Man mauled to death by dog

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Man mauled to death by dog

Post by Javelin Man »

You're right, DTOM, I'll just turn up the volume on the television and hope for the best for my neighbor. No need to risk anything, no reason to check to see if the dog might've run away after the mauling and I could apply a tourniquet and saved the man's life. Nope, it's not me, he chose to walk through that alley and he deserved what he got. Don't get involved. Finish my show and see if it pops up on the evening news. That's as far as I need to get involved. :|
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:What's my plan? Easy:

Step one: Investigate what in the world is going on.
Step two: Come up with plan.
Step three: Implement plan and adapt as needed.
Your plan, so far, is to come up with a plan. That's nice. If I may suggest, you might want to expand upon that because you finish with expressing that you wouldn't be able to not act. The idea that you'll logically work through the scenario in a calm and orderly manner while at the same time responding to that overwhelming emotional impetus you've identified, well it's not very likely.

Also, and this is entirely up to you, but you might want to consider that you're not the only one that has to live with the consequences of your plan plan. If that very well thought out plan of yours results in serious injury, your love ones get to share in the emotional and fiscal pain.

Or you could recognize that, sometimes - not all the time but sometimes, the best thing to do is to let the authorities who are paid and authorized to deal with situations deal with it. Even though that failure to act makes you feel emotionally bad.

We're you ever in the Military... ?
.my guess would be no..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I wouldn't be able to see that going on and not take action. Dead dog, guaranteed. Had to do it once, sad to say. Bare hands, my weapon was the wheels of a passing truck. Nowadays I'd shoot it instead.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

DontTreadOnMe wrote: That doesn't mean you can't ever help someone in a dangerous situation, like a dog attack, but before you go running in all gung-ho hero mode, stop and think. Engage your brain. What are you able to do in the situation. Sadly in the situation of a pitbull attack there's very little you can do and the risk of making things worse is real (shooting yourself or the victim when you try to shoot the dog, for example).
Say hypothetically someone is willing to take the risk to themselves to get involved in a situation like this, where without some kind of intervention prior to the police arriving (who knows when that might be depending on where you live) that person could die, what could a person do to at least divert the dogs attack off of the initial victim? Pepper spray, ball bat, claw hammer, or crow bar over the head, some method that doesn't involve the chance of accidentally shooting the victim while the dog still has a hold of him/her.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

M-Quigley wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote: That doesn't mean you can't ever help someone in a dangerous situation, like a dog attack, but before you go running in all gung-ho hero mode, stop and think. Engage your brain. What are you able to do in the situation. Sadly in the situation of a pitbull attack there's very little you can do and the risk of making things worse is real (shooting yourself or the victim when you try to shoot the dog, for example).
Say hypothetically someone is willing to take the risk to themselves to get involved in a situation like this, where without some kind of intervention prior to the police arriving (who knows when that might be depending on where you live) that person could die, what could a person do to at least divert the dogs attack off of the initial victim? Pepper spray, ball bat, claw hammer, or crow bar over the head, some method that doesn't involve the chance of accidentally shooting the victim while the dog still has a hold of him/her.
Now you're talking. Best is a shot to the chest of the dog, but run a chance of hitting the victim if the dog is very active and moving. A rip hammer pointing backwards would be effective as would the crowbar, but same risk for hitting the victim, but you may be able to pull back a little bit if someone's arm is getting in the way. Pepper spray would be a bad idea as the victim won't be able to move and will get a snootful of seasoning just as they are fighting for air or for their life.

A garden hose would be great, what are the chances it'll be nearby? Perhaps a fire extinguisher turned on the dog might get it to release, if he comes at you, he can get a mouthful of CO.

As Brian D and others stated, it would be impossible to just listen to someone getting killed.

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
Javelin Man wrote:Or if the caller had the balls and tools to go outside to help the man. :roll:
This.
Dam pit bulls. :wink:
Black Rifles Matter
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Man gets attacked by his own pit bull in Cleveland. The man's wife stabbed the dog.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... short_home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

carmen fovozzo wrote:It's obvious you won't lift a finger to help anyone that is being killed mugged raped or what ever..
Is it obvious? Because I don't recall either of those situations being at issue here or under discussion.
carmen fovozzo wrote:We're you ever in the Military... ?
.my guess would be no..
What branch of the military were you in that talked about inserting yourself into every situation regardless of what it is, and without any plan for victory?

“Engage your brain before you engage your weapon.” - Gen. James Mattis ... What a nut he is, huh?
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

pirateguy191 wrote:Man gets attacked by his own pit bull in Cleveland. The man's wife stabbed the dog.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... short_home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good Samaritan injured while trying to end pit bull attack
http://www.kfvs12.com/story/29019633/go ... ull-attack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I ran over and I hit the dog and I grabbed and pulled the dog off him. That's when he immediately turned on me and started biting my right arm,” Kirstein said"

Again I'll reiterate that I'm familiar enough with the area to know that the dog in question was almost certainly a pitbull before I read the whole story, and that it was likely owned by someone who mistreated it because he wanted it to be aggressive. That knowledge factors into my decision making regarding this event.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

M-Quigley wrote:Say hypothetically someone is willing to take the risk to themselves to get involved in a situation like this, where without some kind of intervention prior to the police arriving (who knows when that might be depending on where you live) that person could die, what could a person do to at least divert the dogs attack off of the initial victim? Pepper spray, ball bat, claw hammer, or crow bar over the head, some method that doesn't involve the chance of accidentally shooting the victim while the dog still has a hold of him/her.
Pepper spray seems like a good choice. Maybe something wrapped around the weak arm as bite protection, pepper spray in that hand. Hopefully it will irritate the dog enough to get it to stop biting, then assuming it doesn't immediately take off (which strikes me as unlikely) shoot it when a clear shot presents itself. Also ideally someone else with you, so that when your plan goes to heck the other person can help.

If you really feel you wouldn't be able to prevent yourself from getting physically involved in this situation, then coming up with a plan in advance makes sense.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:Man gets attacked by his own pit bull in Cleveland. The man's wife stabbed the dog.

Good Samaritan injured while trying to end pit bull attack
http://www.kfvs12.com/story/29019633/go ... ull-attack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I ran over and I hit the dog and I grabbed and pulled the dog off him. That's when he immediately turned on me and started biting my right arm,” Kirstein said"

Again I'll reiterate that I'm familiar enough with the area to know that the dog in question was almost certainly a pitbull before I read the whole story, and that it was likely owned by someone who mistreated it because he wanted it to be aggressive. That knowledge factors into my decision making regarding this event.
More from the link:

“He tried tasing one of the dogs with a stun gun. That got them to separate for maybe a second or two then they went back to fighting. Then he tried tasing one of the other dogs,” Kirstein said.

The officer slipped on the gravel after the dogs tried to attack him, said Kirstein.
“I ran over and I hit the dog and I grabbed and pulled the dog off him. That's when he immediately turned on me and started biting my right arm,” Kirstein said

According to Kirstein, that gave the officer time to draw his weapon before firing a total of four shots, which killed the attacking dog.
That is why you won't see me grabbing a dog the size of a pit bull off of someone. I might try some other methods of stopping a dog attack prior to shooting, (as I did once) but should all other methods fail, I still have a gun to fall back on if needed.
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

carmen fovozzo wrote:It's obvious you won't lift a finger to help anyone that is being killed mugged raped or what ever..

That is sad....
yep
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

OHIOSTEVE wrote:

That is sad....
yep
Ok fine I'll take that example: Before you think it's a great idea to go running into a situation you don't know and pull your gun to help someone being "mugged raped or what ever" you might want to read http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/a ... t-carriers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or don't, and get arrested for pulling a gun on a cop. Or get arrested when a battered spouse covers for her abusive partner and you get arrested instead.

It's not about not helping, it's about engaging your brain before responding to those primitive urges you're feeling.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Alright, we're talking two different things here. One is accusing us of jumping into the deep end of the pool without even looking to see if there is water in there and the others are just stating they could not listen to someone screaming for five minutes without doing something. Once we've determined something is wrong, we can use our brains to grab some tools as well as assess the situation.

Come on, man! Nobody is advocating jumping through the window to land on a rabid pitbull! We'll use our heads, but we're not going to just close the windows and drapes and turn up the tele so we're not getting involved. To accuse us of such is just crazy and not worthy of anymore responses. :roll:

3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Javelin Man wrote:Alright, we're talking two different things here. One is accusing us of jumping into the deep end of the pool without even looking to see if there is water in there and the others are just stating they could not listen to someone screaming for five minutes without doing something. Once we've determined something is wrong, we can use our brains to grab some tools as well as assess the situation.
I disagree. If you don't come up with a plan in advance, or at least the bones of a plan, then you're going to be reacting in the heat of the moment and your plan is going to suck.

I've thought about what to do if a neighbor is attacked by a person, or a dog.
I've thought about what to do if I come upon a man beating / raping a woman.
I've thought about other scenarios too.

I'm not saying I'm awesome for coming up with these plans, but at the same time I don't appreciate the accusations that have been thrown my way including the 2 "gentlemen" who've outright stated that because I wouldn't go out to deal with a drug dealer's pit bull mauling someone, that I wouldn't ever help anyone in distress.