High School student Expelled for 1 year over water gun

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

High School student Expelled for 1 year over water gun

Post by Bruenor »

Not sure why we pay school administrators so much. any monkey can do that job and follow a written set of guidelines without having to apply critical reasoning and think for themselves.
Zero Tolerance claims another victim.
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/sto ... 100577098/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Autauga County Board of Education expelled Sara Allena “Laney” Nichols in February for a year from all schools in the county and she was banned from school property and any extra-curricular activities for the same period.
The male classmate handed the water gun to Laney in the hall after seventh period on Jan. 27, Herring said. She put it in her backpack and then put it the backseat of her car. The exchange was recorded on the school’s surveillance cameras. The footage showed Laney with the toy, but not the male classmate, Herring said. On Jan. 31, another student went to PHS authorities and told them Laney had a gun.

“The little girl who went to the office was scared to death,” Herring said. “She saw the boy hand Laney the gun on Friday and didn’t know the gun wasn’t real. She did what she was supposed to do, she went to the authorities. They did what they were supposed to do when they were told a gun may be in the school.

“Laney admitted she had the gun and told them it was a water gun and in her car. She and the other boy were silly and made a mistake. But the punishment she received was completely out of line for what happened.”
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: High School student Expelled for 1 year over water gun

Post by WY_Not »

Well her parents are part of the problem...
“She’s 16 and doesn’t know what it means when you hear ‘gun’ on campus,” Herring said. “We admit what she did was wrong. I was hoping this could be a teachable moment for her. We’re not saying she should not have been punished. But she took a 10-day suspension. And then the board expelled her. We feel the expulsion is excessive.”
Bull @#%$@$@#$#$! Neither she nor the boy did anything wrong. It is a freaking squirt gun. Anyone too stupid to realize that is too stupid to be a school administrator or BoE member.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

WY_Not wrote:Well her parents are part of the problem...
“She’s 16 and doesn’t know what it means when you hear ‘gun’ on campus,” Herring said. “We admit what she did was wrong. I was hoping this could be a teachable moment for her. We’re not saying she should not have been punished. But she took a 10-day suspension. And then the board expelled her. We feel the expulsion is excessive.”
Bull @#%$@$@#$#$! Neither she nor the boy did anything wrong. It is a freaking squirt gun. Anyone too stupid to realize that is too stupid to be a school administrator or BoE member.
Unfortunately with the zero tolerance it's what we get. I got a 3 day suspension in the 7th or 8th grade for telling a kid to please go kill himself and drawing a picture of him pointing a gun at his own head. Hey, I didn't threaten him, just asked him to do it himself. LOL

That was thankfully before this zero tolerance BS.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

That's why I always keep a wary eye on my saxophone players and why I married a trumpet player. You just can't trust woodwinds. :!:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

WY_Not wrote:Well her parents are part of the problem...
Of course she and the boy did something wrong. Administrators have to check into 'gun on campus' claims. Resources are tied up investigating. I my opinion the punishment is excessive.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yeah, they have to check into it. Find out it is a SQUIRT gun. Tell them to leave the toys at home. End of story.

Were they squirting people in the halls? Were they squirting people in class? The girl and they boy did nothing wrong other than scaring a delicate little snowflake. The administrator and the BoE are idiots.

Hopefully the parents will be able to take a large bite out of the school's bank account.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

WY_Not wrote:Hopefully the parents will be able to take a large bite out of the school's bank account.
I wish we didn't have to hurt the general taxpayers and students in that area. What we need to get back to is personal and individual accountability - if it hits adminstrators individually, they'll have to think about repercussions to themselves. Somehow we need to make the consequences fall on people making these decisions - stop shielding them.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Setting aside the zero tolerance BS there's another issue that I think just might get the school district in trouble. Seems the boy who brought it to school and gave it to her wasn't punished. Then he brought another one to school a few months later and gave it to some other boy. They both received in school suspensions.

I'm not normally one to scream sex discrimination but dang, they better have really, really compelling reasons for such disparate treatment between the girl and the two boys.
marca

Post by marca »

pk47 wrote:
WY_Not wrote:Hopefully the parents will be able to take a large bite out of the school's bank account.
I wish we didn't have to hurt the general taxpayers and students in that area. What we need to get back to is personal and individual accountability - if it hits adminstrators individually, they'll have to think about repercussions to themselves. Somehow we need to make the consequences fall on people making these decisions - stop shielding them.
Hitting them in the pocket book is about the only thing they understand. It sounds bad, but they need to feel some pain before they will change anything. Otherwise, it's just business as usual.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

marca wrote:
pk47 wrote:
Hitting them in the pocket book is about the only thing they understand. It sounds bad, but they need to feel some pain before they will change anything. Otherwise, it's just business as usual.
True, but in some cases it's not their pocket book but their insurance company's pocket. Therefore the schools simply don't care. Also, something like this, if one can find discrimination, then sure. But if it's simply one doesn't believe in the sentence and think it's too harsh, the schools get the upper hand generally. They can claim safety and show how they are following state/federal recommendations for zero tolerance.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I get the 10 day suspension because a black toy pistol has resulted in fatal shootings by cops. Now the circumstances are that neither the girl nor the boys brandished or threatened anyone. One student saw it and reported it and the administrators later found it on video. We are not talking about bomb threat/facebook posts threatening shootings. Expulsion (really 1 year suspension) is entirely out of line. Then you add in the boys did it a second time and only got a few days suspension. This is like that kid with the NRA shirt...the school district will pay out real money on this one. While the school can say they believed they were acting in the interests of the safety of the students BUT it has to be a REASONABLE belief.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

School has changed so much since my youth. I used to carry a BONG in my Member's Only jacket and a Manila Folder in my blue jeans pocket. The only thing which ever got used inside the school - and on a daily basis - was the bong. I never had to use the knife and no one seemed to care that I had it. We all carried pocket knives and such...even the teachers had em.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
A_F

Post by A_F »

she was so worried it was real, she waited 4 days to report it?
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

A_F wrote:she was so worried it was real, she waited 4 days to report it?
Maybe she was in shock!!!
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life