Homeowner defends self against drive by shooting

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Homeowner defends self against drive by shooting

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.click2houston.com/news/1-dea ... th-houston" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://abc13.com/news/homeowner-shoots- ... 2/1960774/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Two people are dead and one is in the hospital after a homeowner fired back during a shooting in North Houston.

Investigators say early Saturday morning a suspect vehicle drove up to the homeowner's house on Glenburnie Drive and started shooting.

The homeowner was outside at the time and he hid behind a bush in the yard and returned fire. Officers say more than 40 shots were fired in the exchange.

The homeowner struck all three men inside of the car. The driver of the car crashed after the shooting hitting a car and then running into a yard. One suspect died at the scene. The other two fled on foot but didn't make it far. They went to the hospital. One of the suspects died at the hospital. The other suspect underwent surgery for his gunshot wounds. Detectives did not have an update on his current condition.

Miraculously, the homeowner was not struck by the gunfire. He was taken to the police station for questions. He has not been charged. Preliminary officers said it appeared to be self-defense.

On Friday, the day before the shooting, officers said arson investigators were called to the same home after someone attempted to set the home on fire. Officers believe the home was targeted based on both of those incidents.
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Homeowner defends self against drive by shooting

Post by Gramps »

Sounds to me the bad guys were ambushed............ To bad for them :)
Hope it works out ok for the homeowner with the prosecutor.
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Many years ago in FidoNet (I believe) somebody posted about an incident that happened in his home state (Arizona or New Mexico).

A car full of Hispanic gangbangers drove into an Hispanic neighborhood and did a drive-by on somebody's house. As I recall, the home owner wasn't involved in any nefarious activity, but might have previously been a witness or victim.

Unfortunately for the gang members, nobody did a leader's recon prior to the operation.

It seems that the street on which their target was located ended in a cul de sac.

They managed to shoot up the house going in, unscathed.

However, they had to go to the end of the block and turn around... by which time, the entire neighborhood was alert to their presence. The return trip was a reinactment of the final twenty minutes of the movie "Gauntlet". They had however neglected to armor their vehicle.

As the story goes, the neighbors came out with everything from AR-15s to .30-30 Winchesters. The car was turned into a sieve... along with its occupants. At some point, the car caught fire.

Curiously, nobody called police or firefighters until the car had burned out completely, resting on the rims after the tires melted.

There were no more drive-bys in that neighborhood.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Gramps wrote:Sounds to me the bad guys were ambushed............ To bad for them :)

Decades ago someone allegedly representing the family of an armed robber claimed the local police were "lying in wait" and "ambushed" the deceased because he had robbed the same place twice, same day of week and time of day, so the detectives waited in the back room and in a van in the back lot in case he was stupid enough to do it a 3rd time. (he was)

Considering someone had attempted arson the day before, it sounds to me like the homeowner was merely expecting more trouble, and just guarding himself and whoever might've been inside the house. (quite successfully from the sound of it) It's not likely the criminals told him in advance that we're going to do a drive by at this particular day and time. Of course this suspicion is only preliminary, with the limited information reported.
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

M-Quigley wrote:
Gramps wrote:Sounds to me the bad guys were ambushed............ To bad for them :)

Decades ago someone allegedly representing the family of an armed robber claimed the local police were "lying in wait" and "ambushed" the deceased because he had robbed the same place twice, same day of week and time of day, so the detectives waited in the back room and in a van in the back lot in case he was stupid enough to do it a 3rd time. (he was)

Considering someone had attempted arson the day before, it sounds to me like the homeowner was merely expecting more trouble, and just guarding himself and whoever might've been inside the house. (quite successfully from the sound of it) It's not likely the criminals told him in advance that we're going to do a drive by at this particular day and time. Of course this suspicion is only preliminary, with the limited information reported.
Plausible at least and probable more than likely but because he was hiding in wait outside of his home I would think a prosecutor may have a case. Hope not though.
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

M-Quigley wrote:

Plausible at least and probable more than likely but because he was lying in wait outside of his home I would think a prosecutor may have a case. Hope not though.
(Edit)
I misread the news and assumed he was waiting for the bad guys!! "The homeowner was outside at the time and he hid behind a bush in the yard and returned fire." Is not hiding and waiting..
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Gramps wrote: (Edit)
I misread the news and assumed he was waiting for the bad guys!! "The homeowner was outside at the time and he hid behind a bush in the yard and returned fire." Is not hiding and waiting..
I understand. I would hope that if someone decides to wait for a known threat to occur they'd at least have the tactical sense to hide behind real cover. :)
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Reminds me of a failure to recon involving a robbery of a Marathon station in Canton, OH. They knew one clerk open carried a pistol in a hip holster. The waited until he was off shift. They didn't account for him in the back room counting his drawer. The crew's MO was to shoot the clerk in the leg and open the register. They shot the clerk in the leg and the armed clerk came out of the back shooting. Yes, large capacity magazine was involved. 3 armed bad guys, 1 clerk. Ended up with 2 dead BG and one with a life sentence for felony murder.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
docachna

Post by docachna »

I was right. There's a little more to the story:

http://abc13.com/news/homeowner-shoots- ... 2/1960774/
...On Friday, the day before the shooting, officers said arson investigators were called to the same home after someone attempted to set the home on fire. Officers believe the home was targeted based on both of those incidents....
Looks like he pretty well prevented that second arson. Kinda starts to explain why you're out in the front yard at 3 in the morning with an AR.......
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE