Springfield and Rock River Arms sell out to antis

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Springfield and Rock River Arms sell out to antis

Post by dl1911 »

Saw this on FB from TheTruthAboutGuns.com

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/ ... ieces/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like IL legislature was looking at requiring dealers to have an IL FFL in addition to the federal FFL. In addition, private sales would be capped at 9 per year. IL doesn't allow private sales, everything has to go through a FFL. Springfield and RRA were fighting it until they got an exception carved out for themselves since they're based in IL. Once that was done, the withdrew their objections and signed on.

While I wasn't shooting back when S&W caved in to the Clintonista regime, I've heard about it and what it cost them. Wonder how much this will affect their sales? Possibly some very bad timing as it's during the NRAAM this weekend. Might have been quite a few people asking about it at their booths. Those who know me know of predilection for unusual calibers like 10mm and 357SIG. Rumor had it that Springfield was working on 10mm XD. Won't look twice at myself now. Was going to pick up a 9mm 5" XD this weekend but decided to skip on it. Might have to pay more for the extras that they're sending buyers right now (purchases through June 30th will get 4 extra magazines, holster, and mag carrier from them) but would rather pay for them from someone else.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
Brian D.

Re: Springfield and Rock River Arms sell out to antis

Post by Brian D. »

Thanks for posting this. It will cause me to dig a little deeper for specifics. Need to find out if they "punted" on fourth and long or way too soon before deciding whether to make my future purchases from their competitors.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

dl1911 wrote:While I wasn't shooting back when S&W caved in to the Clintonista regime, I've heard about it and what it cost them. Wonder how much this will affect their sales?

What did S&W do during the Clinton years? I know old Bill Ruger supported the 94 AW ban, mostly because his mini 14's weren't affected.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Briefly, Smith and Wesson started equipping all their handguns with built in locks to curry favor with the Clinton administration.

********************************************************************************
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

From the cited article in the OP..
Meanwhile, over at the Rock River booth at the NRA convention, owner Chuck Larson has professed innocence in the matter. He’s told several industry types that he had no contact with IFMA lobbyist Jay Keller and knew nothing of this carve-out. What’s more, Larson seems genuinely appalled by what happened.
must be careful not to eat our own. Need all the facts first.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Brian D. wrote:Briefly, Smith and Wesson started equipping all their handguns with built in locks to curry favor with the Clinton administration.
Actually, you are mixing two events. First, S&W under a UK company agreed to, basically, be the (non-family friendly
Word here) in exchange for lots of .gov contracts. UK ownership didn't understand the whole civilian gun ownership thing, thinking .gov contracts would be gravy. Sales plummet.

The second part was some ex-S&W folks (I think left as UK company bought S&W) were ensconced at the SAF-T-Hammer
Company. They bought S&W after the UK company suffered the ire of the American gun owner. That little lock? The SAF-T-Hammer execs get a royalty on each one because that was their patented product. And, not direct P&L inside S&W as just a license fee. Kind of like double-dipping on the government pension, so to speak.

And, prior to that, Bill Ruger became (not family friendly word) in exchange for .gov contracts. No guns with magazines of more than 10 rounds for the peons.

The difference here is that all that happened 20-25 years ago, AWB and all that. Different world. It appears Springfield did it now. Much different world.

Shame, I thought the SAINT was a great extra AR.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Brian D. wrote:Briefly, Smith and Wesson started equipping all their handguns with built in locks to curry favor with the Clinton administration.
Wasn't there also a stretch of time where S&W voluntarily stopped all sales of high-capacity magazines/semi-autos to law enforcement market only? Outside of the 1994 Clinton ban?
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

I'm disappointed. I own SA products. Was strongly considering buying another. This will not help.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

glocksmith wrote:
Wasn't there also a stretch of time where S&W voluntarily stopped all sales of high-capacity magazines/semi-autos to law enforcement market only? Outside of the 1994 Clinton ban?
I don't remember one way or the other.

glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I meant to say "limited all sales of high-capacity/semi-auto to law enforcement only". Yes, IIRC there was a period of time when S&W would not sell any magazine-fed, semi-auto to the general public.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

glocksmith wrote:I meant to say "limited all sales of high-capacity/semi-auto to law enforcement only". Yes, IIRC there was a period of time when S&W would not sell any magazine-fed, semi-auto to the general public.
Pretty sure that was during the AWB that limited all mags to 10 rounds unless they were stamped with "LE only".

Yeah this is pretty sad on the the gun manufactures part. I just saw that Springfield was coming out with a hammer fired DA/SA single stack 9mm. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere now.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Whirlwind06 wrote: I just saw that Springfield was coming out with a hammer fired DA/SA single stack 9mm. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere now.
This style of handgun may be new territory for Springfield Armory, but they're pretty late to the game with it. Lots of existing DA/SA guns with external hammers out there.

Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

Yes double stack DA/SA there are plenty.
The current production list of single stack DA/SA guns is the Sig 239.
And there are S&W's old out of production 39xx series out there but that's about it.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Well, screw em. Its the beginning of the end if manufacturers continue to drop like this. "Shall not be infringed" will have plenty of infringements in the way if we all need a FFL to do buying and selling. The best and only way to nip this at the bud is to completely stop buying an selling Springfield and Rock River products. Because its in IL today doesn't mean it won't happen in OH tomorrow.

I was in need of a full sized steel 1911 in 9mm and was looking at theirs. No more.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

gaptrick wrote:The best and only way to nip this at the bud is to completely stop buying an selling Springfield and Rock River products.
I'm still parsing SA's response but so far it sounds like they were a part of this. But let's give RR the benefit of the doubt as this continues to play out, especially given their response at the NRA annual meeting:
Bruenor wrote:From the cited article in the OP..
Meanwhile, over at the Rock River booth at the NRA convention, owner Chuck Larson has professed innocence in the matter. He’s told several industry types that he had no contact with IFMA lobbyist Jay Keller and knew nothing of this carve-out. What’s more, Larson seems genuinely appalled by what happened.
must be careful not to eat our own. Need all the facts first.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!