15 year old boy shot and killed by police in Texas

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

15 year old boy shot and killed by police in Texas

Post by M-Quigley »

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/04/30/15-y ... s-officer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Investigators say he was the passenger in a car officers found when they received a call about underage drinking.
Chief Haber says the car carrying the victim backed down a road toward officers in an aggressive way. An officer then proceeded to fire a shot at the car, which hit the 15-year-old passenger.
Attorney Lee Merritt represents the victim’s family. He says he spoke with the other teenagers who were in the car, and he insists there was nothing dangerous about the way the young man behind the wheel was driving.

“They were simply leaving a party where they believed danger was,” said Merritt. “So I can’t wrap my mind around why an officer decided to shoot into the car.”

Chief Haber also said the police department has been receiving threats.

“Over the last several hours, we’ve received threats through social media towards officers… also towards our community,” said Chief Haber. “We want to encourage everyone to please just be patient.”
And then there's this more recent link.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/01/us/d ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Police Department in Balch Springs, Tex., said Sunday that the officer, whose name has not been released, fired on a car carrying the teenager, Jordan Edwards, a freshman at Mesquite High School in Balch Springs, because the car was reversing down a street toward the officer in an “aggressive manner.”

But Jonathan Haber, the police chief, told reporters at a news conference on Monday afternoon that video showed the opposite. He said the officer fired when the car was “moving forward as the officers approached,” according to The Associated Press. The Dallas County medical examiner’s report ruled the death a homicide caused by a “rifle wound” to the head.
glocksmith

Re: 15 year old boy shot and killed by police in Texas

Post by glocksmith »

I don't mean to be insensitive or anything...but, based on past experiences. I'm guessin' that's an old photo of a clean cut looking young man. Today, he probably had his pants hanging half down and gang tattoos all over him. When someone dies like that, there is often a scramble to portray a more positive image.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
rouger10

Post by rouger10 »

Why was he shooting at the passenger ???
The passenger has no control of the car !!!
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Pretty preliminary. Have to wait for more info. I can see it going either way.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

rouger10 wrote:Why was he shooting at the passenger ???
Perhaps the passenger was in the seat right behind the driver? My only guess.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

glocksmith wrote:I don't mean to be insensitive or anything...but, based on past experiences. I'm guessin' that's an old photo of a clean cut looking young man. Today, he probably had his pants hanging half down and gang tattoos all over him. When someone dies like that, there is often a scramble to portray a more positive image.
It looked like an old photo to me too. Here is one that is supposedly more up to date.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/01/us/d ... oting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as what he looked like at the time of the shooting, I'm not sure that's relevant to the question of whether he was justified to use deadly force in that situation. (assuming the cop could even see what he looked like in a car that was driving away from him.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Javelin Man wrote:
rouger10 wrote:Why was he shooting at the passenger ???
Perhaps the passenger was in the seat right behind the driver? My only guess.
Supposedly he was sitting next to the driver.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/02/us/d ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chief Jonathan Haber said at a news conference on Tuesday that the officer, Roy Oliver, had violated numerous department policies and terminated his employment after an internal investigation into the shooting. Prosecutors are investigating the shooting and could bring charges.

The boy, Jordan Edwards, 15, was shot in the head with a rifle when he was fleeing an end-of-the-school-year party in a car with his brother and three friends. Jordan’s 16-year-old brother was sitting just a few feet away in the driver’s seat when Jordan was shot in the head.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Short investigation. Officer has been fired.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... fired.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Balch Springs Police chief Jonathan Haber said on Tuesday that Oliver had 'violated several departmental policies' but declined to provide further information.

Oliver had worked as an officer at Balch Spring since 2011. No other details about the officer have been released.

Police had earlier stated that the car Jordan was in had driven towards police in an aggressive matter.

The department chief told reporters that wasn't the case and that police video showed the vehicle was driving away, not reversing towards officers.

Haber wouldn't release the police video or describe it in detail other than to acknowledge he erred in describing the encounter, but said he was troubled by what he saw.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

About enough time to review the cameras. What I find curious is the report that the teen was shot with a rifle. Since when do you respond to a drunk and disorderly with a rifle?

But the key factor here is that use of deadly force is justified if your life or someone else's is in danger. Driving away from the officers is not endangering anyone.

As to the age or appearance of the victim, not sure that matters. Even if he looked like a thug there was no just cause to fire a rifle into a car full of people.
God,

Gun control is racist.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Am I allowed to do the same thing if a I feel threatened by a driver?
The rifle is God's gift to the rifleman. - Fred
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Michael wrote:Am I allowed to do the same thing if a I feel threatened by a driver?
No, you'll be fired.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Javelin Man wrote:
Michael wrote:Am I allowed to do the same thing if a I feel threatened by a driver?
No, you'll be fired.
Maybe even more that that.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jordan-edwa ... th-murder/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And there's also this.
Oliver was suspended for 16 hours in December 2013 after the Dallas County District Attorney's Office filed the complaint, according to personnel records obtained by The Associated Press. Oliver also was ordered to take training courses in anger management and courtroom demeanor and testimony.

The personnel records also included periodic evaluations that noted at least one instance when Oliver was reprimanded for being "disrespectful to a civilian on a call." That evaluation, dated Jan. 27, 2017, called the reprimand an isolated incident and urged Oliver to be mindful of his leadership role in the department.

The complaint from the prosecutor's office said the office had a hard time getting Oliver to attend the trial, he was angry he had to be there, he used vulgar language that caused an assistant district attorney to send a female intern out of the room, and he used profanity during his testimony.

"In an email from one of the prosecutors he states you were a 'scary person to have in our workroom,'" then-Balch Springs Police Chief Ed Morris wrote in the suspension findings.
According to this same link he gave up some sick days in lieu of actually serving a suspension.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

UPDATE: Texas cop convicted of murder, gets 15 year sentence. Both sides unhappy with sentence. It doesn't mention in this link, but I heard on the tv news that the defense is also unhappy with the sentence, saying that because he was a cop he will be treated harshly in prison if he is sent there at all.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/30/fa ... tence.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

M-Quigley wrote:It doesn't mention in this link, but I heard on the tv news that the defense is also unhappy with the sentence, saying that because he was a cop he will be treated harshly in prison if he is sent there at all.l
  1. Is he going to be more "harshly" treated than the kid he murdered?
  2. If the way not to be shot by police is not to fight the police, isn't the way for police not to be "harshly" treated in prison is for them not to murder people?
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

An altogether too rare incident where a police officer who was trigger happy was held to account. A lot of situations where cops are fully justified but there are those badge bullies in the crowd that try to use the rest as their cover. Idiot, evidence clearly showed nobody was endangered by these kids driving a car. Who knows what was really in this guys head when he shot into a car full of people with a rifle.
God,

Gun control is racist.