Gun Lobby uses term 'Suppressor' to confuse anti's

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Gun Lobby uses term 'Suppressor' to confuse anti's

Post by Bruenor »

That's the proper term.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... onfuse-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gun control proponent Shannon Watts, founder of the Michael Bloomberg-funded Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, claims the “gun lobby” is using the term “suppressor” instead of “silencer” as a way to confuse members of her group.
“It’s all semantics. Focusing on the name distracts people from the real conversation,” Watts said. “They did the same thing with the debate over whether to use the term ‘assault rifles’ or ‘semiautomatic rifles,’ and then the whole conversation shifted to ‘What are we going to call these things?'”

“They want to get into semantics about the language, so we don’t talk about how dangerous they are.”
Hasn't everyone over there at MDA quit yet ?
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
glocksmith

Re: Gun Lobby uses term 'Suppressor' to confuse anti's

Post by glocksmith »

We pulled the same trick on them by calling them "magazines"...when everyone knows they're really "clips". :D
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

That is ironic because I think the truth is that the antis use the word "silencer" because it is deceptive and sounds more sinister. Whenever you talk politics you are talking persuasion and semantics is actually critical. There are legitimate and illegitimate uses. When one uses semantics in a deceptive way in order to win your argument...ie using the word silencer for something that is actually still very loud...then you have an illegitimate use. When you use a word that accurately describes the topic to win your argument...that is legitimate and you either counter on the merits or distract and deceive.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

The funny thing is it was the antis that came up with the term "assault weapon" knowing full well that the ignorant would take it to mean something that it isn't.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

I use "folding stock" instead of "shoulder thing that goes up" to confuse them.

Of course I think it's sort of redundant, like trying to coax Hillary Clinton into blaming everyone else for her being the worst presidential candidate since David Duke...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.