2 different accounts r/t police shooting in Hamilton

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

2 different accounts r/t police shooting in Hamilton

Post by M-Quigley »

Here is the initial story of a Hamilton, Oh police officer shooting at someone who the officer alleges had a knife.

http://www.journal-news.com/news/hamilt ... yY8oOPiKJ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When the officer arrived “he was immediately confronted by an armed subject,” Bucheit said.

That person, a white man who was about 20 years but that police have not yet named, was armed with what was described as a butcher knife.

“There was a brief confrontation and in that confrontation the officer discharged his weapon,” Bucheit said.
Then there is this story.

http://www.whio.com/news/neighbor-man-l ... Gi010OvyI/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Francis Adu, 41, another resident of the complex, said he didn’t see any weapon in the man’s hands seconds before the shooting.

Adu said a Hamilton police cruiser — without its lights or sirens activated — pulled in behind him in the complex and parked his vehicle in the parking lot. Adu parked his car in front of his apartment, and watched from his car as the man, shirtless and wearing a black scarf around his face, took two steps toward the officer with his arms in the air, he said.

Adu said the officer fired twice and hit the victim in the stomach. The man fell into a grassy area near the parking lot, Adu said. Adu pointed to the area and said the grass was still blood-stained.

The man died at the scene and no other shooting victims were found, according to police.

Seconds later, several Hamilton police officers responded to the complex, Adu said. He said residents came out of their apartments and started filming the police activity with their cell phones.

Adu said he was interviewed by detectives at the Hamilton police station on Saturday. He spent most of Saturday night telling his friends on the phone what he had witnessed.
I didn't see anything mentioned in either of these two sources about a weapon recovered at the scene. According to the first link the officer did not have a body cam, but they are reviewing cruiser cam video.
M-Quigley

Re: 2 different accounts r/t police shooting in Hamilton

Post by M-Quigley »

UPDATE: Police now believe the initial 911 caller who reported seeing someone shooting a gun was the deceased who was shot by the arriving police officer. Still no word at this time on what the cruiser cam showed, if anything, or forensic evidence to confirm the officers account. Not even mentioning whether a knife was found at the scene, although that by itself wouldn't be enough to confirm the officers account with conflicting testimony.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Wow this is a weird story. According to this report (http://www.journal-news.com/news/crime- ... jzb8ZLoSP/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) he was still on the phone with 911, having falsely claimed someone had been shot) when the officer shows up.
Then the caller is heard running.

“Where are you running to?” the dispatcher asks.

But he says he is still by the trash.

Seconds later, the responding police officer, McFall, is heard saying, “put it down, put it down.”

Then he tells dispatch shots fired.

The dispatcher continues to yell, “Thomas, Thomas,” and the phone line goes dead.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

There was a case a few years ago in Columbus where the victim of a break in was shot and killed by CPD as he came out the front door and the bad guy got away in a CPD cruiser
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:Wow this is a weird story. According to this report (http://www.journal-news.com/news/crime- ... jzb8ZLoSP/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) he was still on the phone with 911, having falsely claimed someone had been shot) when the officer shows up.
Then the caller is heard running.

“Where are you running to?” the dispatcher asks.

But he says he is still by the trash.

Seconds later, the responding police officer, McFall, is heard saying, “put it down, put it down.”

The dispatcher continues to yell, “Thomas, Thomas,” and the phone line goes dead.
He was allegedly holding both a knife and a phone?

Hopefully the cruiser cam video will show something, assuming it was running. Does anyone know if Hamilton's cruiser cams run all the time or just when lights or siren on? According to one of the links the cruiser allegedly did not have it's lights or siren on when it pulled into the complex.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

UPDATE:

http://www.whio.com/news/man-fatally-sh ... e2sU8fWLL/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Statements from witnesses, a 911 call and evidence recovered at the scene all led a grand jury to return a “no indictment” decision in the case in which a Hamilton Police officer fatally shot Michael Anthony Wilson-Salzl, who police said confronted the officer with a knife.
Officer Steven McFall, 41, shot and killed Wilson-Salzl, 24, at about 3 p.m. April 22 in the parking lot of Knollwood Crossing apartments, police said, after Wilson-Salzl engaged in a “confrontation” while carrying a butcher knife.

Wilson-Salzl was “mentally disturbed with serious psychiatric conditions with a history of suicidal ideation and attempts,” according to Butler County Prosecutor Michael Gmoser, who announced the no indictment decision today.

According to Gmoser, Wilson-Salzl used a fake pistol in 2016 to encourage a police officer to shoot him.
Wilson-Salzl, wearing a black mask, charged at McFall as he exited his police car, according to Gmoser.
Wilson-Salzl “had both of his arms raised and was holding a butcher knife in one hand in an assaultive manner,” Gmoser said.
McFall, is heard in the 911 call saying, “put it down, put it down.”