Concealed carrier in Tx being called a hero

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Concealed carrier in Tx being called a hero

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/arlingt ... eports-say" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The wounded person was injured touching broken glass trying to escape. Murderer shoots employee, CCW holder shoots murderer, stopping murderer (who had 2 guns and 2 knifes) from doing any further potential harm. Although some news accounts call it a "bar" the place doesn't meet that legal definition in Texas, and not a CPZ.
djthomas

Re: Concealed carrier in Tx being called a hero

Post by djthomas »

As the Texans say, Sign = Blue. Carry On.
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

I read that the good guy shot the bad guy in the back.

I have never had to fire my gun, and hope that continues. But...is saying, "Drop it!", only in the movies??? :?:
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

MacDonald wrote:I read that the good guy shot the bad guy in the back.

I have never had to fire my gun, and hope that continues. But...is saying, "Drop it!", only in the movies??? :?:
Pretty much. The only time I would verbally challenge someone is if I had a rifle and was in a VERY advantageous position. Because what's the bad guy going to do? Spin and look for the challenger. I want to be in a spot where it's going to take some time for him to find me, and if he does, I want some serious firepower available. And even then... Eh... I dunno. I lean heavily towards always using the element of surprise.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Bianchi? wrote:
MacDonald wrote:I read that the good guy shot the bad guy in the back.

Pretty much.
Agreed. He already murdered somebody in cold blood, and there were over a dozen more people present. The time for warnings has passed.
xracer

Post by xracer »

I think in this case, the BG had already shot someone and the GG was concerned that others may be in danger if he didn't take immediate action.
Keep your eyes on the road and the rubber side down.
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

xracer wrote:I think in this case, the BG had already shot someone and the GG was concerned that others may be in danger if he didn't take immediate action.
Oh, I agree! I certainly understand...especially regarding the element of surprise. You WOULD want every advantage you could get as the GG in a life/death situation.

I can see that I need to stop watching movies and get additional training!
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Every situation is different but clearly one person shot, no need to see if he will drop it, drop him.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

catfish86 wrote:Every situation is different but clearly one person shot, no need to see if he will drop it, drop him.
Have a plan. You might not have time to try to figure it out in the moment, so a pre-existing plan will help you. A terrorist is different from an active shooter is different from a mugger with a stick etc. Training, especially scenario training with qualified trainers, helps here. It certainly helped me, as I had made some incorrect assumptions too. The qualified trainer is key too.

But here is a good tip- If you saw it in a movie, 99 times out of 100, it will get you killed in real life.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Mr. Glock wrote:
catfish86 wrote:Every situation is different but clearly one person shot, no need to see if he will drop it, drop him.
Have a plan. You might not have time to try to figure it out in the moment, so a pre-existing plan will help you. A terrorist is different from an active shooter is different from a mugger with a stick etc. Training, especially scenario training with qualified trainers, helps here. It certainly helped me, as I had made some incorrect assumptions too. The qualified trainer is key too.

But here is a good tip- If you saw it in a movie, 99 times out of 100, it will get you killed in real life.
Here's one movie clip that makes sound tactical sense under the circumstances. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxqWN9x4mwg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Here is another link with additional information. I think that if the CHL holder had tried to verbally stop him, and the guy would've turned on him and been able to shoot him, he might not have been able to prevent the guy from shooting other people. I guess the witnesses were just fine with what the CHL did under the circumstances.

This senseless violence could happen anywhere. Who knows what might've happened if that CHL holder hadn't been there. It could've ended up being like another Luby's massacre. Although it's sad the manager got killed trying to talk to him, at least this tragedy didn't happen at a criminal protection zone, where many more might've been killed.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/goo ... ce-n755136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When 48-year-old James Jones walked inside the Zona Caliente Sports Bar, started yelling and then allegedly shot and killed Cesar Perez — a 37-year-old restaurant manager who'd attempted to calm him down Arlington police said witnesses were afraid they would be next.

In addition to the gun used to kill Perez, police say Jones had another semiautomatic pistol and two knives on him. The serial number on the second gun had been scratched off, and Jones did not have a gun license, police said.

"He definitely had the capacity, if he wanted, to commit further violence and potentially kill other patrons in the business," Arlington Police Lieutenant Chris Cook told NBC News,
"He definitely had the capacity, if he wanted, to commit further violence and potentially kill other patrons in the business," Arlington Police Lieutenant Chris Cook told NBC News, adding that it did not appear that the shooter knew his victim.