Ray Tensing retrial set for May 25th and T shirt issues

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Ray Tensing retrial set for May 25th and T shirt issues

Post by WestonDon »

I see grounds for appeal here if Tensing is convicted.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

bignflnut wrote:Let me get this straight...Tensing wore this T-shirt (under his uniform or displayed in public that day?) and this is part of the prosecution's case against Tensing (because, racism)?

Is Tensing from Georgia or Alabama originally or something?
In regard to the first question, yes. :( Don't know about the 2nd question. The person that gave him the T shirt might be from the south, or vacationed there. If there hadn't been a shooting, no one would've probably ever known.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

glocksmith wrote:
docachna wrote:This whole thread reminds me of my corporate Diversity and Inclusion training I just underwent. One of the "instructors" had me on her side until she mentioned how she got "schooled" at a previous session, when she used the term "Rule of Thumb" in her conversation. Afterwards, one of her students apparently had cornered her after the session and told her that term was offensive. When she asked why, she was told that it originated in Great Britain back in the day when a man was allowed to beat his wife with any rod no thicker than his thumb. She then gleefully went on to say how she was going to be very careful now to eliminate that from her lexicon. Because one person happened to be offended by it.
Somebody's full of BS. This was a scene from the film "Boondock Saints" all the way back in 1999. Here's a clip NSFW LANGUAGE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0BjpUhPg9g
And there's this.

http://www.stuffmomnevertoldyou.com/blo ... eating.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Straight Dope also offers a comprehensive explanation of how the "rule of thumb" roots became tangled, pointing out that while wife beating has never been legal in the United States, the 1976 NOW Task Force on Battered Women claimed that "the common-law doctrine had been modified to allow the husband 'the right to whip his wife, provided that he used a switch no bigger than his thumb'--a rule of thumb, so to speak." And from there, the misinterpretation of the phrase has persisted.
Listener Mat also cites linguist William Safire, who wrote that "The idea that rule of thumb is derived from an early form of spousal abuse is in error." Instead, the phrase probably came from carpenters who used their thumbs as a quick, handy measuring tool. From WordOrigins, "The phrase is almost certainly an allusion to the fact that the first joint an adult thumb measures roughly one inch, literally a rule (or ruler) of thumb."

Looks like we should also verify potential linguistic urban legends...as a rule of thumb.
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... fe-beating" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;