negligent discharge at Sig Sauer academy

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

negligent discharge at Sig Sauer academy

Post by M-Quigley »

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/04/0 ... ng-school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He is believed to have had his finger still on the trigger as he attempted to put the pistol into its holster, according to Soares. The discharged bullet then grazed the man’s leg, Soares said. No one else was harmed.
Brian D.

Re: negligent discharge at Sig Sauer academy

Post by Brian D. »

Some good advice in that article; I agree that there's no need to be speedy putting a gun back in the holster. [This next part is MY opinion, not from the article] It's also critical..no, necessary..for training and practice to use holsters that don't collapse when the gun is out. You want to carry in the real world with a Remora 'Sticky' because it hides so well or whatever, fine and dandy. But don't show up using it to shoot anyplace that has someone like me as a range safety officer; it ain't happening.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:Some good advice in that article; I agree that there's no need to be speedy putting a gun back in the holster. [This next part is MY opinion, not from the article] It's also critical..no, necessary..for training and practice to use holsters that don't collapse when the gun is out. You want to carry in the real world with a Remora 'Sticky' because it hides so well or whatever, fine and dandy. But don't show up using it to shoot anyplace that has someone like me as a range safety officer; it ain't happening.
I own a sticky type holster and know exactly what you mean. I haven't used it much, preferring the IWB holster that I normally use for various reasons, one of them being it doesn't collapse when empty. I found with the sticky holster it was easier to just remove the holster, insert the gun and then replace it IWB rather than trying to reholster it one handed. Using two hands to reholster might be a inconvenience if you're also holding a cell phone after a defensive encounter, which is something some people don't consider at the range. If someone uses a sticky holster on a regular basis, perhaps they can clue me in on a better method.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Collapsing holsters create a very bad safety habit for users: They muzzle their weak hand holding the rig open during re-holstering. That's based on a ton of observation at several ranges where I was running the timer and trying to be a range officer/instructor.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Exactly.

But the real issue is one of knowledge/know-how, which M-Quigly demonstrated in his post below:
M-Quigley wrote: I found with the sticky holster it was easier to just remove the holster, insert the gun and then replace it IWB rather than trying to reholster it one handed. Using two hands to reholster might be a inconvenience if you're also holding a cell phone after a defensive encounter, which is something some people don't consider at the range. If someone uses a sticky holster on a regular basis, perhaps they can clue me in on a better method.
The same kind of consideration should be paid to minimalist holsters such as the MIC, the RSC Vanguard-series, and the like.

Every piece of gear serves (or, rather, should serve) a specific purpose, and if that's the need to more deeply conceal or to shift the bias more towards comfort - particularly if that's going to be a factor in whether or not that person will actually truly-everyday-carry- that's absolutely fine, but the user of that piece of equipment should understand what the trade-offs may be, and to practice techniques which will help overcome any safety issues.

In terms of the scenario that you posed, M-Quigley, I don't think it's inconceivable that the end-user could either put his/her phone on speaker (or even to just pop it in a pocket for a little while) so that they can safely reholster, or, if they had to make movement, they could carefully tuck the hot gun under their support-side armpit [being aware of what/who they may be flagging with the muzzle, should they choose to do so) while retrieving and staging the holster.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio