OFCC member in the news r/t proposed changes in the law

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

OFCC member in the news r/t proposed changes in the law

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/local/lawmaker ... 7H1OI6glK/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gun-rights supporters are pushing for the right to carry concealed weapons in more places in Ohio, eliminate the requirement that people tell cops who stop them that they have a firearm and no longer require someone to retreat from a threat before using a gun.

Eight gun bills pending in the Ohio General Assembly seek to expand gun rights.

Nearly 40 lawmakers are signed on as sponsors of a “stand your ground” bill that would remove the duty to retreat from a threat. House Bill 228 would re-work Ohio’s self-defense laws and reduce requirements faced by CCW holders, such as keeping their hands in plain sight during traffic stops.

“This would be a huge threat to public safety and peace of mind, particularly for men of color who are often impacted by these kinds of stand your ground laws,” said Jennifer Thorne, executive director of Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence. Thorne argues that a stand your ground law would embolden people to embark on vigilante justice and shoot first, ask questions later.

Meanwhile, Ohioans for Concealed Carry spokesman Jim Irvine bristles at calling it “stand your ground” legislation. “Some people may call it that. It’s an inappropriate label,” he said.

Ohioans have the right to fight a threat in their home or car but elsewhere they face a legal duty to retreat, if possible. Irvine said the vast majority of people won’t use deadly force. “It goes against our grain and against who we are.”
Brian D.

Re: OFCC member in the news r/t proposed changes in the law

Post by Brian D. »

Jim Irvine is a spokesperson for Buckeye Firearms Association, not OFCC. Way to go channel 7 reporter chick.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Brian D. wrote:Jim Irvine is a spokesperson for Buckeye Firearms Association, not OFCC. Way to go channel 7 reporter chick.

I guess that's one way to get our name in the news. BFA is probably threatening a retype now. :lol:
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

At some level, we are all in the same fight on the same side.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Mr. Glock wrote:At some level, we are all in the same fight on the same side.
Ummmmm....I'll remain silent. We should be on the same side.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Mr. Glock wrote:At some level, we are all in the same fight on the same side.
Ummmmm....I'll remain silent. We should be on the same side.
Some folks adhere to the maxim, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Others seem to have been reading Schlock Mercenary (An excellent web comic) and follow Maxim #29 of the handbook from that comic, "The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries", to wit, "The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. Nothing more. Nothing less."

While (as an owner of that fine handbook) I usually choose the latter, in this case I would go with the former, bury whatever hatchet exists between our groups and move forward.
MyWifeSaidYes
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:Jim Irvine is a spokesperson for Buckeye Firearms Association, not OFCC. Way to go channel 7 reporter chick.
Sorry, but she's a member of the MSM, and it's not politically correct to challenge anything they say. Mr. Irvine is just going to have to join OFCC. :roll:
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote: bury whatever hatchet exists between our groups and move forward.
Seems unlikely when all of the old hatchets are "not to be discussed" and new/current hatchets are being wielded.

Fine idea. Doubt it will ever happen.

It also occurs to me that while some of their successes may appear aligned with ours... they may actually not be... and also seems that their wants differ from ours and derail ours.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

We are the grass roots guys who fight for rights.
They are the marketers
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Have you visited the BFA Forum lately! Yeah, what Forum you may say!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Every couple years I reach out to them, then they get mad when I call them on something and in a couple years I reach out to them again.
Last time they got mad was when their guy went on NRA news and took credit for our lawsuits against Cleveland.
That was a couple years ago and I reached out again recently, so we're on a good swing right now.
But we have things like this, and the BFA article they sent out by Jim Irvine, saying that HB 142 is a decriminalization of violating CPZs.
We all know that HB 142 is repealing notification. https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/house-c ... themselves" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's hard to work with
Frankly, I don't want him/them trying to negotiate a compromise with LEO groups on our notification repeal.
If we're all on the same side, then they should be no compromise too.
Notification is a bad law and needs to go, period.

They're marketers, salesmen
They're big on all the insurance and raffles and fund raising and everything and what do you get?
A law that says that your township hall can allow firearms in the building, but if they do, they must still post a sign that says guns are prohibited

The result sucked, but they marketed it anyway
Did any of you get emails about the new law and asking for donations from them?
I did.

We are more worried about quality in legislation than in success in marketing
That's why we're not as well known I guess
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

We would all be better off in Ohio if people in both organisations would have the maturity to swallow some pride and work together. The conflict between the two is ridiculously childish.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

I want to vote for the board of directors for OFCC or perhaps become one myself. How can I do that?
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

sd790 wrote:I want to vote for the board of directors for OFCC or perhaps become one myself. How can I do that?
This might be instructional:

http://ohioccw.org/images/Bylaws2016.pdf

Also, do a search for a thread I started back in October 2016 called "OFCC Bylaws". You might not like the content, but it will be instructional.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

sd790 wrote:I want to vote for the board of directors for OFCC or perhaps become one myself. How can I do that?
Being a coordinator is much easier. You just have to get uber friendly with the current batch and be invited in.