active shooter situation reported in Kirkersville Ohio

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

nurkvinny

Re: active shooter situation reported in Kirkersville Ohio

Post by nurkvinny »

This situation had my kid's school on lockdown and myself far past anxious. Friends work at the school. This happened as buses were arriving. A LOT of scenarios cross your mind when you hear school is locked down because of an active shooter (initial reports said nothing of a nursing home).

Today's reports are they pulled 60+ guns from his residence. Not a problem of course, unless you're barred from owning them like he was. Rest in Pain.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

nurkvinny wrote:This situation had my kid's school on lockdown and myself far past anxious. Friends work at the school. This happened as buses were arriving. A LOT of scenarios cross your mind when you hear school is locked down because of an active shooter (initial reports said nothing of a nursing home).

Today's reports are they pulled 60+ guns from his residence. Not a problem of course, unless you're barred from owning them like he was. Rest in Pain.
Yet he shot all three victims with a single shotgun, probably the most common firearm in the entire world. (one victim was additionally shot with a handgun) It's almost impossible to stop someone with criminal intent from illegally obtaining guns. Despite the number of guns a mass murderer might have at home they still only have two hands, and can usually only shoot one at a time accurately. Whenever I hear about how this mass killer had X number of guns somewhere, the important fact is how many guns did the innocent law abiding victims have? The answer is almost always the same, zero. :(
GlockMan27

Post by GlockMan27 »

My understanding is he lived with or was staying with his parents. The firearms could have been his father's and stored in a safe and he had no access. He could have obtained the shotgun and handgun he used on his own. Just saying that the news reports it in a way that leads one to believe the 64 firearms in question were his. Couldn't the firearms be confiscated, at least for now, even if they belonged to his father?
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

In the interview posted on 10TV, the father offered the answer straight away that when his son first lost firearms privelges, he bought all his guns from him. In the same interview the father said he was aware of the shotgun and he told Hartless that he wasn't allowed and the reply he got was that he was just gonna flip it for a profit.

The father seemed to have a lot to say... none of it good.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/crime--law/kir ... n4dhE4iAN/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The man responsible for the shooting deaths of his ex-girlfriend, her co-worker and the Kirkersville police chief at a nursing home should not have been released early from jail.
The Licking County Probation Department director in Newark released a report today regarding its handling of Thomas Hartless’ case, our news partner 10TV.com (WBNS) in Columbus reported.
As Gibbs on NCIS tv show would say, "Ya think?" :roll:
Saad also noted that the additional domestic violence charges in January and March were violations of his pretrial probation supervision for the December 2016 offence, but that no actions were taken, the Advocate reported. A probation officer added a condition that Hartless not possess weapons, but no one visited his home to make sure he didn't have them, according to the newspaper.
On WHIO tv news, some woman who works with an agency that helps domestic violence victims in Dayton was claiming that getting a protection order is ineffective and can make things worse for the victim, as it might upset the abuser, and the best thing is for the victim to do is move away and hide. :(

As far a protection order being useless, I don't believe that's entirely true. Yes, she is correct in that if the alleged abuser wants to harm the victim he will merely ignore it. There are documented self defense cases however where the fact that there was a protection order was a factor in the investigation, so it might possibly help the victim to defend herself in the legal arena. Not obtaining one was allegedly mentioned in court by a prosecutor as alleged evidence of her guilt, as she obviously wasn't afraid enough of her ex to be bothered to get a protection order and call the police to let them handle it. (like the police could've gotten there in time even if she would've had one) :roll:
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

M-Quigley wrote:
On WHIO tv news, some woman who works with an agency that helps domestic violence victims in Dayton was claiming that getting a protection order is ineffective and can make things worse for the victim, as it might upset the abuser, and the best thing is for the victim to do is move away and hide. :(
What horse puckey that is!! I volunteered at a battered women's shelter. Long before you could get information with a short computer search. The angriest most determined ex-husbands/boyfriends could ALWAYS find "their woman". They'd follow people, sweet talk or threaten friends and relatives, whatever it took.

I met more than a few of those guys in a year or two. Time bombs or out and out monsters.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.