OFCC vs Cleveland, A win for Ohio gun owners

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: OFCC vs Cleveland, A win for Ohio gun owners

Post by WestonDon »

I agree that a fat war chest would go a long way towards fixing this problem. But it is what it is.

Perhaps an efficient use of our limited funds would be an educational campaign come election time explaining to the denizens of Cleveland how their elected officials are squandering THEIR tax money. Money that could be used for midnight basketball or whatever.

Just a suggestion.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

catfish86 wrote:As to punishing the individual legislators, good luck with that. Not too many legistlators don't see that slippery slope as one that they might personally be on one day. What are the current penalties? If I remember correctly attorney fees but those are usually "reasonable" and the trial court judge being upended on appeal gets to decide what is "reasonable". Maybe a sizable statutory penalty in addition to attorney fees would be in order.
Florida put language in place that allows individual municipal legislators to be PERSONALLY fined up to $2500 (?) for attempting to pass gun laws that violate their state's preemption law. So far it seems to work, and has withstood court challenges.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Brian D. wrote:
Why can't the chief of the supremes lean over and say the same sort of thing to Cleveland's legal team: "We REALLY don't want you bringing another case like this before us. Capiche? "

That and some statehouse cojones which put enforcement teeth into 9.68 could do the trick. But we will likely never see the latter, we don't got bribe money for the legislators. Maybe we throwing money at the wrong bunch of lawyers.
What can the Supremes really do though? Usually in criminal cases they can threaten because of light sentences. The "hey, ill give you 3 months of probation now but if you come back I'll give you 3 months of jail."

There really isn't much leeway when it comes to cases that make it to the supreme court. I look at lower courts as greyscale. But the supreme court is pretty much black and white.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I'd also like to see our wimpy little "I'm tough on crime, look at me standing by this SWAT team during campaign season" Ohio AG weigh in against Cleveland's nonsense-spewing mayor and council when they're obviously thumbing their noses at ORC 9.68.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

The A.G.'s actions (or lack thereof) appears to be political 'Quid Pro Quo' as demonstrated by the Cleve. P.D.:
http://www.cleveland.com/politics/index ... th_bi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

City of Cleveland denied again...

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... ain_1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jan 31, 2018 - The Ohio Supreme Court on Wednesday refused to take up Cleveland's appeal of a decision that struck down a gun offender registry and several gun ordinances approved in 2015.

The decision lets stand an April 2017 ruling by the Ohio 8th District Court of Appeals. That ruling held as invalid a package of ordinances proposed by Mayor Frank Jackson and passed by City Council in the wake of a flurry of gun violence in 2014 and 2015.

Jackson on Wednesday expressed disappointment that the Supreme Court would not hear the case.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson