Facebook Killing Suspect Had CHL

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

gilly32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Facebook Killing Suspect Had CHL

Post by gilly32 »

According to Cleveland police, Steve Stephens had a valid concealed handgun license.

More fodder for the anti's.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... has_1.html
"The right to keep and bear arms is rooted in both self-defense and insurance against government’s propensity toward tyranny. The right pre-existed the Constitution. Thus, the Second Amendment is not its source. The right to keep and bear arms is natural and inalienable; the Second Amendment protects it, and Congress has no legitimate power to restrict it." - Senator John Cornyn (R., Tex.), as reported in the National Review on July 4, 2016

Burma Shave
Brian D.

Re: Facebook Killing Suspect Had CHL

Post by Brian D. »

It seems that well over half the time such a claim is made, it turns out to be incorrect. And of course, no retraction from ANYBODY later on. We shall see. But, Ohio has issued closing in on 600,000 CHL's now right? A small handful will doubtless end up doing something awful over such a long period of years.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Interesting that 'the police said' he had a concealed carry permit.. wouldn't you have to ask the sheriff ?
I guess the police could have asked the sheriff, then relayed the info to the plain dealer.

Once he starts murdering people though, the permit is kind of irrelevant.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Bruenor wrote:Interesting that 'the police said' he had a concealed carry permit.. wouldn't you have to ask the sheriff ?
I guess the police could have asked the sheriff, then relayed the info to the plain dealer.

Why would the police need to ask anyone? If my department arrests you for failure to notify, we release that to the media, the sheriff was never involved in the process. Since the law doesn't say it's protected info, anyone in law enforcement has access to the info and can release it if it possibly pertains to the case if it's included in an investigative narrative somewhere.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Why would the police need to ask anyone? If my department arrests you for failure to notify, we release that to the media, the sheriff was never involved in the process. Since the law doesn't say it's protected info, anyone in law enforcement has access to the info and can release it if it possibly pertains to the case if it's included in an investigative narrative somewhere.
Since only a CHL holder actually carrying a firearm has a duty to notify the only (well, most likely) way an officer would know to charge someone with failure to notify is if the person provides that info themselves. That's not the case here. CDP (I think that's the abbrev. they use) would have had to get it from the Sheriff's office directly or through LEADS or something similar. My understanding is that 2923.129 specifies that information is not public record.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

If someone implies this is a reason not to have legal concealed carry, ask them to give up their drivers license. After all, the guy that 3 months ago killed 5 and injured over 20 people with a car had a valid drivers license, along with all the other car drivers that have committed serious crimes. (and yes this was an intentional act)

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/19/asia/melbourne-car-crash/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All a CHL shows is someone took a little training and (at the time of the application) passed a basic background check. The background check doesn't mean that they're a good person, only that they haven't been caught and convicted of certain offenses. Even if the person was a good person at the time they applied, (which this guy seemed to be from the news accounts) it's not a guarantee someone won't turn bad later on. The same was true of a certain cop in a nearby dept. that I once knew. He was a good guy until he started committing thefts one day, and then eventually got caught.

A DL or a CHL isn't a guarantee of future behavior. Not having a legal means of concealed carry only prevents the law abiding from being able to defend themselves against people like this guy. The CHL is only a license to carry, not a license to kill. This guy didn't need a CHL to carry anyway for the purpose of murder. If the guy with the car or the guy with the gun cared about a penalty for violating some license law, they wouldn't have committed what is essentially first degree murder in the first place.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Bruenor wrote:Interesting that 'the police said' he had a concealed carry permit.. wouldn't you have to ask the sheriff ?

Why would the police need to ask anyone? If my department arrests you for failure to notify, we release that to the media, the sheriff was never involved in the process. Since the law doesn't say it's protected info, anyone in law enforcement has access to the info and can release it if it possibly pertains to the case if it's included in an investigative narrative somewhere.
Guess I didn't think of the obvious where it comes up when they run a plate or license.. not being anywhere near Leos guess I just don't know what all systems that info is recorded in.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:

2923.129 doe specify that the information made available by the Sheriff is confidential and not public record.
2923.129(D) Law enforcement agencies may use the information a sheriff makes available through the use of the law enforcement automated data system pursuant to division (H) of section 2923.125 or division (B)(2) or (D) of section 2923.1213 of the Revised Code for law enforcement purposes only. The information is confidential and is not a public record. A person who releases or otherwise disseminates this information obtained through the law enforcement automated data system in a manner not described in this division is guilty of a violation of section 2913.04 of the Revised Code.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Is the CHL plastic square a talisman?

''When he took the CHL talisman from over his heart & into his wallet, it lost it's magical effects.''
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Is there a person alive who thinks that if this guy DIDN'T have his handgun license he never would have killed anybody?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Chuck wrote:Is there a person alive who thinks that if this guy DIDN'T have his handgun license he never would have killed anybody?
The gun and CHL were to him like Stormbringer to Elric. They just possessed him. He had no choice... :roll:
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Chuck wrote:Is there a person alive who thinks that if this guy DIDN'T have his handgun license he never would have killed anybody?
Sadly, Chuck, I've met people who "connect the dots" EXACTLY that way. If they're over say thirty years old I don't waste much time trying to straighten them out.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

M-Quigley wrote:If someone implies this is a reason not to have legal concealed carry, ask them to give up their drivers license.
Better yet, let's be rid of both and focus the government on catching lawbreakers, putting them to death swiftly, if the crime warrants such punishment. Imagine the savings if we were able to shut down BMVs in each county and set up a few more courtrooms.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Steve Stephens, the suspect in the Cleveland, Ohio, Facebook killing, shot and killed himself after a brief pursuit in Erie County, Pennsylvania, this morning, the Pennsylvania State Police said.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

bignflnut wrote:
Steve Stephens, the suspect in the Cleveland, Ohio, Facebook killing, shot and killed himself after a brief pursuit in Erie County, Pennsylvania, this morning, the Pennsylvania State Police said.
He should have posted it live....
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George