope that's not the case and I don't know that it is, but we're gonna be looking at that," Johnson said.
calvin56

Re: Jailers have negligent discharge in a hospital

Post by calvin56 »

Both guards should have had their own weapon. Making an exchange was stupid, especially with half trained lug nuts. A classic example of clearing the weapon in the wrong order then violating 2 of the 4 rules. Since it is obvious that the sheriff needs training along with at least 2 jailers I would say mandatory training for the whole department is in order.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I've told this story before but it bears repeating.
The gun club I joined just after moving here to Charlottesville in '11 has been the training facility for several law enforcement agencies in the area but a couple years ago they were given their walking papers.

EDIT: Note these agencies were NOT being charged to use the indoor and outdoor ranges and club members were excluded during their training times. All they were asked to do was clean up after themselves.

The club BOD had become tired of having to get the indoor range and clubhouse walls, ceilings, and roof repaired due to bullet holes.
Just a week after the last incident when a 9mm bullet passed through a wall and into one of the restrooms there was an ND at the C'ville cop shop while a training officer was observing.

Basically too many people get the first two steps of clearing a firearm backwards.
1. Remove magazine.
2. Cycle the slide to eject the round in chamber.
3. Point gun in a safe direction (preferably into a clearing barrel full of sand).
4. Pull trigger to drop the hammer.

IF steps 1 and 2 are reversed and 3 isn't followed then 4 results in a loud BANG! and if luck holds the damage is limited to some property damage and dirty shorts.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Why were they clearing the firearm anyway? If he was giving it to his replacement, why did that replacement need a cleared firearm? I guess maybe there's a procedure when handing a firearm to someone else, but in this case - when giving it to your replacement who will need to re-load it right away - it seems to just be unnecessary gun handling.

Second question, for Alan - You gave the steps for clearing a firearm. Why does that involve pulling the trigger? If you're taking it down, sure, but if you're just clearing it to make it safe? I'd have thought step 3 would be something like "lock the slide back". I'm not challenging you, just wondering if that's what you meant and, if so, the thinking behind it.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

It reminds me of a moment in "The Life Aquatic ":

"Do the interns get Glocks?"

"They share one."
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:Why were they clearing the firearm anyway? If he was giving it to his replacement, why did that replacement need a cleared firearm? I guess maybe there's a procedure when handing a firearm to someone else, but in this case - when giving it to your replacement who will need to re-load it right away - it seems to just be unnecessary gun handling.

Second question, for Alan - You gave the steps for clearing a firearm. Why does that involve pulling the trigger? If you're taking it down, sure, but if you're just clearing it to make it safe? I'd have thought step 3 would be something like "lock the slide back". I'm not challenging you, just wondering if that's what you meant and, if so, the thinking behind it.
I read somewhere that when changing shifts they have to unload the handgun in order to count the rounds. If any are missing, a report needs to be filed. What they do if they need the gun while they're doing All of this I don't know.
Face

Post by Face »

It sound like something from a comedy.

Amazed they have more than one shell :)
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:Why were they clearing the firearm anyway? If he was giving it to his replacement, why did that replacement need a cleared firearm? I guess maybe there's a procedure when handing a firearm to someone else, but in this case - when giving it to your replacement who will need to re-load it right away - it seems to just be unnecessary gun handling.

Alan's description is (was, anyway) standard military clearing procedure. The troop would retain the weapon and reholster it following the clearing procedure.

I recall serving as Payroll Officer over in Germany and going through this. The officer behind me reversed the order of clearing the chamber and dropping the mag, followed by a loud bang as sand flew from the 50 gallon drum. This was followed by a SSG giving a 1LT a dressing down and a lesson in safety procedure. I was sure glad I knew the proper order, listening to that Staff Sergeant rip into the Lieutenant. Not a single officer objected to the Sergeant's treatment of him either.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I have a friend who was severely wounded in Vietnam because one of the guys in his squad reversed steps one and two and totally ignored step three.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

M-Quigley wrote:
I read somewhere that when changing shifts they have to unload the handgun in order to count the rounds. If any are missing, a report needs to be filed. What they do if they need the gun while they're doing All of this I don't know.
A friend works armed security at a federal courthouse. There are only enough guns for the guards on shift. Every shift change they have to unload and count and sign a log for every bullet including the ones in spare mags. They do this one pair at a time do there are always armed guards on duty. They have 40 cal S&W M&Ps.
I pointed out that this was getting a lot of unnecessary wear on the ammo. Chewed up rims, scraped up cases, possible setback of the bullet. He agreed and said he honestly would question if the ammo would be reliable if they needed it.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

evan price wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:
A friend works armed security at a federal courthouse. There are only enough guns for the guards on shift. Every shift change they have to unload and count and sign a log for every bullet including the ones in spare mags. They do this one pair at a time do there are always armed guards on duty. They have 40 cal S&W M&Ps.
I pointed out that this was getting a lot of unnecessary wear on the ammo. Chewed up rims, scraped up cases, possible setback of the bullet. He agreed and said he honestly would question if the ammo would be reliable if they needed it.
That's what happens when bean counters take over operational control.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

What if they were issued S&W .45 revolvers with full moon clips? There would be less rounds to count. :roll:
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

The cost of buying each guard his own weapon and ammo would be significantly less than the cost of settling one lawsuit if someone is injured.
-- Mike

OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

evan price wrote:
M-Quigley wrote: A friend works armed security at a federal courthouse. There are only enough guns for the guards on shift. Every shift change they have to unload and count and sign a log for every bullet including the ones in spare mags. They do this one pair at a time do there are always armed guards on duty. They have 40 cal S&W M&Ps.
Absolutely scary! Hopefully they never fire those rounds, even for practice.

There is (was?) a documented report on "The Gun Zone" where they had a Kaboom with 40SW factory ammo on the range. The officer started investigating and measuring and found significant setback on some factory rounds that had been rechambered only 3 or 4 times. 180gr 40SW is especially at risk because of the very minimal case space left with the deep seated bullet.